Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rat Bastad!

Just got back from the painter and watched him apply the epoxy primer. It's starting to look like something decent now. With the added fact that everything is clean now!

Attached Files:

2. farmer12

farmer12

Just a few more photos, for those who enjoy pics!

Attached Files:

3. art.flame

art.flame

any plans what to do about the rear section, or the rear window ?
    it looks odd ,not curved ,but could be the angle of the picture.
    still could save alot by dollying
    Art

4. farmer12

farmer12

The pictures tell the truth, the area above the rear window is actually indented, believe it or not. There was a lot of filler/bondo on there(up to 2 inches!), this has been removed. All of the spliced metal will be replaced by large pieces of sheet metal and previous curved areas will be re-created. A few pages back in this thread you can see some other pics of how the metal strips showed up after the bondo was removed. Don't worry, the curves are all coming back! (and minimal bondo)

5. farmer12

farmer12

Got my friend Jaap to come over today.(he's a much better welder than me) Welded the bar on top of the c notch to eventually support the air ride system. Also welded up 4 triangular pieces of steel to give the c notch extra support relative to the frame. We then moved to the front of the car, where the corners of the cross bar had to be cut in order for the wheels to turn fully in both directions. Then welded new pieces in place and cleaned up the excess welds. Time to put some primer on the new welds and clean up the garage.

Attached Files:

6. farmer12

farmer12

Just primered the welded steel. I know, not very exciting!

Attached Files:

7. 4406

from Oklahoma

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks!

Hope to have some more time today and get into my garage. Will go and install the front suspension/bags etc for the second time. This way I can get a better look at the clearances and ride height. Will then finally be able to weld the engine mounts/tranny mount, after I pick up my rear at the end of next week.(need to work out at which angle I want this relative to the driveshaft) By then I'll have the body and panels back for the final mock up! Once again, can't wait!:)

9. farmer12

farmer12

Got quite a bit done today. Assembled the driver side spindle and brake set up. Lowered the frame to drive height. Installed the rack and pinion. The only problem I have is that the steering joint won't clear the engine mount. Will have to move the engine up by about half an inch. No major surgery! I'll also have to install a few spacers on the steering rack to prevent the sleeve rubbing against the lower suspension arms. Apart from these two little and resolvable issues, everything is looking good.

Attached Files:

10. Nice work Farmer, someday i will check it out live.

Groeten Hennie

11. farmer12

farmer12

You're welcome to check it out anytime if you're in the area!:)

Eric

12. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FARMER...I posted before about how sweet your coupe is, but i'am doing it again just in case some of the hamebones missed it. brother it's one fantastic hotrod...POP.

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you sir for the compliment! I appreciate it. Glad a lot of folks out there like it.

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good!

15. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Great build!!!!

16. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

This will be one wicked car!!! I don't know how I haven't seen this thread before especially since its MoPaR, but I'm glad I did, subscribed!!! Way to go on the whole project from getting the hemi and doing it right. Can't wait to see more.:)

17. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

I ran across a 41 3 window coupe yesterday. How rare are they?

18. farmer12

farmer12

Went over to the guy doing the sandblasting today. All the panels and some loose parts were done and primed in the epoxy. He took a bit longer than expected but he said that they used a "lower"setting on the sandblaster so as not to warp the panels. He's going to start on the roof now, I should have some more pics soon.

Attached Files:

19. farmer12

farmer12

Finally, metal work! A whole new piece of steel has been rolled and welded into place above the rear window.(that's Martin you see welding and beating here). This was the worst area, where the original roof/window was layed down and spliced. Here some serious warping occurred when the previous owner welded them together. It was covered with nearly two inches of bondo. You can see this a page or two back, just after the body was primered how bad it was. Tomorrow we'll start on the section on either sides of the rear window. Hopefully will have some more pics after the weekend. Pretty happy with the progress today!:)

Attached Files:

The 39 guy likes this.
  20. that looks way better :)

21. farmer12

farmer12

I know. It just wouldn't feel right not to do the surgery. There was so much bondo in those places, there was only one solution. (why not tackle every problem instead of covering it) Do it once, do it right! A motto I'm starting to like more and more.

22. farmer12

farmer12

Hey thanks Rock! How is your Plymouth coming along? Progressing?

23. farmer12

farmer12

Perhaps "wicked" is a good name for the car. (also like "sinister" though) Thank you for the kind words! I'm enjoying it as well. More pics soon.:eek:

24. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Plymouth with a HEMI ? Now that's just silly! ;)

25. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

I got a '41 Plymouth I took apart then had several heart attacks & can't get it put back together with a '85 Dodge police optioned 318ci 4brl auto

26. farmer12

farmer12

I'm sorry, I probably wasn't thinking straight at the time! It's like putting a 350 in a Chevrolet.......:rolleyes:

27. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eric, I got the suspension and brakes done. Mounted up some Smoothies and WW Radials and took it for a short drive. It's a lot better than it was! :) I've got to put a new generator on it, work out some electrical issues and mount some bucket seats. Then, I'll get it tagged and putt around in it for a little while.

I need to get back to work on my Poncho. It's been neglected. :)

28. woo hoo, this is goner be awesome!
    thanks for sharing.

29. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

HOTROD BILL...brother their rare as CHICKEN DENTURES! HA!...POP.

30. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Pop, Do you really know anything about them?