Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pin Striping info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Jun 5, 2010.

1. fitzee

fitzee

I got my hands on a few cans on one shot and 3 Mack brushed 0,00,000 and been doing a lot of research into this craft.I never did this before so I want to know as much as I can before I get started.I searched here and read almost ever post I could find as well as searched the net for site and videos and found alot of cool stuff but what I can`t seem to find is info on setting up your new brushed and also how to clean and store you brushes.Right now,all I have is five cans of paint and three brushes,what other materials should I have before I jump into this. Been looking at a few books and plan on picking up a few.What is a good book for a beginner??

2. dednburied

dednburied
    from mt holly

Look on you-tube. You'll learn alot checking some of those fellows out.

Also One-shot sells a great brush cleaner. And just store the brushes flat on their sides or hanging brush point down.

Pick you up some cleaner, a smooth piece of glass or metal, and you are good to go.

thanx...Ded N. Buried

3. Join the HAMBstripers group...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=107

Join the Pinhead Lounge...

http://www.pinheadlounge.com/

Read all this...

http://psychoarts.com/Psychoarts_Pinstriping.html

Read Pinstriping and Vehicle Graphics by John Hannukaine.

Get yourself some odourless mineral spirits for cleaning your brushes and thinning your paint.

Get yourself some neetsfoot oil or baseball glove conditioner to keep your brushes nice in storage.

Practice, practice, practice.

While you're at it, read this...

http://www.rockyburris.com/Pinstriping_Lessons/Lesson_1_LearningHowToLearn.aspx

Have fun.

4. fitzee

fitzee

Thanks Big A,lots of great info there. Where would you look for neetsfoot oil??

5. superchiicken

superchiicken

what also helps out is purchassing a piece of TEMPER GLASS ( REGULAR WILL BRAKE AND CUASE INJURY ) 12 by 12 or 24 by 24 or what ever make u happy. its easy to whipe off, but after you get the hang of it you need to practice on sheet metal. also make copies of stripes that u like and blow them up on the copy machine, put them under the glass and trace it, for practice purpose ONLY.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  6. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

gave a link that was posted ..

7. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

8. Mr.J

Mr.J
    from NJ

:)Check out www.xcaliberart.com We've got "how to books",dvd's etc. See us at "arties party" in July @ the Syracuse nats

9. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I got alan johnsons book. Read the whole thing in an afternoon.

10. Get AJ's book.

11. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Another good book is "Pinstriping How To by The Masters" I got that one as well. I have a cookie sheet, that I keep my brushes in, I have a standing bit of baby oil in it all the time. Every so often you change out the oil to keep the dust and shit out of it but that's how I store mine. I would suggest using Kustom Shop Reducer, and to be honest I like there paint aswell. I went from 1-shot paint to Kustom Shop because of the price of 1-shot. Kustom Shop paint is cheaper, but just as good and durable as 1-shot paint is. I also use Kustom Shop brushes exclusively with a few exceptions.

1shot

12. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

13. tuki

tuki

i agree with the Hannukane book.i learned alot from it..but the only way to learn is practice like nonstop and if u have it it will come.anyone can learn the mechanicals of striping but u have to have the eye for it.none of the bogus Ol Skool Rodz magazine stuff..you just need to practice.and dont give up.no fancy cleaner just mineral spirts from the hardware store and store the brushes in nondetergent motoroil.dont waste your money on all the hype.

14. Consider a Herb Martinez pinstripe class too

15. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

Mineral Spirits, Acetone, Laquer thinner is my favorite for 30 years. cleans fast. pallet brush with motor oil and store flat.

16. BarryA

BarryA

Got some from a local horse/tack shop - it's good for leather too...

17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

There's a lot of good advice on this thread . The Hannukaine book is a good start , and maybe a video also. If you can find a striper / sign painter to help with some basics , it would help. good luck .

18. tuki

tuki

i used neatsfeet oil for a while but it turned to glue somehow and was a mess to get out of my brushes.i have no idea why it did that.went back to motor oil

19. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Old sign guys used to put lard oil on there brushes . It works good , but it hard to find and it seperates in cold weather . I've been using motor oil for several years with no bad results .

20. shelby1

shelby1
    from Lillian,Al

I used Vaseline jelly after cleaning with mineral spirits....worked it into the brush and formed it to a nice sword/dagger shape ,it shaped the bristles to stay in place when loaded with paint .The striping in my avatar was done with brush's formed this way........that helmet was one of the first striping that I did.
    Kenny

21. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Opinions vary widely on the oil for storage debate. You just need some kind of oil to keep the brushes from drying out with paint left in them. That said, I know several stripers who clean their brushes thoroughly, then spin them in their hands to sling any solvents out, then store them dry. I use 20w50 'cause I have 8 qts of it after putting the wrong weight in my ram hemi.

22. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Ol'chevy , 8 qts should keep those brushes good for a long time, but I like the hemi story !