Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was it hard selling your first car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpazTaztic, Jun 1, 2010.

1. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

I mean the first car you ever owned- was it hard to see it go? I have had a few come and go but I have still yet to sell my "first" car that I ever owned. Well.. actually- friday is the day. She just stays parked and maybe gets driven once a month now. I was her every few weeks to keep her clean... several years and alot of $ to get her where she was. I dont need to sell but i feel its time so someone else can use her like I had intended. Just alot of sent. value in it... memories etc. This one actually saved my life at one point which makes it that much more.

SO- the big question: Was it hard to see your first ride go?

Now that I have her washed up it is becoming even more difficult to think about when I see her! I had no problem selling any of the other cars I had gotten in the middle.

Spaz

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'll let you know if I ever do.

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Nope!! Still have it...

4. Nope, my first one was a VW bug I needed the money to buy a 66 Mustang.

5. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Amen to that!

6. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Well since I am younger my "first" is an OT car. So newer style and value doesn't hold like my 54. Just not into that style anymore now that I am getting older. Just hard to get rid of the car that saves your life. Just cant stand to see her sit though. My dilemma.

7. gsport

gsport

my first car was a 59' ford... pulled the engine to put into a 60', two door station wagon and junked the rest. that was about 1969.... so, it was no big deal to get rid of my first car..

8. Brahm

Brahm

Still have it, but It was hard letting go of my '29 DeSoto

9. Couldn't tell ya...almost 30 years and still have it.

10. not at all, 72 mustang, left it on the 10 fwy after the smoky motor let go at 2 am coming home from ( good times ), hahahaha never went back..... paid 300 for it and drove it hard for a month...

11. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

After 20 years of buying and selling hot rods I finally have a car I will not sell. Other than that one they are all metal and can be replaced.

12. 6berry

6berry

my first car i bought for $100 when i was 15 (2 years ago) and sold it to scrap for $250 after i ripped the supercharger out. the next 5 cars that i went through i bought and sold before i registered them and nearly doubled my money on each

13. ratster

ratster

my first car was a 56 chevy and i gave to my lil brother when he was 16 and we built a gasser out of it. he turns 40 this week and still has the car

14. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Well I had a farm truck my grandfather left me... no attachment what so ever. My first car was the one I bought myself and drove for a number of years. Freshly incorrectly paved road caused me to loose control about 6 years ago. Tried to correct but lost count of how many times I spun. At one point airborne- bounced through a ditch, saw the ground through my driver side window... if it wasnt a steep ditch or if I had hit the brakes I would have rolled it. Lucky enough to have friends local to help me get her driving again.

15. long story short - when the general came thru the "motor pool" at the base...needless to say - I didn't get the notice...still tracked it down...but that's a longer story...never got it back....

16. never had a problem letting one go; always had bigger/better plans for the next one

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ya it was hard, no one wanted to buy it for more than 6 month's. But other than that no it was easy.

18. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

I Still have mine also

19. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

1st car..no.. 54 Chevy..burned out interior..rust to door handles..paid $25 for it..early neolithic era. It died..motor locked up near Wisconsin border..coming back to Illinois..
    It seemed to like being there..it stayed. Not really sold..abandoned
    1st real car..yes..57 Corvette..went from daily to drag car. I was offered a large sum that I wish now I never took..really still not happy looking at 57 Vettes..and it's been 41 years..

20. cwayne

cwayne

It wasn't hard at the time.... i was away in the army mom and dad sold it for me.. but over the past 40 years i've wanted it back a million times..

Attached Files:

21. studhud

studhud

Was it hard selling your first car?
    Yup it was! I bought it when I was 15 sold it about 8 years ago to a friend. It was a car I had alot of memories with even though I had not driven it since I was 15 basically tore it down and never finished. My friend finished the car awhile back and few weeks ago I got to drive it again after 22 years! Yup it was awsome! It was hard to sell it but it sponsored other projects if I had to do it again I would still sell it all over again!
    Dave Hitch

22. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

My first was a 52 chev pickup I paid $500 for. I was too young to drive so I tore the damn thing apart. Sure wish I had it back.

