Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Fiberglass 32 Ford? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, May 28, 2010.

?
  1. Never, no way under any circumstances

108 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Only if you can't afford a real one

128 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Hell yes!

215 vote(s)
    47.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IbmokNegawsklov

IbmokNegawsklov

It amazes me the number of people here that would consider a glass car or a non original bodied car to be a fake. That puts alot of the great salt lake racers out (belly tankers, streamliners etc) and also puts lots of the good work done by Ed Roth in an interesting predicament. Im damn sure that if our grandad's could have replaced their rusted out hulk with a glass shell they would have given it serious thought.

It's your car do what you want, none of the great names in rodding history got there buy being a copy cat. If your pissing some one off then thats a good thing.

Happy driving, Mike

2. dragster dude

dragster dude

build it then trade your way to a steel one

3. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

When I am at the LA Roadsters Father Day Show I don't look at the cars and tap on them to see if their real nor do you! You will also not hear me say to bad its not real..... Because if it drove there it is real!!!!!

4. I could never afford a real 32 either , a wise man once said "fuck with the dick you got!"

5. Pez

Pez

Don't matter to me, I've had steel and glass in the past. I now have a glass roadster, with some steel panels. not built by me, but very well done though.
    Just drive it and enjoy it.
    Steel vs glass is a way to old argument, I gave up listening to it around 1985 and have done my own thing since.

6. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Well, I'm glad that we finally got this issue resolved once and for all. Maybe we should discuss tractor grill shells, radial tires and SBC's now.:rolleyes:

7. jhogan

jhogan
    from Aptos CA

Mine is plastic and I built it by myself, love it and don't care if others do. Whatever you do is's gonna be cool.

8. I have three steel tudors and one glass 3W body (on an original chassis)
    If i had the money i would bought a steel one, but since i live in Europe
    it's impossible to find one.
    The difference in money between a glass and a steel body is about the same
    money as i had to spend on all my tudors (yes three).

And, if it ain't steel, it ain't real.......?? why do you want alloy heads and intakes, is
    steel not good enough.

9. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

really? wow.... so you telling me that if one would fab a frame, put together a drive line,bend brake lines,set up supension,pedals, etc.....all the shit it takes to do a hot rod then put a glass whatever it maybe be body on that frame thats a kit car? like a BIG driveable AMT model..... hmmm i have been wrong all this time.....

10. Ed Pickering

Ed Pickering

As long as your riding something cool you like then who cares !!! :)

11. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I am pretty adament about not driving glass cars or (kit) cars. However, I have seen some nicely done traditionaly styled glass rods. So, it has caused me to sway my opinions toward the acceptance of some glass cars, just a little. That said, I still prefer real steal to glass any day and twice on Sunday. This is why I have an A coupe. Sure, I would prefer a '32 coupe, but, at least mine has seen the war, so to speak.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  12. Tim G

Tim G

Yeah i agree.... a real dick is a real dick but a plastic dick will always be a replica ;)

13. likesoldstuff

likesoldstuff

We all want a "real steel" car, but some of us are cheap (yours truly). When I got the urge for a '32-34 Ford project last year, the steel stuff was 10x prices out of my range and I really didn't want a Model A (which I could afford). So, I began with a dirt-cheap '32 Anderson roadster body and built a pretty good car for well under $10K Hemi and all. I have a 'glass car and have no trouble sleeping at night...

Attached Files:

14. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Nope, not traditional unless i missed the memo.I hate fiberglass because i work with it.
    It will never be a Ford. My .02

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yep !,... You missed the memo,....

Top of the page,... only about 1/3 of the people to look at this thread feel like you do,.... For everyone that works Hot Rods,.... I guess we should hate them as well,......

16. skull

skull

D0 what makes you happy. you will be the one who has to drive the car.

A 1932 plymouth sedan is my hot rod and l am running it fenderless with a I F S, lots of folks don't like how it looks or tell me it's not tradition enough. but, it is my choice and l know some shows won't let me in, so l live with the fact l can'tmake every-one happy.

Rember the song ''Garden Party'' by Ricky Nelson;

'' Ya can't please every-one, so ya have to please your'e self''.

Later:cool:

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Just because a few folks ( who may or may not really own a HOT ROD ) express their opinion ... does not make it FACT.

I do own a pair of Henry Ford Deuces ... and if the guy wants a fiberglass car ... it does not bother me in the least.

That just leaves MORE REAL STEEL 32 Fords for the rest of US ... :D :) :D

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

You might be correct, if the poll was of the general public, or gold chain street rodders. This poll was on a TRADITIONAL board. I think it says a lot.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion- this will never be settled. It's kinda like the chicken and the egg...;)

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Well, this is a traditional board ... with a LOT of non traditional members/rides ... :D

Whose defination of what is and who are TRADITIONAL ... varies a LOT.

