Register now to get rid of these ads!

Muncie 4-Spd Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Jun 1, 2010.

1. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Y'all,

So the Saginaw 4-SPD in my truck completely took a shit today in the truck and I'm quickly readying my Muncie M-20 that was for my '32. Now I'm not rebuilding this unit as it was sold to me thru a trusted source and was in good working order.... But I did pull the side cover to have a look and just generally check things out. All seems fine but I did notice the speedo gear seems to be too far back to engage and turn the little gear running the cable drive. I had a similar situation with the saginaw in which the gear was too far forward. I worked my ass of to get that gear back into position only to have it fail shortly after hitting the road. So what the hell do I do here? Is this a common issue?

Also can someone confirm for me the proper orientation of the shift forks as they go back into the case?

Thanks,

Robert M.

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

3. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

if you are talking about the gear on the mainshaft??? Remove the tailhousing tap it in place and make sure the little retainer is in place.. No big deal

4. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Ah, Cool... So how does one take the rear housing off besides un doing the bolts? Do you need to remove the reverse shift mechanism as well?

I think taking the rear housing off of the Saginaw was my down fall.... I'm pretty sure I pulled something apart in the main shaft stack up which caused the whole thing to go south while driving it. :(

Thanks for the advise,

Robert M.

5. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

yes you will have to tap out the tapered pin holding the reverse lever- pull it towards you -when reinstalling , grease the reverse lever on inside to hold it in place, just make sure you only remove tail housing and the rear bearing support stays with main case, really is pretty simple

6. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Sweet! Thanks for this... After a quick transaction today with a friend I have a like new Saginaw 4-SPD.... However I'm going to play with the Muncie as a learning experience. If I screw it up well then I'll just have it rebuilt anyways but it will teach me in the process.

Best Regards,

Robert M.

7. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Make sure you install the original paper style gaskets when you put it back together. The trans will howl/wine excessivley due to lack of clearance if they are missing.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010