Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing A/C to my F100.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jun 6, 2010.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am installing an early mustang under dash a/c unit into my 1960 F100 and need some help working out what attaches to the rear of the unit to support it. :eek:

I can fab up something easily enough, but would like to get a better idea of what was originally used and what it looked like? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. Try a Mustang restoration website.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Ive tried search but it dont show the attachment end I am looking for.

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Been there, done that a dozen times, first time was in '65 with a Kook King in a '56 Ford. The mount brackets are there, bolt them to the bottom flange of the dash. Sometimes the plumbing is enough to hold it steady, so after the plumbing is attached, if needed add a stabalizer support to the rear, resulting on it hanging on three points.

Attached Files:

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for your response, what does the original rear support on the firewall side look like???

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well, I have learnt from outside our forum that the rear support is basically a jacking screw that carries part of the weigh and steadies the unit.
    In the Mustang I am told it jacks off the floor area.

However, in my case the F100 has a removable transmission cover which I would like to keep free from any restrictions.

So I decided to fabricate a small bracket to do a similar job, but mount off the firewall.

This is what I have ended up with.
    It is a tight fit with the heater ducts, but a couple of modifications with bends should clear everything.

I figure posting questions is good but finishing the thread once the problem or issue is solved will go a long way to helping our archives and provide answers worth reading for folks who do bother to search before starting a new thread.

Attached Files:

7. VonWegener

VonWegener

Hi Fifty - I have been contemplating using the same Mustang A/C unit in my '56 F-100.
    How noisy is the unit? It should be able to cool down such a small space as a pickup cab real quick. Please keep informing us on your progress.
    Thank You
    Mike

8. wow that looks really sharp!

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

They don't make much noise,I am putting the same one in my '54 Ford sedan it may have sat a while so some noise from the fan was present I gave the squirell cage a couple of squirts with teflon liquid wrench and it hushed up.I will also have to fab up a rear bracket,what compressor are you going to use? If any one has swapped in a 351W I have a compressor mount for sale.

10. VonWegener

VonWegener

I am using the complete 302/AOD drive train out of a late eighties crown Vic. Serpentine belt and all. Good to hear that the units are silent. I always liked the looks of the Mustang units.

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'll be damned. I happen to have the exact same issue. I never in a million years would have thought of that! Awesome!

My aftermarket unit doesn't have a obvious place like yours to put a rear mount, so I think I'll just make something kinda wider and that should do.

In the meantime I'll wedge an old catalog or something in there to hold it up :D

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I'll be using a Sanden 508A compressor.
    I will fabricate my own engine brackets to suit.

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I like these Mustang units as they look kinder period correct for my old truck.
    Note that you will need to try and fit it as close as possible to the heater on the passenegers side so as to give yourself enough leg room to reach the accelerator pedal.

I got a T700R tranny going in so I have removed the clutch pedal and will re-work the brake pedal to be a little more ergonomically comfortable.

I also found that the steering column was off center which was an annoyinmg thing, so I discovered the dropper has slotted holes, so I centered up in line with the speedometer, looks much nicer now.

I am currently trying to work out a way to keep my original column and horn since I have changed the steering and lose the wire thru the center of the steering shaft.

I am experimenting with a contact on the external face of the steering shaft to get around this issue.

If anybody wants to keep this thread going with F100 modification ideas etc please feel free to do so.

Attached are pic's of my compressor unit and also the universal setup I am using at the end of the original column.

Attached Files:

14. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well, I finally got all my a/c stuff fitted and sorted out.
    Just waiting for an a/c guy to come over and gas it up for me.
    Followed closely by an auto electrician to wire up all my new additions.

Attached Files:

15. I have a 60' as well and have been contemplating what my alternatives are. It gets too hot here in the desert to not have one. I like the classic style and period correctness of it.

Sweet looking truck by the way!

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks fauj and I hope you can get your project a/c'ed soon.
    It is worth it.
    Dont forget to post some pic's.

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've been meaning to do an update regarding my a/c unit install.
    It has been running for some time now and cools well, is not overly noisy and can just be used as a fan on a mild humid day.

More info on my build can be seen on these threads;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=366906

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=663175

I would recommend installing an a/c unit in any daily driver or long distance hauler.

Hey if it is not traditional, you can always just leave it turned off.
    Got to say my wife and kids appreciate joining me more often on trips now that I have a/c in the truck.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Those links are DOA,I used the mounts and York compressor and condenser and receiver dryer from a 1965 Mustang in my '54 Customline and converted to 134a,she blows 40 degree air at 90-95 outside temps here in Phoenix.What some folks don't know is the York compressors have a larger cubic foot capacity than the smaller Sandens and even if it may draw a few more HP running the electric fan offsets that issue.Here is some pics of the install: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=34689

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I believe you are correct with regards to the York compressor, however I was talked out of it due to its weakness for leaks.
    In my case it was just easier to go with a new Sanden and be done with it.

I am sure your unit is more efficient...

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Try these or post the link lines into your header at the top of your screen if still not working properly.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=663175

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=366906

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Feedback from my experience with this project is;

1. Be nice if somebody made a plastic copy of a Sanden compressor so it would be easier handling and setting up a light weight version over trying to man handle the real thing, especially leaning over into an engine bay like that of the F100's and similar.
    Like they do with some engine blocks...
    Maybe even with pipe ends so it would be easy to confirm line clearance out of the compressor in tight situations.

2. I got caught with a particular belt length that is causing me problems with slippage as the bracket I used for the power steering pump just does not have enough adjustment over time as the belt stretches a little.
    Something I am going to have to go back and correct once the belt chirp gets the better of me.