Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old car`s and allergies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarkKoch, May 31, 2010.

1. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

So it took a while but I realized every time I worked on my new project I was feeling like I had a cold for 3-4 day`s afterwords.Runny nose,congestion,head cold kind of thing.Theres was load`s of dust and a musty smell they was in my car.A friend of mine mentioned a product called auto vaccine.So I gave it a try...and it worked!It also can take the musty smell from a/c ducts in cars.I put it in the car and then the trunk for a total of 48 hours.My car smells better and I feel better,hope this helps anyone else with allergies from dust and mold. Many old car`s are stored for so long with Little to no ventilation,it can be a bad thing for some of us.Do your researching and make sure you get the correct product.I originally posted the wrong product-seems that there are a few named the same but do very different things.I went through my trash and pulled out the original packaging(before I just goggle and found a picture,but it was the wrong product[​IMG] THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IS STATED ON PACKAGE-NOT COVER UP OR MASK-ELIMINATES ALL ODORS,SMOKE,MILDEW,PET ODORS,BACTERIA www.odorscience.net[​IMG]THIS IS WHAT I ORIGINALLY POSTED-THIS ONLY CONTROLS ODER'S/NOT KILLING WHAT CAUSES THEM- AS BOBj49f2 has clearly pointed out wich prompted me to post the correct product(didnt feel like digging through my trash to find the actual packaging from what I used.I used google image and thaught these were the same THEY ARE NOT.)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. Probably a good idea to wear a respirator when you're cleaning out an old car that has sat for a long time. Mold is nothing to fool around with, it can make you very sick.

3. Great tip, thanks for posting it. Where do you get that stuff? You are right on the money about molds and dust being bad for us. A friend of mine does Estate inventories and that often involves going into houses that have been closed up for months. They have a rule of thumb that if a house has been closed up for over a month they were repirators. Of course he does this all of the time so he has to take extra precautions. Still, I think that it is a good safety tip for all of us who love old cars and tend to get into one that has been sitting a long time without thinking about it maybe being dangerous. (Other than wondering if there are any snakes or spiders in it here in Texas.)

4. ooops

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010

5. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I was intrigued because of the ADAMM logo on the cup, I thought that was logo for the local auto dealer association and was right. I went to their web site and found this description of their product. Seems it only masks the smell, really doesn't do anything to eliminate any dangerous pollutants:

https://www.adamm.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=166

It actually seems to be a cheap temporary quick fix for car dealers to use so they can sell a car that might might have some serious problems. It costs $20

7. ooops

8. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I reposted the correct product,actually dug through my trash can to repost the correct one,and off course the car was cleaned,vacuumed,insulation,and old headliner was removed prior to doing this...the end result is it did work,People will need to make sure they get the correct one as my self made the mistake of assuming all were equally made.The picture posted now is the CORRECT one

9. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

If using the correct Auto Vaccine its not a cover up or mask(JUST USE THE Correct ONE.I WANT TO EMPHASIZE THERE ARE DIFFERENT PRODUCTS WITH THE SAME NAME,I MY SELF MADE THE MISTAKE OF ASSUMING THERE WERE ALL EQUALLY MADE<THERE NOT,THIS CAN BE VERY HELPFUL IF USED PROPERLY -STILL USE OTHER PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES AS WELL,Once I used this I am no longer feeling ill when in and or around my car(car was cleaned/vacuumed and hazardes material removed)

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  10. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

www.odorscience.net I got mine off ebay-read the description to be sure you get the one that isnt a coverup or mask -but eliminates,mold,mildew,bacteria

11. Whats wrong with you guys? One of the best parts of an old car is that old car smell!

12. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

LOL I with ya man!,It still smells old.When I first opened the doors after doing this I noticed the odor from the auto vaccine but that went away with in a hour,it still smells old but isn't making me feel ill anymore.Thats all I wanted

13. ooops

14. PackRatWrecker

PackRatWrecker
    from Kansas

I'm on the wagon, here. Mold, Hanta, Hiv(just kidding), and dozens of other nasty things are common to vehicles that have seen stationary a long time. Rodents, bugs, vermin & moisture can create quite the hazardous mixture.

