Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Yes it's friday somewhere art show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOMONSTER, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sambo

sambo

I know youre cheating - somehow - I just know it!

2. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Cool stuff folks. Rock on....:):cool:

3. Ferbz51

Ferbz51
    from Austin, Tx

Killer work everyone! Bomonster, that image is so cool! Is it old school scratchboard? Here's mine for this week:
    Lincoln8_5x11.jpg

4. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

5. sambo

sambo

FERBZ! That's waaaaay cool! Bomonsters is VERY nice, and J.Jalopy's first are my favs so far, well, so is Owen's, and of course Norwells, and I guess everyone's - they're all killer! Now we need Jigger and LoCab to chime in! Mine isn't hamb material but I was thinking doing them with the locals race #s and brand loyalty tatoos to try to get some $ to fix my 450 I blew up trying to keep up with some 22 year olds.Boy I showed them! I'm too scared to try and sell them though, I either need some encouragement or someone to tell me it's a dumb idea. Please give me your thoughts!

Attached Files:

6. DtroitDinosaur

DtroitDinosaur

Thanks Joe
    Looking forward to your show when I get back from Dan Unda!

7. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Finally got something done art-wise this week. Just finished today so sorry about being late to the show.
    [​IMG]
    14"X18"
    "It's a Gas Gas Gas"

8. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

9. Fowler5

Fowler5
    from Georgia

Just getting around to the computer for the day, what an awesome show this week.
    Bomonster sweet scratches.
    Forty nice Invader
    Janne great looking Boattail
    Jeff Norwell very nice
    Mr Wim nice stripping
    Todd J nice black and whites
    Zombie looking good
    Lowcab great work

There's a lot of great work here, gotta love Friday Art.
    Got something I put together this week, it's got a little Billet on it though. Sorry about that.

Attached Files:

10. MR_WIM

MR_WIM

If you took this photo I was the one standing next to you on your right with a black pinstriped designed t-shirt, red ballcap, and black glasses. You had a black button down shirt on right? The auctioner had some really nice things to say about you and you nodded an acknowlegement to him while folks were clapping. AWESOME artwork![/QUOTE]

lol yup that was me and i do remember you, thank you and really i cant stop thinking of all the kind words he was saying. it felt great to be part of such a great event and then to be announced like that really made me feel like all my efforts were being noticed. thanks again and please stop by and say hello if you are there next year!!!!! : )

MR.WIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. MR_WIM

MR_WIM

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. tinpau

tinpau

Looking good everyone !! Another great Friday Art Show.

Here is my take on DaHulk's 58 Apache Pickup that he put up on the Hub Garage. Thought it would make a great 3d truck.

I had a lot of fun doing it... Hope you all enjoy!

Tinpau

Attached Files:

13. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

nice work Fowler5

14. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Cool Tinpau...I think you could have tightened the clamp a bit more! :D

15. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

OLD SCHOOL IS IN SESSION:

What makes scratchboard art so unique looking is the stark white lines on a jet-black surface. The drama of a scratchboard original is all about capturing light. You create the edge of an object by showing how it looks when lit and leaving the shadows alone. The trick with scratchboard is to do it once and to not make mistakes. Here's how BOMONSTER does it:

Like Detroit Dinasaur's excellent answer on "how long does it take to create?," before I put knife to board, hours and hours are used for drawing the idea on paper, scanning the drawing into a high-resolution digital file and tweaking and tweaking using a Wacom tablet until it's ready to transfer to scratchboard. It's in this stage I can fix mistakes, work out wheel perspectives, shadows, and overall composition.

Once satisfied I've got something worth spending a lot more hours on, I create a black-on-white flipped image of the whole scene and make a B&W Laserjet print. Some people use carbon paper to redraw and transfer their image to the board. Some draw right onto the scratchboard surface over a piece of tracing paper with a ballpoint pen to create a light dented line. BOMONSTER uses Xylene. This stuff is nasty. It melts rubber, plastic and fiberglass, sizzles your skin and one whiff you're out cold. But the good part is that it transfers the ink from the laser print to the scratchboard surface leaving a faint, gray line to follow. With the Xylene spread onto the scratchboard surface, I lay the flipped image laser print down and burnish it evenly to distribute the Xylene everywhere there's an ink line. Before it all evaporates away, the wet laser print gets peeled off and a local HazMat team is called in to properly dispose of the mess.

