Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage York NSRA Observations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Jun 5, 2010.

1. 5window

5window

After finishing work early,my buddy and i headed down the 80 miles of highway to see what was up. Others have posted pictures,so here's what we thought:
    1. Most of the cars were still traditional year street rods. There were a few lost souls with 70's Cadillacs and Corvettes, but most of the later years were done well with a lot of drag cars and we don't mind a few Chevy II pro-street cars anyway.
    2. Car numbers seemed about the same as last year-fine, but well down from the heydays-it would be interesting so see NSRA #'s. Total, how many pre-'49's didn't come, etc.
    3. I think vendors, and crowds in the exhibit halls were up a bit but there was still only one wing of the old exhibition building filled and before last year it was always 2.
    4. The primary demographic is still 60 year old Caucasian males. Still, since I'm 61 I got a $2 Senior Discount on the $14 entrance fee. Parking is free.
    5. The swap meet is interesting but considering the size of the show, really weak. My buddy observed that since these are street rods, nobody scrounges for old parts to adapt or fit, they go inside the exhibit halls and buy new stuff to have someone bolt on.
    6.There are lots of well done, but not terribly original cars. These are definitely street rods rather than hotrods-there are lots of purchased parts without much original thought-skill but not imagination.
    7.There are not many green street rods. Since I am planning on the A being dark green with black fenders, this is fine with me.

There are some deals. MAC's bring your stuff down for free, Summit racing offered $20 off a $100 order, Speedway offers free shipping on stuff over $100 I needed five different items, found them all, had a good time, it didn;t rain (unlike the Carlisle Ford Nationals where they got creamed on Thursday).

I will go back next year.

2. Same basic experience at NSRA Springfield (Missouri) last week. Swap meet was good. Car count was about the same. Mostly pre 49 but there were a number of newer rides. Vendor participation was down and a lot of their stuff was deeply discounted.

3. ken1939

ken1939

The word isnt out yet on the "up to 1980" I think.

Most of the people that I know who still go wanted to go one more year, before all the other stuff started to show up in numbers.

I dont know what will happen with the NSRA and all of this, I think some markets will explode with Pre-1980 cars, I suspect the Nationals will be the first that way due to its size and location. York, who knows, it may just get smaller, or become a glorified car cruise.

2002 was my last NSRA event, death of one of my last friends from those days kinda sealed the deal for me. The remaining people I know are now converts of the trailer and catalog car. Hey nice if you have the money for someone to build you a ride, but writing a check isnt that hard. They dont look at all the cars, mainly cause they dont understand them. Its about going away, driving around, early dinner and in bed by 9.

In the summer there is almost a cruise everynight in our area, sounds like the same thing to me.

I wish the NSRA and Goodguys all the luck in todays market.

4. fatabone

fatabone

It would be nice to see a full swap meet and the buildings full of vendors. These have been slacking off quite a bit over the last few years. As for the year change I liked it and will still go as long as the show is happening.

5. Hey Junior...I couldn't agree more with you. I thought the show was pretty good. The lack of flea market vendors was disappointing but like was said in another thread, the Pa. Tax dept. is ruining the flea markets in Pa. for out of state vendors...nuff said on that.

I think the show itself was a good one and I was talking to an NSRA rep. who stated that the deal with the year cutoff was being discussed at the home office...so look for some news on that front. In spite of all the presumed negatives...there were many positives...I'll go back next year.

Hey Jr. did you see my new ..to me..39 Ford? all traditional...Flatty, 97's, duals, R&P...I'll bring it by one day soon. Later

Murph:cool:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  6. oj

oj

It wasn't as obnoxious as it could have been. Well, that is a little harsh but when i examined a beautiful 40 ford coupe, with a flattie and appreciated the attention to detail and body fit etc when i looked around around it was parked next to a bigblock el camino sitting near a cobra kit car. There is hair in the soup. York is big enough, the promotor smart enough, the organizers experienced enough to have some kind of segregation and flow so that spectators (remember them?, they're the ones paying to get in?) can focus on what interests them.
    I found the venders limited but informative and i learned stuff; the swap meet underwhelming but i scored.
    One thing for sure, once you accept that it is a car show and there is room for everybody there were some beautiful hot rods. I favored the traditionals but quality spoke for itself and i fell in love with many different cars, eras and looks.
    I'll go back, maybe drive one up there and participate - maybe (i doubt it, i just cann't sit around one spot and bs all day. After 20 min i'll be bored as anything and gone in an hour, oh well)

7. 5window

5window

The most interesting car I saw was the Andy Kassa coupe from the Early 50's. I don't really know the history of this car other than the placard, but it has a Barris medallion on it and the rear end looks Barris'y to me.

Attached Files:

8. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I agree! I just saw this car as I was driving out. Thanks for posting the pics. That engine was a knockout!

