Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone know about vintage coats tireman?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FrancoKustoms, Jun 1, 2010.

1. FrancoKustoms

FrancoKustoms
    from EL EY

Does anyone know about vintage coats iron tireman manual tirechanger?

if you have any pictures they would help. I just bought one and I dont know if I have all the parts nec. to dismount and mount tires. Or if you have extra parts you want to sell? thanx

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Post some Pics of what you have,I sold tires back in the 60's & 70's it may jog my memory.

3. howco

howco

I busted many a bead on one of those BB, please send a photo.
    It should have a foot operated bottom bead breaker bar on the bottom that swings 360 degrees, and a flat table. It will need to be securely bolted to the floor.
    It should have a rubber lube bottle hanging on it with a cotton brush, and a top a bead breaker attachment that slips over the top vertical stantion, this one is arm operated.. A bead tool about five feet long, to grab the bead and then you hand swing that puppy around the wheel, takes lots of back. There should be about five or six center cones or wheel adapters for different sized center holes. Have fun.....

4. FrancoKustoms

FrancoKustoms
    from EL EY

Ok finally some pix le me know if you know how it works or what I am missing. I only got one cone for the wheels. I have the bottom and top bead breake. I got one bar it seems to be missing a peice to load on to center pole. let me know what you know about this thing. thanx

Attached Files:

PoTaToTrUcK likes this.

5. that looks like a midevil torture device! my uncle had one in his service station and wow what a bitch to operate.

Tow Truck Tom, stanlow69 and hotrodA like this.
  6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It looks about 95% complete from the one we had in high school autoshop back in '62,to secure the upper bead breaker from climbing the pole we got a piece of bar stock from the machine shop and put in the slot.This is stretching my memory but I think there was a curved foot that pivoted on the end of the mount bar in that bracket next to the bead roller,there were some other long bars without the roller you just used plenty of lube and a few choice words.

Dave Downs likes this.
  7. howco

howco

BB, it looks to be all there, just need a few more center cones, there should have been about four in all and then there was center adapters for the wide pattern ford wheels, VW wheels and early 60's Pontiac Bonneville wide pattern aluminum wheels.
    Well, you are going to get your work out....enjoy my friend.....

8. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I still walk into a shop now and then that has one of those in the corner. Most shops that have them only use it for ATV tires. Worked fine back then mounting skinny bias plys on skinny wheels, using the red inflatable ring to squeeze the tire down so it would take air.

irishsteve likes this.
  9. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

still use one occasionally, works fine. If you do 14" wheels break them and mount them from the shallow side. Don't do nice wheels on one.

10. mgermca

mgermca

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The first time I used one I was sooo excited. My FIRST set of custom wheels for my 63 Catalina. I never worked in a gas station. We had the same machine in the club garage. I bought 4 used chrome wheels from a guy off of a 50 Pontiac. He bought the new Cragars that had just come out. (it looked better with chrome wheels IMHO) I cussed that damn machine. It just would not mount my tires on the fancy chrome wheels. About an hour of sweatin' and cussin' when an older guy asked... "are the tires the same size as the rims"? Duh!:eek::eek: I was trying to mount 14" tires on 15" wheels.:D I was so young and dumn it never dawned on me. Yeah it was along time ago. Some say I never got any brighter.

It will pay for itself in no time if you swap tires and wheels like I have over the years. I no longer have access to one now or I'd have my 5 spokes mounted and setting the car off. Wheels and tires make the car.

fauj likes this.
  12. FrancoKustoms

FrancoKustoms
    from EL EY

thats funny yeah it will pay for itself in just breaking down steal wheels for rims that need tires tossed

13. FrancoKustoms

FrancoKustoms
    from EL EY

thanxs

14. FrancoKustoms

FrancoKustoms
    from EL EY

is yours the same model as the one I got? am I missing a peice that goes in slot of center pole?

15. FrancoKustoms

FrancoKustoms
    from EL EY

thanx yes it has the foot operated hook. I was just wondering what went on the center pole cut out?

thanx I will be looking for the center cones and adapters

16. howco

howco

Good story Tommy, made me laugh........

17. a40lover

a40lover

There is another bar that uses that slot, but Ive never used it. Ive busted a lot of tires on a machine just like yours, mount it solid and get your workout.

18. a40lover

a40lover

The piece missing on the bar is a little "leg" that helps hols the bead during dismount.
    It will work fine without it.