My 2 Henry Ford all steel ( on Henry Ford Deuce frames ) Deuces are not traditional ( 4 bar susspension and SBC for power ) in a LOT of minds. I myself do not consider 4 doors, Falcons, Corvairs, Valiants, Chevy II's and 6 cylinder vehicles traditional hot rods ( just me :) ). I see a LOT of what I consider non-traditional rides here on the HAMB ... to me ... they are just later vehicles ( but ... MAYBE ... real cool vehicles ;) ).

I agree ... the steel vs fiberglass ( now repro steel ) agruement will NEVER be settled to everyone's satisfaction ....

Just build what you LIKE and do not worry about what anyone else thinks ... as long as it is SAFE.

20. [​IMG]

I wonder if they'll start re-popping Prowlers 80 years from now... those should be some interesting debates here on the HAMB. :D

I'd drive a well done glass '32 replica... I wouldn't pay for one... but I'd drive it. Look around... there's a couple of good build threads using glass duece replica bodies that look dam'n cool.

3W Larry's comment made me roflmao. :)

21. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

At 70 MPH can you tell the differance between glass and steel?

Tim

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

Exactly my point!

This poll was taken on a "Traditional Hot Rod" sight (the best traditional Hot Rod sight on the Web, IMHO :)) And just like the guy's that hate Deuces in general,... and "Don't understand the 32 Ford hype" like a thread a little while back. you have the guys that hate Glass bodied Hot Rods,.... but just like the Deuce haters,.... they are in the minority.

Some even go so far as to use the childish jab about "Kit Car",.... Guy's, get over it,......(it takes just as much work to build a glass or steel car ) You can't dictate whats in someone else's garage,... I have seen Fiberglass Traditional Hot Rods that would put a lot of steel Traditional Hot Rods to shame ! (maybe that's the problem,... maybe some of you guy's might be jealous) ,..... Hot Rods in general are modified antique cars that have little in common with there original heritage,.....

I have both Steel and Fiberglass, and ya' know something,..... I don't care what there made of, If the end result is what I was aiming for. The "soul" of that original Henry tin escapes the minute you start to make something out of it, other than it left the factory as,........

As long as there is a car hobby, and as long as there are two people in that hobby,... there will always be disagreements. If you like, build and drive a Glass bodied car,... cool enjoy it and forget what the snobs say,.... If you Like, can afford, build and drive a steel car,.... cool,... more power to ya'. But don't stand there, pound your chest and insult somebody else's hard work and effort because there "Fake or copy of a Traditional Hot Rod" is made out of something different than your "Fake or copy of a Traditional Hot Rod"

Maybe the only cars that should be able to hold the title of "Traditional Hot Rod" are the actual cars that were indeed Hot Rods in the 40's & 50's,... all others are FAKE !

23. F&J

F&J

Nope :) funny you ask.... last week in this little town I saw what I thought was a Prowler coming from the other direction.. It was a 32 REAL LOW fenderless roadster with the lowest roof ever.

Very cool but in the late streetrod style, it was what I later found out to be a real Boyd-built car.

drive what makes you happy.

24. 55chevr

55chevr

Steel is real ... but I have no problem with plastic cars ... some times it is the only way to get into a hot rod like a 32 or 34 Ford ... and the can't get your money back out of a fiberglas duece is not a valid argument ... you cant get your money and value of your labor out of any hot rod ... anyone that thinks that they can build a hot rod for profit is dilusional ...

25. Chuck R

Chuck R

I have 2 henry steel and one Wescott. Guess what, I love driving each one of them. To be honest the Wescott might be the most fun of the three, probably because it's a roadster. All three make me smile when I drive them, the Wescott has a pretty good look, 392 hemi, 1937 lasalle trans, early halibrand quickie, 32 wishbones, model A crossmembers and original 1940 brakes. sounds more traditional than many hot rods I see, doesn't it.

I can tell you something else I have found, the whole deal is about the friends you make, not what your body is made of, It's what you are made of.

Oh well, this thing is for having fun, so do just that.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  26. Fiberglass makes me itch................................

27. James427

James427
    BANNED

That's not always true. I just doubled my money on a glass car. And I came close to doubling my money on a Shay replica recently.These were not builds but cars just bought to get a few parts I wanted , drive for a bit and flip. It helps keep me in steel and cool bits and pieces.

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

waiter...check please

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. come on now...that's like saying you looking to buy a piece of land on the river in East Texas and someone chimes saying how can you buy that when you can buy ocean front property in SoCal...it's obviously a better investment over the years....but...Anywho, yeah, steel is cooler, but if you really want a 32 and know you cannot afford one, get a nice glass car.
    Hans

30. Absolutely NOT true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.