Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hood open or closed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49toad, Jun 7, 2010.

1. 49toad

49toad

Should a Custom be shown with the hood and doors open or closed? I have a 49 Olds with a Watson style scollope paint scheme. It has a 57Olds j-2 motor and has a 50's style interior. I think it brakes up the profile and paint schemeto open the hood and doors. Hot rods are ok with the hood open but I think a custom should be showned with closed. What do you think?

2. Closed hood for sure...

3. well it depends.. how nifty does the engine bay look? if its nicely detailed with some good chrome and paint id say leave the hood open. as for the interior i say leave the doors closed.. one can always look through the window...

4. cretin

cretin

5. Rikster

Rikster

closed... no matter what!

6. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Closed. Looks better in photos.

7. +1 for closed

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Closed. Always closed.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Closed unless it's an indoor show that requires it.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

11. 2002p51

2002p51

Another vote for closed.

Nothing breaks up the lines of a car, any car, more than an open hood.
    Totally screws it up for photos too!

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

closed. even if it is an indoor show that requires it.:D

nothing worse than a nice custom with doors, trunk and hood opened. if you are at an indoor show, put a big photo of your cool motor in your display

13. All these "Closed Minded" opinions! :rolleyes: ... but I agree with them ... whether a Custom or a Hot Rod; the doors, hood & trunk should always be closed when the car is being "shown" at an outdoor event.

14. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I used to keep it closed 90% of the time and open it for a little bit thruout the day,
    but mostly closed.

15. X2 for the Rikster quote

Unless it has really shitty lines to the paint, then well, who cares

16. CruZer

CruZer

Closed. No if ands or buts.

17. Since HOT RODS are all about the motor and power (or at least they should be) I think they should show them off. But customs N E V E R!

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If it is a custom and it looks better with the hood open, then you have some other problems to work on.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

gotta post again... I like to take lots of pictures at shows. I'll most likely not bother if the hood is open since it will be a crappy picture pretty much no matter how you try to make it look good. I've even asked people to close thier hoods so i can get a good shot of a car I really like.

where's all the hood open defenders? there must be some here since hoods are opened on many cars at shows. c'mon.. stand up for yourselves.

20. Closed, they'll ask you to pop the hood once in a while if they want to see the mill.

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Real Hot Rod's don't even have hoods, no brainer for me.

22. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Closed, but roll down the windows, and post a big picture of that bitchin engine compartment.

23. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

This is a very good post, a question I have often thought about, thanks for posting

24. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

It doesn't matter what kind of car it is, I prefer the hoods closed. Nothing irritates me more than getting the perfect angle of the perfect picture of the perfect car and it's ruined by an open hood or trunk. I don't care what you're spare tire looks like, or the chrome and shiny bits on your mill, just leave it closed...

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm one of those who hates to have my hood open no matter what but I can go with Darrin and have it open for a bit every once in a while.

26. VonWegener

VonWegener

these car show pictures with them cars in a row with open hoods always make me think of a Jump Start Competition.
    Gentlemen get your cables-ready -set-jump!!!

27. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Open just enough to peek inside.. about 3 inches.

28. Spike!

Spike!

Closed. Why build a car with flowing lines, only to ruin them?

Spike

29. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I went the the Ocean City Maryland car show.Lots of cars.Hundreds.and I came home with only a hand full of photos....95 percent of the cars had there hoods open.You cant get a decent photo of a car with it open.Was pretty bummed to say the least to come home w only a handful of photos

30. Dave B.

Dave B.

Open or closed according to the owner's preference during the show, but always open for judging.

In most of the clubs in our area, a closed hood is a guaranteed way to NOT get a trophy. At least in our club, points are awarded for (1) paint and body (2) interior (3) engine compartment and (4) chassis. Losing a quarter of your points isn't a good thing!