Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Digger...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage_Vixen, May 31, 2010.

1. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

Okay folks... I've finally gotten a few pictures of the rail (re) build my pops and I are working on. I also got some history on it out of him(that was a chore!). The car is an all original '65 front engine rail chassis. It was raced in California in the mid 60's to somewhere in the 70's. The original engine was an injected big block Chevy. I'm still working on getting some more history on it, because I know there's more I just need to find it. In the 80's and 90's it was ran locally at Sunset Drag Strip in Mercer, PA and was running mid-5's with a small block Chevy in it. She's getting a complete overhaul right now, I'm in the middle of prepping for paint and working up a period-original paint scheme, and my dad's building a new engine and trans. Can't wait to get this thing back on the track!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll keep posting pictures as I get them and progress is made... ie paint! :D

2. Very cool digger, should be a riot!

James

3. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Keep us informed....

4. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Cool!! I've always wanted to pilot a draggster down the strip at break neck speeds. I'll have to add it to my bucket list.

5. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

You and me both! Good thing I have my dad talked into letting me take over driving after a season of him running it.... :D:D:D

6. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

it looks built for you!! pops is a kinda tight fit in that cockpit! no offense intended to yer pa. :)

7. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

It is a tight fit, but he made it that way after he bought it(Lord only knows why... something about it made him feel more safe and secure??? I don't know, he's a crazy old gearhead. LOL) But he is actually going to have to make more leg room in there for me... my legs are WAAAYYY too long to even get in it right now. hahaha

8. Not to bust your bubble, but if the car was really built in the 60's be certain that you have the chassis sonic tested for wall thickness. These old chassis were built from mild steel or low grade chrome moly and WILL rust from the inside. I know many people who have begun to restore these older cars only to discover that had to replace the upper or lower frame rail and most of the struts.

Be SAFE and check it..............it isn't worth getting hurt over. If it checks out, LOL,,go for it babe and have fun.

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I know what you mean about long legs and FED's - I have a certain routine I must follow to get in and out of mine!!!

Good advice about getting it sonic checked. If you are getting the chassis recertified that will automatically be part of the inspection, but at a glance (I'm no expert) you'll need to upgrade the helmet bar. SO if that's your plan getting ahold of hte chassis inspector sooner rather than later will be a good idea. Pete Woodruff is a NHRA Division 3 inspector - you might wanna give him a call and talk things over with him. Even if you don't plan on certification - the sonic check is a simple CHEAP insurance plan!!!!!

Fire the next pair!!!!

10. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

He's done all this extensively and had other builders/racers check it out too to make sure it's good. It's been garage kept and babied as long as he's had it(longer than I've been alive-I'm 25 now!). Believe me... his number one concern is safety, especially because we're re-doing it with the intentions of it being mine in a year or two. And thank you... you won't bust my bubble-she's thick! :)

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Now you pay heed to what Beep says. Be safe. Then go have some fun. But remember, that car is no safer than YOU make it. But they are fun! Lippy

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  12. Vintage_Vixen

Vintage_Vixen

Of course I will... safety first. =) And that picture? Amazing. Just for the record. hehehe

13. hotrod316

hotrod316
    from ohio

Vintage Vixen,
    great looking ride! looks like you may need more than hement bars to cert or pass teck at some tracks, send me a pm with a number see if I can help you or find a local builder and ask if you can look at his sfi book. just remenber to have lots of FUN.
    STEVE