Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ak millers mexico race car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitro29, Oct 24, 2007.

1. nitro29

nitro29

I need some help in tracking down information on how Ak miller adapted a 35 Nash overdrive to a 37 Lasalle trans any help would be much appreciated, Now all I need is a 35 nash overdrive

2. This is the car that the tranny was in, I think. I love the stories about Ak Miller

El Caballo de Hierro or The Iron Horse.* Famed oldsmobiloe powered Hot Rod created by Ak Miller to run in the 1950’s Mexican Road race, or The Pan-Americana Road Race.
    Ak was the president of the SCTA after WWII, and one time Vice President of NHRA.
    Ak said that the car did well in the twisting turns of the mountains and at altitude, but the bigger European and American cars would go faster on the straightaways.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. rseifer

rseifer

The car in the photo is a fink Caballo. Ak Miller's race car was eventually sold by Ak to some fellow who rebodied the car and raced somewhere, I believe, here in California. The original car eventually disappeared. I don't know who built the replica.

4. Knowing Ak, he probably machined up an adaptor to fit the Nash OD tailpiece on the La Salle tranny. You might find it easier to locate an overdrive unit off a Saginaw or B-W 3-speed trans than the Nash unit. Hope that helps.

5. I'm sure someone machined an adapter, but I promise you it wasn't Ak! Ak was a lot of things, but a machinist he was not.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Uh, yeah... I stand corrected! :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Back in the day , HOT ROD had stories about that car, can't say how much real detail they got into.

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Sounds likr you alresdy hsve the LaSalle transmission. My old MoToR's Manual doesn't show Nash having an O.D prior to 1936. Ak probably chose the early Nash unit because it was non-electric. Various forms of the the non-electric were used in Nash, Studebaker, Chrysler and Desto in the '36-'38 time frame. They appear to be more easily separated from the main box than the later and much more available electric B-W R-10 & R-11 units used in '49 & up Ford or Merc or Chevy '55 - '6?. The degree of difficulty in adapting to the LaSalle would probably be the same for all.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. av8

av8

The replica of Ak's car was built by Vern Tardel for Bruce Glasscock (in the late '80s, early '90s).
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk and Jimmy B like this.
  10. Having see the original Caballo, I can say the replica is way too nice. Akton was not one for pretty.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Hnstray and volvobrynk like this.
  11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Info on the OD anywheres? I searched but could not find anything earlier than the electric ones..

12. Old Motor's manual, sixteenth edition, going back to '35 shows several non-electric types. Chrysler, Nash, Graham, Studebaker.
    "36 - "39 vintage

13. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Model A people use VOLVO.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Is that manually shifted?

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

All the Volvo ones that I have worked on were elc shift.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Sea Horse

Sea Horse
    from New York

See the story in Rodder's Journal #32. Supposedly, according to Ak's own words, it was 1935 Nash overdrive.

17. cabong

cabong

Neither Ak nor Ray Brock ever said exactly how it was done, but they said it was not difficult to mate the Nash OD unit to the tail shaft of the of the LaSalle tranny. It had a lever that stuck up right beside the drivers seat.

18. cabong

cabong

Yes indeed, Vern did all the initial construction on the reproduction of the racer, but Ak and Ray Brock dismantled the entire car and rebuilt it their way. Then we, Ak, Ray, my wife Nancy and I took it to Mexico for the 1991 Carrera.

kidcampbell71, Dean Lowe and Hnstray like this.
  19. cabong

cabong

You're correct on the "nice" part, however, this photo was taken at a concours at Silverado, and the nose and hood are new. I took out a 1 ton hay bale in England. This pictue was taken in 1954 at the Carrera, by my very good friend, now departed, Bob Lytle. Bob Lytle Carrera 001.jpg

Dean Lowe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Bruce,

What has happened on the later Ak Miller sports car? The Kurtis chassis, hemi, alloy envelope body, burned once in shop fire, rebuilt then wrecked in Italy? I think you told me it had been located in a chicken coop or similar shed.

21. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Thanks, Jimmy!

I guess it is just further proof of the small size of the car nut community, but about ten years ago I sold Tom Shaughnessy a rough Ferrari 365 GT4 I had purchased many years earlier with the idea of parting it out to build a hot rod using its engine, trans and suspension.

Jimmy B likes this.
  22. cabong

cabong

Hey Terry, I reckon you have seen in the previous post what has become of the "blob". I had been friends with Bob for many years before he sold the EC II to Tom. It was really an interesting racer. The last picture taken of the El Caballo was sitting beside the EC II. Sadly, they were pulling parts from the El Cabong, as Ak called it, and installing them into the new one. Seats, steering wheel, gauges, wheels and tires, etc. If you look at the HRM cover picture of the new car, you can see the seats, still in the red upholstery.
    Hope all is well, and gimme a call when you have a minute.....Bruce

Terry, I think you'd appreciate this unpublished picture taken at the 1954 Carrera, by none other than Bob Lytle May he rest in peace.... Bob Lytle Carrera 001.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.