Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 4 Door Merc Build...Sort Of.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Jun 6, 2010.

1. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey All,

I should have done this a long time ago. I didn't do it, because I was a bit embarrassed by reading some of the build threads, and knowing that 90% of theme were dont by guys working on thier own cars, and I don't. It's not hat I am not motivated, but many factors. One, I have not a single piece of knowledge on how to work on a car. Second, I don't own a garage, which doesnt matter, because I wouldnt know what to do with a garage, refer to factor 1. Lastly, refer to factor 1.

Its not that I dont have the desire, it's just that I'm 38, have never been very techincal or hands on, and because of my job there's no way i could go to school or stock up on tools, and work on a car in my living situation.
    I ust really got into cars, 2 years ago.That's my story. All you (Lately) A-Holes that have something to say about how I go about having my ride, can keep your opinions to yourself. All the rest of you guys, the respectable, and Honorable HAMBERS who want to give opinions on the work you are seeing, then please critic as often and however you want..

So about 10months ago, I just finished a tour, and wanted to "add a check to the bucket list." Gets real gay now..oh forget it, i'm not telling you guys, lets just say a certain black convertable Merc from a movie, sparked my love for a certain said vehicle. BEcause of having a very busy life, and the dream of being able to own something like that car, became a forgotten dream. Until I met mywife, and all of a sudden ( my wifes family is huge in the car world) that forgotten dream of owning a Merc, came back..

So I start the search, and I go through Ebay, Antique Auto trader, etc. etc etc.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. HRod 50

HRod 50

I fell in love with her the minute I saw her.......

Attached Files:

3. HRod 50

HRod 50

I question the seller, seems like a nice enough guy. Good Ole boy from Texas.. He swears the car is in excellent shape. So I call a local car shop in Arlington, and ask them if they would check on this car for me, and I'll pay them. They go, and then tell me. The car is an excellent car, good driver BUT they couldn't give me a full inspection because they were not able to lift the car and get underneath. Refer to #1, ( Means I know shit about cars ).. I pull the trigger....

4. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

If that is your dream car, then good luck to you.

-KK

5. VonWegener

VonWegener

HeHe - you got bit and now there is no turning back. Right now you think that you own the car but soon you will find out - like all of us - that these damn cars own us.
    I see a move to a place with a garage in your future..........

6. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Kool now go buy some black paint.

7. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not everyone has the time or skills just as you point out. There are LOTS of guys on here who out source some work, including all of it. Look at some of the posts put up by members who own shops. Now you have her though you have a real chance to "learn" a lot out the hobby by doing what you can and even starting some of what you cant. Its amazing what you can achieve with a couple hundred dollars worth of tools which you can carry back into your pad.

Good luck with the car, keep posting updates and I hope it works out well for you.

9. HRod 50

HRod 50

I was going to ge all wordy, but then I figure screw it.. Just straight pics. If anyone asks any questions I'll answer..

I get the car, and send it to the local Pep Boys, to get it checked out. The reason Pep Boys, one of the guys who works there has a fully retored 74 Chevelle, and being that my car has a camaro rear ed, and front clip. Just about everywhere will have parts for it.....

Attached Files:

10. HRod 50

HRod 50

Then, almost immidiately, the problems begin.. I wake up one morning, and the smell of gass is everywhere.. Look a cracked gas tank, driping on the exhaust.. Tht can't be good..

Attached Files:

11. HRod 50

HRod 50

More tomorrow.........

12. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

What?!!!.....I was making popcorn!!!!!

13. HRod 50

HRod 50

OKay one more so after farting around looking for a shop. i happen to, by chance find a shop, and not close, but not far like another state... Extreme kustoms in Wildomar, ca. Rick Erickson. From the minute I spoke to him, I felt at ease that I found the best man for Dream Car.

For the A-Holes... By dream car, I mean just owning a Mercury, especially from the year 1950. Owning something this old or even older has always been a dream of mine, and it being a Merc to constatntly remind me of the movie Merc, makes it even more special.. Is this car perfect no, is this car for everyone no. I'm not perfect and I'm not for everyone. Match made in heaven..

