Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Zephyr that rocked Santa Maria in bare metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by resqd37Zep, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big creep

big creep

lmao!!!!!! hahahahahahaha! you just made me laugh out loud for real!

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Craftsmanship and hard work will never displace bad taste

3. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

That sounds Naughty-cal. HA! BWAHAHAHAHA!

4. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Why is this thing 13 pages long? I'm starting to think we have way too much free time on our hands.

5. Who's the one who said" I can appreciate the work that went into it...."
    If you don't like it,how can you appreciate anything about it? Except maybe the color!
    Example....
    Another Lincoln.....yea,I know what you're thinking....should have lowered it!!!! hahaha!
    [​IMG]

6. 117harv

117harv

If we the hardcore HAMBer's dont get a chance to cut loose once in awhile, all hell may break loose! I think the moderators know this and let it go for for abit.

7. big creep

big creep

i would rather drive the cat bus.

8. I didn't think it looked that bad,until I saw that side shot! Too squished looking. Roof doesn't flow into the trunk. Just odd looking! Roger O'Dells Zephyr and that tan,un-chopped one have always been my favorites. Oh yeah....that silver one with the yellow highlites from Japan also!!!

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The guy that invented bondo made all this happen :rolleyes:

10. Cat Bus=Pussy Wagon? right?

11. 117harv

117harv

I can appreciate all the hard work that...ah hell i can't even finish the sentence, i have to go throw up.

12. big creep

big creep

hell yea! MEOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW hahahahahahahahahaha!

13. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I said I can appreciate all the work that went into the Zephyr because I know what it takes to achieve a kustom ride. I've been doing this a long time my man. I think people confuse design with execution. The design was a little screwey from the beginning but again I'll tell you, from seeing where this Zephyr came from to where it is now (Wiether one likes it or not) took a shit load of work to get it there.

Only one to dispute that would be someone who has never built anything themselves.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Better change your sig line then

15. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

It is what it says Dude. Read it twice maybe you'll understand :D

16. I agree! Shiny is the new flat black!

17. big creep

big creep

i think it goes a little something like this, opinions are like asshole, everyone has one and they all stink!

18. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

So I'll try to bring this full circle.

Ian's Zephyr looks like a shiny green cat... about to hock a big hairball. Once the hairball gets out, it's shiny back will relax and flow, and the from fender legs will curve a bit. But right now, it looks a bit tortured... and it really is an amazing amount of metalwork... to capture a bald green cat in pain.

Picasso would be proud! (but he was mostly in it for the babes and money).

I'm just lookin', ya know.

19. peter johnson

peter johnson

Hey Ian can u build a red 32 ford roadster to shut the experts up please! why people hide behind a computer to put shit on someone is beyond me.Did anyone say anything to Ian face to face?

20. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

What does a red '32 roadster got to do with this less-than-it-could-have-been Zephyr? It doesn't...

21. I'll take a shot at your question.
    I think he's saying that anyone can build a red 32 (and way too many people do). It's a "safe" way into hot rodding. Just like boring polished torque thrusts. Every other freakin car has em, because they're "safe". Safe meaning, it's no risk for people that don't have the guts to try something different. People with no vision build red 32's. Ian dared to be different and he's getting beat up for it. How'd I do?:D. Like I said earlier. I don't like or hate everything about the car. But, it's better than another God damn red deuce. :p

22. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

It is a sensual shade of green despite its total lack of flow and stance.

23. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

You complain about the hamb and its people,its principles.etc how your a tortured soul riding an exostentialist hurdy gurdy.an artist who is a riddle wrapped in an enigma.and all this other self indulgent tripe,wallowing in your self expressionism,you are the person who sits on the other side.The person who has answers,a creative genious of sorts.You are the person that finds the hamb pathetic....BUT YOU KEEP COMING BACK AND POSTING SHIT.YOUR BORING US TO DEATH!

24. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

There's a reason a red 32 is 'safe'...
    Because if you just assemble one carefully, you'll end up with a nice looking hot rod in the end...
    'Safe' can also be called restraint...
    Restraint seems to be something the builder of the two cars posted here that are linked to 'Ian' lacks...

It isn't about a 'body of work'...
    It's just this car... And I don't think building a "Safe Red Duece" is going to prove anything.

And bashing everyone who's built a Red Duece doesn't make this car suck less...

And just to salvage this thread somewhat and to prove that there's nothing safe about a Red Duece... Bob McGee....
    It's all about the details... Art is all about the details...
    Not bombastic first impressions at the cost of form/purpose...

Attached Files:

25. Well, in short, I disagree that it's all about the details. That's why year after year some ugly duckling wins the AMBR award. I'd much rather see an edgier car that's got style and taste, than a perfectly built ugly duckling. Hey, it's my opinion, and I don't expect everyone or anyone to agree with it. No matter how detailed a red deuce is, I'm still gonna need some N0-Doze when I walk past it. I do, however agree with the bombastic thing;). To be clear, I refer to the every day boring Fire Engine type reds. The pearls/maroons/burgandys/scarlet excluded from my comments. Those colors ROCK, and I saw many beautiful examples of THOSE reds last weekend. Now, I'm off to Pomona Swap Meet.

26. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

I now get the "red '32 roadster" comment. There are plenty out there, and some are actually great cars, even in bright red.

As for "daring to be different", that too is fine, but whether it's a '32 or a chopped Zephyr, just by daring to be different doesn't make it a good or great design effort, no matter what the price or talent of the builder. It is a challenge to change a beautiful car, and a shame to loose the beauty when you do.

27. briancustoms

briancustoms

I love Ian's work, mostly because he doesn't build cookie-cutter, "did it like so-and-so's", cars. You don't see cars like "Space Junkie", "She Swallows", or "Longshanxxx" at every car show you go to.

I just mostly find it hilarious that a strictly "Traditional" board has talked about a custom creation like this for so long.:rolleyes:

28. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

" Strictly Traditional " oh, please stop that, I think I've peed myself caused by my laughter! In just what issue of "The Little Pages" did radial tyres, bags, late model drive trains i.e. sbc, frame clips , catalog parts and overcleared urethane paint jobs become "traditional"? With the possible exception of " The Three Biggest Lies Ever Told " I cannot think of a more abbused word in the english language today!
    The Santa Maria Zephyr/Galpin shows up, well outside of your rangefinder, and you Kool-Aid swillin' stencil yieldin' "traditionalists" are quick to proclaim it as the work of Tammy Fay Baker's make up artist! Ya'll just put the tablet on your tongue, and stare towards the light, you'll be told what to think, and when.
    Hum, I wonder what that weirdo artsy chick is up to tonight?

" The very core of fanaticism is its indifference to things of the mind "

29. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

The madness continues :eek:

30. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

She probably found another board to shake her finger at. But after KIRK! dressed her down, I don't think that she'll flout her two year community college art degree around here again.

-KK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.