I was there all day Sat. Despite some threatening clouds, the weather held out ok, with an occasional light breeze and partly overcast skies, no rain.

Overall it was an ok show. Mostly street rods, though. Only about a dozen or 2 newer cars seen scattered about, among probably 3000 plus cars. I saw a couple Stangs, a Camaro, a few Chevelles, 2 Corvettes, a 70's psychodelic van, a Triumph TR6, an Isetta, and a few other cars that kinda looked out of place, but no rice burners, no Chevettes or Citations.

I saw fewer outrageous in-yer-face rat rods, and a good number of really nice traditional style , tastefully done hot rods and customs. But you had to look for them.

9. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

The car show thing for me isnt what it used to be when I was a really little kid (which was only about 15 years ago) but this show sparked some excitement from me. I was happy to see some traditional styled builds, like that brown hemi model A, saw a few, what I call "rat rods done right", like that A tudor that was belly panned unchopped, and that pickup with the straight six in it. TONS of street rods, lack or originality and they have never really appealed to me, but its still nice to see compared to dirty rats and the typical run of the mill muscle car. Saw some new-age cars that really held my attention for a while, and a handful of very nice customs. Plan on going next year, overall consider it successful.

10. Andy built this car in the '50s. It went through a lot of changes through the years ( under Andy's ownership).
    In 1963 George Barris built the "Cyclops" grille shell that the car was last shown with ( hence the Barris crests).This was done on one of Andy's show trips to California. The car is now back in " Ruby Rod" trim, it's most popular and well-know configuration, thanks to the efforts of Ron Meola (1935Ron here on the HAMB).

Attached Files:

11. Graystoke

Graystoke

My observations:
    - Low number of swap meet vendors
    - only a couple of Vettes and T-Birds
    - some nice '50s cars
    - Already have too many Camaros
    - I missed the ShamWow guy
    - not near as many Muscle Cars as I expected
    - just about enough Tri-5 Chevys
    - a good number of traditional rods but I'm kinda gettin tired of black & rust
    - other than that, it was pretty much Nats East as usual..... a good show

12. CHOP36

CHOP36

I enjoyed the the cars that were there . I been to all the Nats East from the first one. I think it was good. The vendors were off .It was good to see younger people walking around like it was 20 years ago.I go along with Graystoke it was like a normal Nats East

13. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Ah - Nats East was good...but I agree that there are just about as many Camaros as I can take....not many Mustangs and I'm not complaining.....Great Event ! Plenty of variety for everybody.
    It seemed to me that fewer cars were for sale, and it looked like whitewalls are getting more popular again.

My only complaint is that my camera lens broke and I never got many photos.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  14. playtag

playtag

I have to agree the swap meet section really lacked.But overall still some nice stuff.Can't really blame the people for not showing up to vend with the weather forecast what it was.Was down friday and just pulled out in time to beat the afternoon shower.They where originally calling for more showers Saturday.However I did find some stuff.always eem to come home with something.I must admit I was really disappointed with all the fiberglass I saw there.

15. yekoms

yekoms

Great one day event for me. I've been busy with house and family stuff so I was up for a car fix. I missed Carlise,Jalopy Sowdown etc.
    An hour and a half ride with a friend in his model A,hang with more friends,checkout a bunch of cars,pick up acouple parts for the coupe.
    Each car event has it's own personally. The 1980 thing doesn't bother me at all. One of my dailies is a 79 Malibu wagon. I think it's funny that if you have an '82 Malibu/ElCamnio you can lie your way in as an '80. Kind of like the '50 Chevy trucks as '48s.
    Smokey

Smokey

16. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Al Couldn't find you, Had the sprint,indy and dirt mod albums with me ....Rich

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

It was a good show with lots of great traditional rides. Saw and hung out with some good friends and scored a couple needed things from the swap meet. Didn't mind the newer stuff either.
    -Jerry

18. Clark

Clark

Opening the show up did bring in some nice 50's and 60's cars. I loved the 56 Dodge elcamino!

And the muscle cars were not too bad this year.....BUT muscle cars tend to be like cockroaches and infest the shows around here. Look at Ocean city. It was a cool show before it became the Nova nationals. I hope I'm wrong!

Nats East hasn't been the same for years. It's been about ten years since the faigrounds was active in the evening.

Venders and swapmeet were definately down this year.
    Clark

19. CruZer

CruZer

Nats East hasn't been the same for years. It's been about ten years since the faigrounds was active in the evening.

Venders and swapmeet were definately down this year.
    Clark[/QUOTE]

You're right on, Clark. When they stopped the camping the cruising at night stopped and that's when NSRA "ruined " the best show on the east coast. I went every year from 1990 to 2005 and have some great videos and memories of the bands playing outside near the grandstand , the food vendors open, and cars cruising the fairgrounds until 11pm . The first warm summer evening in the NE and meeting so many people who loved that show.

