Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford that burned at York

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J. Fitzhugh, Jun 5, 2010.

1. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Did anyone else see the white 39/40 Ford coupe that caught fire away from the York fairgrounds on a parking lot off of Route 30?

2. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

I saw it when I drove by Friday night, but have no idea what happened. It was still in the same spot today. Sad.

3. ken1939

ken1939

I know its hard to say now, was it a black car?

4. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

5. The poster says it was a WHITE car.HRP

6. freakboy

freakboy

I saw it its in the parking lot of that body shop(i think its a body shop if not its a wrecker company). that must suck for the owner.. i wana know what happend to it.

7. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

Reminder to self get good fire extinguisher for car.

8. CHOP36

CHOP36

I saw it on RT 30 when i was leaving last night it looked bad.We need to have a fire extinguisher in are cars this shows what can happen.I took mine out years ago and forget about it till i saw this Ford.

9. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

I remember when you could buy Halon fire extinguishers that fit in the glove box. I was looking for a fire extinguisher to mount under the dash and could not find one at any vendor at York. You best believe I will be stepping up my efforts to get mine pronto. I am likely going up to the local airport as I believe the airplane guys have the good stuff. I would bet the boat/marine guys also have good extinguishers.

This might be a lesson we should take from the AACA. I am pretty sure thath you are not allowed to be judged at any of their events without being able to prove you have a CHARGED fire extinguisher.

10. synthsis

synthsis

that sucks. I've got one in my truck, my Scotty camper, my kitchen, and my garage. Hopefully I never need any of them.

11. Toner283

Toner283

Fire extinguishers are cheap insurance against fire. a lot cheaper than replacing/repairing the car. I have had one in every one of my vehicles (even my O/T cars/trucks) since the night that a friends 69 cutlass burned to the ground because none of us had an extinguisher. we had to stand there & watch the car burn to a crisp. Shitty feeling & it wasn't even my car.

I bought the fire extinguishers from a fire system company and I got a bulk discount. I bought ten at once & got a good deal. 4 of them were also chrome for the good cars.

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not only is it a must to have an extinguisher, but it needs to be checked on a regular basis. Ya gotta feel REALLY stupid to grab an extinguisher and find out it's lost it's charge!

13. 50shoe

50shoe

14. 55chevr

55chevr

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I just hate to read stories like this - fires, thefts, accidents, etc. Hope this car owner is ok. A few years ago I watched a gasser style car ignite while driving up on the UPS scales in Louisville. They got it out after a couple of tries. I was having a safety instpection at the very same time the car ignited and got my extinguisher out from behind the driver's seat to help - but I didn't need to. The inspector was thrilled I had one. Lesson two - do not make your fuel lines the lowest parts on your car.

I'm a firm believer in extinguishers - but be sure to mount them where you can get at them easily - like probably NOT in the trunk. While they are useful for fuel-oil or flamable materials, I don't think they'll do much if you have an electrical fire and do not also have an emergency cut-off switch for the battery - to also to stop the "heat" source. And of course, they are also particularly good if you or one of friends also might to need extinguishing. In that case, the hell with the car!

Lastly, remember those little extinguishers only have a few good shots in them and therefore don't last that long. Even with one, you might not get the fire out. Grab your cell phone and wallet - and then bail. Later, Gary

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  16. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Jeez... that's a bad one. Gary

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch, that was a nasty fire that looked like maybe it had an electric fuel pump feeding it.

From my own experience, if you can get your hands on a Halon get one. The epa may not like them but they will put out a fire that a lot of other units will only slow down.

No matter which fire extinguisher you have, mount the thing where you can reach it and not have to hunt for it. I had an rv burn on me two years ago because I couldn't find the fire extinguisher that I knew was there but it was hidden back under the drivers seat.

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

the gentleman ran over an "alligator", or recapped big rig tire cap. Basically they are those long pieces of truck tires that we all see along the road on the interstates. It shot up under his car and cut his fuel line..which ignited. I spoke with a good friend of the gentleman it happened to and got that story. My heart goes out to him. What a shame.

20. chopt49

chopt49

Wow freak accident! This is why I ran race grade braided fuel lines in the '49.

Feel bad for this guy, hope his ins. covers him and he gets a new ride soon.