My hopes are to amke this a "show-ish" daily driver car, but for now this is what i got...

14. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Very cool! keep posting! I wanna see more!

15. HRod 50

HRod 50

I speak to Rick, and tell him. I just spent some money to get this car up and running, but that the gas tanks leaks. We find out that the previous "owners" whoever it was knotched the gas tank so that the leafs could be installed. Well, thats where the leak was coming from, the knotch.. So I knew I wanted to get the car bagged, but I just didnt want to do it so soon.. But since I'm going to have to get a new tank and get that one knotched, or bag the car now, and install a new tank.. bam, 2 problems solved.. while atthe shop I ask Rick to cehck out the rest of the car, and tell me if there's anything that should really be done now. OR can it wait and i'll have twhat I want done, little by little over the comng months, or even years...

then i get the call from Rick, and it went something like this.. We need to really talk. I got bad news.... UGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

16. HRod 50

HRod 50

Sneak PEak, tired going to bed. Going to Pomona Swap Meet tomorrow bright and early to buy a Steering Wheel. FUCK! DOES IT EVER END!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

17. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Oh shit!!!! is that inner rocker panel? or a frame section??!!!

18. louie the fly

louie the fly

Nope!

I like the car though. Nice colour, but if it were mine I'd lose the flames. But it's not mine is it. Hope you get it sorted and drive the wheels off it.

Louie

19. Nice car.
    But
    Get rid of the constant "A-Holes" references.

20. I think those are sclames. Not knowing shit about cars, and purchasing a car of ebay is a bad concoction. Have fun.

21. Muttley

Muttley

I'm almost positive there was a post on the HAMB about that same car about a year or so ago. I'm pretty sure the guy who was planning to buy it was advised to run in the opposite direction as fast as possible.

22. joee

joee

the merc you bought has been passed around in the last year.....figured it was weak....so now you either fix it or pass it on...if you don't know about old cars,hot rods,kustoms etc. ys pays ur money and take ur chances.

23. Heo

Heo

No its newer ends thats why most of the owners
    of old cars have to be able to work on them self
    I know many that not know anything about cars
    that bought what they thougt was a cool nice car
    OHHH nice colour....but its so much more. 50-100
    years old junk you have to work on all the time
    but we are stupid enough to like doing it
    thats why we do it year after year
    If you dont like or can work with junk it just gona be
    a pain in the ass or you can have the car just to look on
    I dont trying to put you down in any way i dont think you are
    a bad person beacuse you dont work on your car
    But thats the way it is

24. listen and lean thats what i do see u guys at pomona finally going to drive the merc there with the new motor hope she makes it

25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice car. And there is nothing like actually finding your DREAM car!!
    As to wrenching and body work building one of your own............not a problem.
    Your pride is owning it, and so what if you didn't build it with your own hands.
    Everybody can't do it all.
    So Enjoy.....
    Oh, and yes, the little things never will end. That is what makes it interesting....
    If it were perfect, you wouldn't have anything more to post on this forum!! :eek:
    Cheers,
    Bob

26. HRod 50

HRod 50

Rick, tells me, there is alot more rust issues than we thought. Come in and take a look..

Attached Files:

27. HRod 50

HRod 50

You are right.. BUT Unfortunately, I didnt know about this Board or this car, until AFTER.. Funny thing is I actually recently emailed a guy who had my car as his avatar, andasked him if he knew anything about it.. He said, he owned it a year ago, and gave it away for 23K,,, hahaha, well i paid less than that from whomever he sold it to, but not cheap enough...

Sorry guys, Grand Combo is playing today, PUerto Rican Day Festival, gotta go. More whn I get back if I am coherent... It gets wayyyyyyyy, better..

28. That paint job is... uh... nevermind

29. HRod 50

HRod 50

For Everyones information.. THis isnt a "Ask Your Opinion" Thread...

I subscribe to the generation of the where IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY< THEN DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL... You guys and all your negative opinions, when no one is asking for them, are really starting to get annoying..

30. HRod 50

HRod 50