Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Zephyr that rocked Santa Maria in bare metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by resqd37Zep, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buck8

buck8
    from Austin

I love Zephyr's and the ASS ride is a perfect example however the lines on this from the roof to the trunk ruin it for me. Wouldn't kick it out of bed but might require a few beers to get there.

2. Joyrider13

Joyrider13

I don't see how a lot of you say it lacks flow. I guess I just see it as they went a different direction with the flow. Its odd but slick. Its got lines like a pompadour or a wave crashing into the beach. I'd like to know what sparked the vision in the first place.

3. John Denich

John Denich

WHAT your the worst one!!!! Hey shoot me your address again in a PM...I got something for you guys!

4. I know, and agree with what you're saying, for the most part. But, some of these comments are making me look like a freakin Saint. :eek::D

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

yeah right :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

6. V818

V818

Thanks for bringing back pics of the Badfish! that car needs to remain in the public eye :)
    [​IMG]

7. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

lmao this site cracks me up. i give him props for building the car. not my cup of tea, but at least its steel rather than a fiber glass boyd coddington car

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

Ha, did we talk too loud?? :)

Ian's obviously a talented builder, but.....

I just don't care for the "too much is just enough" style.

[​IMG]

9. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Each one of the Zephyrs shown is very different, each one has its fans and each one has its opponents, Out of respect I will say that each one is a true piece of art. Art is never loved by everyone, it takes a true individual to be an artist, sometimes you have to close out the noise or you cant make art. On each ride I see angles and perspectives, some are truly awesome. On any vehicle, not all of the views are completely flowing, this is accepted. To truly appreciate a vehicle you must walk about it, kneel beside it and lay next to it to truly see what each of those perspectives are, without doing this you can not really absorb the thing you are viewing as art. We need to view these cars as art. I personally am glad they all exist, as they do, it gives me ideas. Thanks artists.

10. big creep

big creep

i dont car what anyone says about this ride. it is sooo bad ass! ive seen it in person. and yea, its a show car, and wow i fell in love right away! low lean and mean. and real wood spinners. hahahahaha, rad!

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Woof!

12. For "shock & Awe", that thing's wicked!!

13. kustomkat

kustomkat

BINGO, we have a winner for Zephyr done right....

14. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Welcome to the Hamb Ian! Thats a hell of a way to be initiated! Keep doing what you do. Diversity is the spice of life.

James

15. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

I have to say I like this car and the Zephyr. It's a style and a new breed of custom. I'm sure there were people who hated the extreme customs back when. ie: Barris, Roth....

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Close, but no cigar BINGO! What we have there is safe, predictable and a theme well played out ,by history! Like a good lookin' older woman, fun to look at, but not a radical kustom. To compare a radical kustom to a traditional one is like takin' a piss in the wind and wonderin' why you got wet. No matter how much you would like an apple to be an orange, it's still an apple.

The Santa Maria/Galpin Zephyr is betrayed by its' "failed suspension" i.e. silly low rider layin' frame stance that kills what flow it does have goin'. If you look at the shop build photos of the vehicle in bare metal, the one of the profile, you see a different vehicle, one with a stance with a taildragger vibe, and not as if it had been airdropped onto the lawn.

It works for me on a lot of levels, and I don't like ''Contemporary Kustoms'' PERIOD! A tip of the fedora for the guy havin large enough rocks to not commision a cliche!

'' The icecream truck in his neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter "

17. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

... IMO....

roof doesn't have enough length.
    dont like the proportions of the chop front to back
    Sail panel should have a bit more metal in it... to thin
    dont like that the tulip panel is lower then the hood.

Dont mind the front fenders tapering into the door... but. I don't like this version.. to bulky.

... just my .02 cents of opinion
    oh and I don't respect the talent to build this... just not the execution

18. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Ok, here it comes. I'm not digging that Zephyr either, nor any of his other creations, BUT....
    I've met Ian a few years ago, and I totally respect the fact that he doesnt give a shit about what anybody says or thinks about his stuff.
    He's very artsy, and skilled, and he could build a bitchin' custom if he wanted to, but thats not where his mind is at, he's out there, yes, but that's what makes the world go round.
    For gods sake, he used to be the guy changing out lightning rods on top of skyscrapers in NYC, you gotta be nuts to do that.:D

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was thinking to myself when I saw the license plate "tag" on the rear, why is the Galpin name on the thing. Did he build the car for Beau?:confused:

20. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

It makes total sense, now............Zephyr means west wind; gentle breeze, and winds flow, but not always the way you wish, they flow THEIR way!

Ian, the builder, nuts? Nope! He just built what he saw, not somethin' from the pages of a magazine!

'' Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

21. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

I'd marry you for that comment.

and I'd rub myself naked on Ian's Zephyr...and the Space Junkie makes me want to lick it like a popsicle.

The Bad Fish is an ugly mofo, but he knows that. Sometimes you just have to do something to see what happens. Sometimes it's good shit, sometimes it's not. That's called art. Ian is an artist, first and foremost, he just happens to use metal, and sometimes cars, as his medium.

While his personal vision and taste may not always agree with a lot of people, you can't knock his skills.

If none of you had ever heard of Big Daddy Roth and he came out now with some of his now revered rides from back in the day, you'd all be saying how shitty they look and how ugly they are.

Nothing is "tradition" until a bunch of people do it over and over and over, ad nauseum. All those "traditional" customs weren't traditional until the first guy tried it and someone else liked it and did it again.

Ian just doesn't give a shit for tradition, he gives a shit for doing what he wants and bringing to life the imaginings in his head.

I respect him greatly for that, whether I always like what he creates or not.

22. Fenders

Fenders

"I like most of you can appreciate all the time and effort involved even if I don't like a particular car."
    Amen. ...
    I like the finished product but I wouldn't say there's any Zephyr left....

23. I don't mind the car, the roof just doesn't work for me and why did he change the roof to look like the most famous Zephyr that has had a 100 fiberglass clones made of it???? Why didn't he try something different????

24. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Denise,

With a reputed 400K build budget, I'm bettin' someone in the Galpin family opened their walet for the build!

" The icecream truck in his neighborhood plays Helter Skelter "

25. big creep

big creep

cause thats what the owner wanted.

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Now, this is what i was espectin to see comin from Ian Roussel!
    Dont care what anybody says, this is bitchin!
    How old is this build?

27. big creep

big creep

its his newest creation!

28. I think that is very ugly.

29. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

THAT is the Space Junkie. *drool* :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.