Boneyard51 and jaracer like this.
  19. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

GOOD OLD DAYS CHECK THE TIRES,BATTERY,CLEAN THE WINDSHIELD. ALL FOR $2.00 WORTH OF GAS Fix flats for $ 2.50 AND $ 2.25 per hr. IN WAGES.

stanlow69 likes this.
  20. DSinOR

DSinOR
    from Oregon

Hi - new member resurrecting an old thread.

Tire prices and mount/balance prices are getting insane. Locally, it's $120+ for mount/balance with stems and disposal.

I wanna be able to change my own because I'm cheap and I'm obstinate and I have teenage children to whom I enjoy teaching usable skills.

I shopped online for manual tire changers. Seems like there are 2 options: find an old Coats machine, or buy a new chinese kit from Northern Tool or Amazon. Harbor Freight quit selling their model.

Basic questions:
    The new chinese machines haves specs that say wheel sizes up to 16". Can these changers be used on a 17" wheel? What is the limiting factor?

I read a post from an old hand who said the new changers can be used on alloy wheels without damage if you remove the paint from the working end of the tool and polish the surface for a smooth glide. What say you fellers?

I've read where other old hands say that the art to a manual changer is getting the tire and bar situated properly and using generous lube. If everything is set right, extreme force is not needed. You agree?

Bubble balancer still a viable option?

Lastly - If I find an old coats or similar manual changer, will it work for 17" wheels? If I'm careful and use rags or wood pads, can an old machine be used to change a tire on a new alloy wheel without trashing the wheel?

Thanks!

21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Oh yeah. Get some practice on some junk before doing something anyone cares about. Once ya get the hang of it, it's easy!

22. WQ59B

WQ59B

I have a vintage Coates just like in the OP, only difference seems to be mine has a circular base and a 'base extension' ring about 5' in diameter- really adds to the stability. When you're 'in position' to work, the ring is generally under your feet.

Yea- it's a bit of a workout, but I still use it; I just busted down 5 tire/rims last weekend. I haven't tried larger dia wheels than 15"- I would think you might get into issues where the bead breaker might not reach the bead on something like, say, a 18" or bigger rim- don't know. But I've R&R'd 38" tires on 15" rims with it. My buddy offered it to me for free about 25 yrs ago; yep, he's since asked if I 'want to get rid of it'. ;)

23. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I have one and I have broken down 16' and 17' rims with no problem. Some of the later model rims are too wide to mount, so we mount them upside down.

24. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

you should be able to get it done with what you have, and you actually are lucky, that has a bottom bead breaker too, so you can pop the tire off the bead on both inside and outside without having to flip the tire, good stuff!

25. Harry Wehrman

Harry Wehrman

I've had a Tireman 3 Star since the early 1970's and love it! I couldn't tell you how many tires I have changed and repaired through the years. I might have paid about $40.00 for it and have carried it around with me through the years. You have most of the important parts but are missing a small lever part that helps pop the tire bead over the the edge of the rim. It goes on the long tool and you can see the tang with the hole in it and it goes there. Check eBay and you will see the tool with all its parts. Tire lube is the secret! Use lube and it is easy to operate the Tireman. In a pinch, WD 40 works well. Have fun, start changing some tires!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I still have my manual tire machine, it does have air break down, but then you use the bar to pptake tires off and put them on. Learned on one just like this at age 16 working in a gas station.

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used the same Coats that Franco Customs showed for more tires than I care to remember during my time working for Sears Inglewood than I care to remenber in 62-65. At the end of my time we got a 10-10 super powerman that was easier but took more time. I had a hand machine for years as all racers know you got the machine before you start buying tires. Sold it because my son got an air machine which touched the rims in the 90's....

loudbang likes this.
  28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I can feel the future aches from here.:D

Hotrodmyk and slowmotion like this.
  29. slowmotion

slowmotion

My service station time was with a 10-10, but used the manual one occasionally. Damn handy if you've got the space for one. (I've got friends that do, better yet :D)

30. Ive got a manual iron tireman like the the one pictured. I never use it any more. just save it for Y2K. I use a 1950's Coates iron Tireman with the puematic bead breaker. and a old bishman. I break tires down on the air bead breaker Iron Tireman. and dismount and mount tires on the electric Bishman. Ive got a coates 20 10 and a jim beam but I never use them. Havent paid anyone to fix a tire in decades. I also use a bubble balancer.