Attached Files:

23. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Nope but it was hard seeing what he did to after he bought it

Heres the after I cant seem to find any pix of when I had it. I had 40 steelies and firestones on it and some chrome head lights no crappy paint on the door or the moon tank

Attached Files:

24. 10bucks

10bucks

Nope, it was a POS anyway. I got two equipment fail tickets in a row. Then went looking for #2:D

25. A $50.00 49 Ford four door that had to be pushed to start and smelled like mold? Naah, I left in front of a wrecking yard with the title under the non working wiper blade.

26. rg1954

rg1954

My first car was a '50 Chevy 2dr sedan. Got it when I was 15 (I'm 31 now) and sold it about 4 yrs later to a friend after a long night of drinkin'..he made me an offer and I took it, he came to my house the next day and he drove it to the bank to get my money. I think my dad was more bothered than I was when I sold it....I never regreted it.

27. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

DONT SELL IT!

Your going to regret it later, I can tell, read all the story's,

Yeah, a 61 dart is a 61 dart. and a 67 bug is a 67 bug, But the first one should mean something to you.

You WORKED at that car, and bought it with YOUR hard earned money.

Im seeing so many ads for guys looking to buy back their first car, and they do, but it turns out, its just not the same.

Dont sell it, keep it, and turn down the offer before you regret it, and it will be too late.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

My first car was a 1926 T Tudor and it didn't bother me selling it. I needed the money to buy another 1930's race car. Selling my totally restored Riley 4Port was real emotional. Selling an ARCA race car TWICE was just plain STUPID and something I'll always regret.

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, even though most of your responders said "Nope", I'm gonna say, "Hell yes it was hard!" Here's my chance to bitch a little...you asked.

Summer of 1973...I was 16, and looking forward to getting my driver's licence. The neighbors kitty-corner across the street put a 1938 Chevy four-door sedan up for sale for $300. The car wasn't perfect...it had some rust down low in areas, a maroon Earl Scheib paint job, the engine burnt a little oil, etc. But it was all original, ran pretty good, and I liked it. I didn't have $300, but between my 14 year old brother Dan and I, we had $237. Asked Dad if we could buy it, he said yes, we offered the $237, and they accepted. Yahooo...I was gonna have a cool old car to drive to high school, and even had enough room to carry a few friends. This was gonna be great! Now, you have to understand that my parents were pretty strict. My dad was pretty understanding, but my mom...well I think she was afraid for us to do anything. Shoot...I wanted to play school football since in grade school...didn't let me do that...afraid I was gonna get hurt I guess...I don't know. Anyway, shortly after getting the car, she informed me that I wouldn't be getting my driver's licence until I was 18. Whaaaaa?! "16 is too young for kids to be driving." was her statement. Aaaaaarrrrggggh! (I could say worse...trying to restrain myself.) So...there sat the car while I continued to walk to school my whole junior year. All my brother and I could do was wash it, wax it, and look at it. My dad did take Dan and I out on a country road one day, and let us drive it...ONCE. After a while, my folks said they needed the garage-space, and we moved it to a friend's barn a couple of miles away. There it sat getting covered in pigeon poop and dust. The people ended up moving, and we brought it back to our place. It wasn't long, and my folks informed me we'd have to sell it, 'cause it was taking space in the garage. Put it up for sale for $300, and my brother and I split it based on the percentage that we each paid. I wasn't happy about the whole thing, and it wasn't too long after that my folks and I had a major falling-out. There was yelling, screaming, hitting...oh yeah, forgot...that was my whole young life. I moved out, and finished high school while living at a friend's parents house. Always felt I missed some good times that could've been with that car. Was it hard to sell?...very. Does it still bother me?...Naaaaah...d' ya think?

30. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

My first car was a '67 Fairlane with a factory 427, 4 speed.
    I bought it from behind a gas station for $250 because someone had stolen the heads and intake off it. Eventually tracked down some trick ford racing pieces, tunnel port heads and a side-winder intake. That car was dangerously fast in the hands of a teenager! Somehow I managed to not wreck it or kill myself.

One day, a collector from New York found out about it, and offered me "big money" for it... I jumped at it.

Used the proffits to buy a brand new Renault Alliance convertible P.O.S. [does anyone even remember them?] and still had a couple grand $$$ left over, so I was happy about the deal... Untill a few years later when I found out how rare a factory 427 Fairlane was, and what it was really worth :(