If you plan to live long enough to see your new car become your old car, throw everyting at it, including a kitchen sink full of Clorox.

15. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Try using Madacide you can get them in wipes or spray bottle.Its a Medical disinfectant,you will have to order it off the net,kills everything with out the fumes of bleach.Its also use regularly in the tattoo world.

16. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

This does not "mask the smell".It kill`s mold/bacteria ect.Even after you remove old material from the car mold spores and bacteria are still present-this will eliminate what`s left.If the car has asbestos this will do nothing for that,at all.It doesn't mean just use this-use all precautions.I'm saying it can help.And it did in my cituation

17. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Learned something again! Thanks for posting. Although the old car smell works on me like some Afrodeeziac or Ferrymone, I'll seriously consider what's been posted, especially since my 3-year grandson has asthma and loves to ride in my old-car-smellin coupe.:p

18. ooops

19. lorodz

lorodz

when i get a old car 1st thing i do if there is interior is
    tare it apart vacume the steel floor get all the rust dust out of the car get all the old material that has broken down out of the car re upolster everything replace carpet and clean the headliner if i can if not replace it than before i put the carpet back in i clean everything with fabric cleaners and lysol and a small amount of bleech,than put down a small amount of arm and hammer soda than carpet liner than fresh carpet and everything else smells fresh and clean still got the old car smell but nothing to musty..

20. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

I seem to remember someone posting about a year ago of a barn find that after pulling it out of all the junk it was buried in, he became deathly ill. Seemed to be along the same lines; dust, mold and mouse shit (pretty common in most barns packed to the top with junk). I beleive he was planning on having a mask with him for any future finds he has to dig out.

21. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Ok from all the info gathered here this could be one safe way to handle this.1-Where proper respirator and gloves -put on clothes you can throw away after-no need to bring this problem into your house.2-remove all broken down material,carpet,headliner,insulation.Seats if necessary,upholstery.3-Use bleach,Madacide,or baking soda and wype the vehicle down.You want to wype the mold away,switching rags often,discard after use.4-use the auto vaccine to kill the spores left behind that are on serfices and in the air inside vehicle(be sure to purchase correct product that is made to kill mold bacteria,mildew).5-hose your self off after your done.Not all cars will even have mold but this will help with bacteria and mouse shit/piss as mentioned by thee above post any more info definitely post so we can have lot of info on this.thanks for all the input guys

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  22. foodman

foodman
    from cleveland

wrong! please if your not a chemist or epa regulatory expert you know nothing about this product. Chlorine Dioxide is 128 year old compound know to destroy pathogens and odors are caused by pathogens. It is not a cover up or mask. Our EPA does not allow this company to make any "destroy" or "kill" claim. It does not allow any company to make those claims legally! Companies like OdorSCIENCE must play word games just like Fabreeze and Lysol (by the way they actually do nothing of value) by only legally writing "controls and inhibits odor causing bacteria etc.... Next time you see a major consumer company on TV advertising their products they use the same language. Chlorine Dioxide is actually a pharmaceutical! It does kill and only leave salt and water vapor. Do your research before playing junior chemist Bob

23. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Foodman, before firing off your dumb ass comments read the posts, originally MarkKoch, who started this thread, posted this product and later changed it after I posted my reply:

[​IMG]

I went to the ADDAM web site and their description of their product only said it for "controlling odors". Read my original post. It didn't state anything about doing anything more. I was not playing "junior chemist", only stating an opinion on the original product posted.

BTW, for FNG with 1 post you've got a lot of balls. Read the board rules and post a intro before going on the attach. If you're so brilliant I'd think you'd do your research before posting and would have been able to figure out the sequence of events. Also, EPA should be in capital letters.

24. yep the first thing i do when i buy a car thats been sitting is gut the interrior i also do a through heavy cleaning on a car that has been a daily driver (cause ya never know what what creepy crawleys might be on some people or in thier car)

i dont have allergies thank GOD but this product if it does what it says it does is a very good idea for everyone of us

how much does this stuff cost ?

25. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010