With a faint guideline to follow on the scratchboard surface, I'm ready to get to work. I learned the Xylene trick from Russ McMullin's online tutorial. He believes EssDee scratchboards are the best and that's what I use. Tape the scratchboard onto a sturdy drawing board under a good light. Using an xacto knife with a #16 blade, start from the the top and work your way to the bottom so your hand isn't dragging over your work. I use these soft cotton archival gloves to insure I don't transfer any oils to the black coated surface.

I scrape away the black using lots of quick, parallel, short strokes digging out just enough black to reveal the white but not enough to remove the white board underneath. It quickly gets messy with little black shavings everywhere. I use a dry paint brush to move the shavings onto the floor so my scratchboard surface is kept clean.

The final scratchboard version is always a bit more detailed than the preliminary drawing because the xacto knife is so fine and it's easy to get carried away with a cool drawing. But don't. If you go too far, it's nearly impossible to bring the drawing back. Here I only added a soft glow around the full moon and some extra bit of detail around the flaming headers beyond what I had worked out on the original drawing. The secret is to change blades often. I read where you can sharpen blades using #600 wet paper but I prefer the feeling of a new blade so I'll use 6 or 7 to create one masterpiece.

Once finished, I'll put under glass into frame - preferably under a mat - to keep the delicate black surface protected. It's a lot of careful and detailed work but the result is a dramatic eye popper. Up close it's easy to appreciate the craftsmanship that created the look - much like an old school hot rod.

Attached Files:

16. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

A '53 Chrysler that I lettered last week. Was lucky enough to get my dad (hand painter since '75) and my 11 year old son to get in on it.
    [​IMG]

17. sambo

sambo

Dutch - I'm working at the Ford dealership by Boise Idaho and every time I open the door to the service cashier I get to see your artwork for the Oldies Drags at Firebird. A real treat! Makes me think of better things than work!

18. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

There Running Gassers at Thompson Raceway Park this weekend

19. Fowler5

Fowler5
    from Georgia

I like the name on that one!

20. Fowler5

Fowler5
    from Georgia

It helps to proof read all things typed, that should be STRIPING, you still got skills no matter how it is spelled.

21. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Am just in awe of all the great work, here is another one that I have been goofing around with.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  22. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I love It!Good to see a painterly approach!

23. Here's a Competition coupe, and a continuation of last week. Shoot for 200 mph club !
    Like most of my race car posts, this idea is vintage hardware on my own contempory body/chassis.

Attached Files:

24. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Very cool sir.

25. Great show everyone. I haven't posted anything for awhile, but have a few new things to share....

Been getting the brushes wet lately with 1-shot.

First up is a metal sign (approx. 12"x18") for the charity auction at the Type 3 Invasion later this month...

[​IMG]

And then I did a few things to take to the Sins of Steel show tomorrow and see if I can sell them...

First up are a pair of 3-D Flying Eyeball Plaques/Bookends/whatever...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally a glass bottle for the heck of it...

[​IMG]

26. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

a few of my favorites

AB

Attached Files:

27. MR_WIM

MR_WIM

lol, just highlighting what was already written!!!! lol all good thank you...... : )

28. vexner

vexner

Awesome work Britt!!

29. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Thanks for that explanation! Interesting process.

Really cool pictures... Polaroid, right?

- Joe

30. Go-Baby-Go

Go-Baby-Go
    from Canada

- Todd I really dig that 'Falcon' Man!!
    - Zombie's Freaked-Out 'Satellite' iz Kick-A**!!
    - Cab's 'Cranked Willy's' SWEET!!

- Just a Flat Out Sick Show this week period!!!

I did another quick-y this week LoL! (6-hrs & counting ... not including the whole-day that I pissed around with this thing at the Stirling Flea-Bag)

It turned into a Long-y, so long in fact that I Rushed it near the end & it still ain't done but I'm posting it anywho =P

'Torquin' Tiki'
    [​IMG]

12" x 12" Acryilc on Wood

Great Show Again!!
    Taker' kool H.A.M.B.'ers

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.