Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Zephyr that rocked Santa Maria in bare metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by resqd37Zep, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

Hi, pleased to meet you, my name is Ian Zephyr

ha ha I kid, I kid!

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep, and they did it again when it looked good, not just because it had or could be done. Ugly is ugly and all three cars discussed are ugly.

The Zephyr looks like it was improvised every inch of the way with no regard for the overall look. The squashed tudor looks like it was one of those traveling circus wagons from the 1800s that got stepped on. The fish looking thing is just sad.

There were butt ugly cars since there were cars. I think as a group most of us focus on reviving the cars/looks that worked.

Roth's cars were ugly in my opinion and he just did shit to do shit. I like Ed Roth as the character he created not for his ugly cars and bikes.

So what I'll gather from your comments is that we should look at these three tragedies and learn what not to do.

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

It,to me looks rather nice,but there was a better green zephyr there at santa maria.Anyone have pics of that one?

4. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

You are obviously not an artist and lack imagination. So sad for you.

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

That's funny. I have made a great living as an artist for over 20 years. It's actually the reason I have an eye for what works. Those cars completely lack proportion and flow. That doesn't mean people won't like them. The general public has terrible taste as a whole. That's what made Orange County Choppers so popular.

That said, I'd call the smashed tudor an art car. Shock for the sake of shock. I have accomplished that many times in my paintings and sculptures, but I am not offended when people are shocked. That is the point. The problem is taking an "art car" to a car show or posting it on a site in front of a group that has very specific tastes and being upset when they don't like what doesn't fit in their taste range.

It's like taking your dog to the cat show and being upset that people don't like your dog.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  6. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

Um, in case you didn't notice (and you obviously didn't) Ian DIDN'T post it up here, someone else did. I highly doubt Ian gives two shits what you old fogies on the HAMB think of him.

This kind of thing is exactly why I don't bother coming in here much. Same old tiresome thing all the time. Bunch of old farts (in mind if not always in age) who can't see out of their dull little boxes.

There is a distinct difference between someone who does the same ol', same ol' over and over again without ever pushing themselves and someone who tries new things and grows constantly by seeing what they could have done better in the last project and carrying that knowledge forward to the next, without sacrificing their imagination and creativity.

I'd lay money you're in the former group. Ian is the latter. He understands and can appreciate a well done traditionally built rod. He knows what a nice, regular ol' custom looks like. He just doesn't choose to do that kind of thing himself. I don't think he necessarily does anything for "shock" value...he just does it because it's what he wants to do. Because that's how he sees it. His brain isn't wired the same as everyone else...and that is what makes him interesting, what makes his work interesting.

I LOVE a good traditional rod or custom. I love a lovingly restored, spot-on, stock old ride. I love a car with subtle sophistication. But I also love imagination and innovation. I love seeing someone push things and try something new and different than what the rest of the crowd is doing. There are times I think the end result is ugly. There are times I think it's glorious.

If the world were filled with nothing but what YOU like, or what that guy over there likes, it would be a very, very boring world indeed.

Picasso is loathed to this day by some, and revered by others. He's not personally my taste for the most part...but I can still dig his vibe and what he was after. I still see how he was a revolutionist in art and that he and Braque changed the face of art forever after. I can appreciate his skills and his imagination. If you were truly an "artist", you should be able to see that as well. And I'm not just talking about Picasso.

In time, some people may think Ian's projects are amazing, some will think they suck. But he will be remembered, while you are gathering dust in your drab, monotonous little world of everything being the same because that's "tradition".

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

Well, that's the most uninformed statement that I have read on the HAMB this decade.

Rich

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

and if Ian lived in Long Beach I think he'd be getting laid tonight. :cool:

9. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Rocked2a.jpg

Better if he had pushed further...

10. Marcy

Marcy

I don't like your dog, or this Zephyr.

Marcy

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

And from everything you just wrote it's obvious that you don't understand what the HAMB is about and what goes on here... Just be happy with you 4 door shit box.

12. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

It takes a hell of a lot more to be a true artist than painting a 'pretty' picture.

13. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

oh, yup, there it is. I can't possibly know anything because I don't drive what you drive. I can't possibly know anything because I'm not in your old cronies club. Exactly why I find you all oh-so-dull. Nobody but you knows anything. hahahahaaaa!!! *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

14. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

Don't count on it.

15. Plowboy

Plowboy

Are you a lesbian too? Wow!

16. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Rocked2a.jpg

Back to the topic...

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

see you actually prove my point. You strike me as one of those "look a me I'm different just like everyone else" chicks. You don't get it. We aren't here to stretch the boundaries, there are plenty of sites for you to go see that. And a lot of people here really aren't into that. But people keep coming here and not understanding that and want to push their crap on us. It's like going to Neo-Abstraction site and wanting to push Rococo on them. It doesn't work. Get over it. We are here for Traditional Hot Rods and Customs and not grandma's 4 door.

18. the-rodster

the-rodster

Aaron, you crack me up.

Rich

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I didn't quite understand before... I thought it was an ugly car, but come to find out it is actually ugly art.

20. Keep digging you will hit the bottom eventually:rolleyes:

21. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

theres alot of hate in this thread haha :D

22. Well before this gets locked...does anyone have finished pics of the interior? I ask because that semi fadeaway fender seems to be obstructing the only way into the car. I can't say I'm a fan of it, but hey, I think Lincoln put out a pretty good design in the first place.

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So Ian, is this a car you built for yourself or for a customer?

24. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Wish I could stay away from this thread, but I keep coming back to see whats next. Roger

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

You are so hilariously clueless. You have no idea who I am or of my background in the art, design, fashion and automotive industry. I'd say a lot of people would back me up on my artistic ability and definitely on my ability to push the envelope. Read some articles on me or look for my work.

As for your clueless rantings, no the builder didn't post the pictures. What bearing does that have on me expressing my opinion? Something was posted on here and therefor becomes fodder for expressed opinions, including yours. No one is bashing you because you like the train wrecks, but people like you always want people with differing opinions to shut up. It's hilarious!

I post all kinds of my work on here from my builds to my art to my photographs to my writing and I would never expect everyone to like it. In fact my art, photographs and writing are on display to hundreds of thousands everyday and especially once a month when the magazine I edit, photograph and write for comes out. I know what people want and actually very much appreciate the few negative letters I get. They help me get another perspective on my own work and that of my departments.

I like far more things than the HAMB has to offer, but I go to the proper places to appreciate those other things. I don't bring them here and then start whining when the people here don't like it. I've pissed off a LOT of people through my art by not following the rules, but I'm smart enough to understand that what I'm doing is controversial. Some will like it some will not.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  26. If KIRK! cared about opinions, I'm sure no one would have seen the snuggly soft Christmas photos!:eek:;)

Merry XXX-mas KIRK!:D

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

I guess I should get all whiny over the people that didn't "Get" my Christmas photos, eh? :)

28. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I walked away from this one in the begining with "NO COMMENT" now I come back days later to find I missed the drama. As far as the topic vehicle, lots of beautiful fab work but ruined some good line that were already there. And I dont know anything about art either!

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Fuck your artist bullshit, bullshit, update your Fonzie blog already!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.