I don't go anymore. It's not the same.
    Glenn

20. You're right on, Clark. When they stopped the camping the cruising at night stopped and that's when NSRA "ruined " the best show on the east coast. I went every year from 1990 to 2005 and have some great videos and memories of the bands playing outside near the grandstand , the food vendors open, and cars cruising the fairgrounds until 11pm . The first warm summer evening in the NE and meeting so many people who loved that show.

I don't go anymore. It's not the same.
    Glenn[/QUOTE]

Agreed, has not been the same from the time they stopped camping, not that I camped,,, but the carnival like atomosphere stayed well into the wee hours, keeping the food concessisions open ,and a few outdoor vendors who wanted to stay open kept people there and kept them happy. People leave the fairgrounds now around 5 or so to eat at all the local canned ,,, fast food joints,,,in stead off the fairgrounds,,, and then its dead,,,, maybe there was a understanding (deal cut).
    I do not like the fact that it is a open the rolling 30 year is a bit much for me,,,It stinks

I have not missed a Nats East since they moved to York PA from Timonium Maryland,,,, not sure if I will go next year or not but if I do it will be to see a few friends that I only get to see there.

They need to change the name

21. 1oldrat

1oldrat

I enjoyed it.Had a blast with good friends.Swap meet was down but I sold what I figured would sell.Remember an 80 malibu is 30 years old now.I saw alot of nice 50's-60's cars. You're right Clark that Dodge Elcamino was nice.

22. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Clark, Glenn, Ron, I have to agree with all of you, the car counts been down,the venders,swapmeet, and even the arts and craft sections( had to do the good boyfriend deal with the future X ) keep on shrinking,even Trailer Town's count looked a little low also, possibly the economy, fuel and motel prices going up, nsra's vender prices or the irs guys with their hands out is having an effect,but it's not the same as when there was camping on the fairgrounds. The "Not Street Rods Anymore" needs to change their name, Ron It was great to finally meet you....Rich

23. Clark

Clark

RAB....I'm guessing trailer town is us. Our numbers where down too. The Showdown is getting bigger and is the big outing for most of the guys that used to camp with us.

York just aint what it used to be and probably never will be again. We still have fun but then again we can have fun just about anywhere.
    Clark

24. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Man, after hearing how this show USED to be, running into the night, I really wish I couldve been there then. I'm only 24 and have been into rodding forever-work at a reputable rod shop and everything. I don't remember a single time that I didn't wish I could go out and cruise around at night with cool cars around. Maybe one day itll come back as more and more younger guys get into this stuff-we are out there, and we are becoming more involved in stronger and stronger numbers. Who knows, only time will tell

25. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Hey clark-you mean the jalopy showdown? I missed that-was a best man in a wedding that weekend, but I keep hearing about how good that show is. I'm trying to get my model A done for that show next year. Maybe thats the type of show I'm looking for:):):)

26. Clark

Clark

Best friends wedding on the day of a car event?.....he must not be that good of a friend to do that to you :)

The great part about York was it is a big loop. people would cruise till late hours of the night. There was plenty going on. We where talking about the old days of york today. Some Hillbilly hot rodder running around looking for his daughter ready to kill whoever she was with....then chasing Soup down and telling him to he better get rid of the girl:) Then there was the two girls that got stuck trying to leave in the turn styles that where locked.

My first York was when i was 15. My father dropped me off on friday with a tent his 46 dodge truck and enough money for food. I camped withe the Weekend Warriors on the corner. The Warriors where a real partying bunch in the 80's. I saw lots of craziness that weekend and just about ran all the gas out of the truck.
    Clark

27. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

The other old special feature I used to enjoy back in the good ole days was the off the traffic light drags and burnouts out on Rt 30 at nite. I remember going to the show my first time back in the 80's,and coming off Rt 83, and what i saw off of all the traffic lites looked like the starting line at US 30, that was until the your having too much fun police put a stop to it.....Rich

28. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

york use to be what i waited for all year,last minute trash to get one of my rides together,camping ,touring the fairgrounds with a pile of people in the rod,hell even built a coke cooler just for nats east one year,things sure changed, miss a few years with family & kids stuff,but now kids are older, almost ready to drive & trying to get back into it . my son & i had fun this year,but give ten shows like the showdown & i wouldn't go to an other lawn chair nats again and i only made my first trip to the showdown this year, will not miss another,can't wait for the drags that larry puts on,the cinder track at york sure would be cool to throw some rooster tails, wait i did do that one year, ha ha !!

29. York used to be a fun place ,I would run rt.30 in town wide open in low gear light to light. One day a cop was sitting next to me and smiled as i smoked em from the light. The fairgrounds at night were constant cruising with people lined up on both sides of the road ,those days are sadly gone. But i got video tapes of it somewhere ,i gotta dig them out .

30. Remember them well...