Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. The Little Rascal show with Pete the Pelican and Captain Bill !!! >>>>.

2. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

STP stickers.
    (that's all I need)

3. Searcher

Searcher

Didn't they have a "Jack" coming out of the box on the roof ??

4. Sorry if any of this has already been posted, but every time I read thru a page there is another page or two added.

Used to be a product called "Spud-Nuts", do-nuts somehow made from potatoes, and people would come around selling them.

Going to this diner and on the door was a decal of a penguin smoking a cigarette saying "It's KOOL inside."

The Walker Continental glass packs and chrome scavenger pipes running under the rear axle on my 312 powered '54 Customline tudor w/ fomoco spots and 4.11/overdrive. (my first car scored from my older brother's pal when he got where he could afford to switch to a Chevy!)

The Five & Dime store had everything in the world, was all wood and never been varnished, the floors and walls and displays, still remember the smells, also the night it burned down!

And in high school one of the chics I ran around with always had her mom's year old '66 goat and it had a powerglide, or at least it was definitely a two-speed.

5. Hey! You have created a monster thread! Having so much fun with it my wife even got to remembering old shit,,,,and she's 77! Great fun! Thanks all! Crow.

6. Doug B

Doug B

Mission Orange soda
    Sweet tarts the size of a hockey puck
    pixie sticks
    Riding a mile and a half with a gallon gas can on the handle bars of my stingray to buy a 35 cent gallon of gas for the mini bike.
    If you was with your Dad,and he met up with a friend of his,you didn't speak to that guy.
    My first phone # 38r2 (party line)
    Wiffle ball
    Before 2 liters,Coke had a 48 oz. glass bottle.They were too big to fit in the store soda coolers.We would each buy one and drink it warm.
    Kool aid
    Captain Kangaroo before the school bus came.
    The old man putting a clutch in the pick up on his back in the gravel driveway.
    Guys running for local political office would come around campaigning and give candy bars to the kids.

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have a dent in my thigh from when I walked in front of a lawn dart as it sailed through the air at a church picnic in Tulsa, OK July 2, 1969. That sucker went into the muscle and stayed until I pulled it out. Trip to emergency room, had it cauterized, and back to the picnic. I was almost 13.

8. Muttley

Muttley

Every restaurant had a cigarette machine. I always thought they were really cool looking machines, its a wonder I didnt start smoking when I got older.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Mazooma posts of the Disneyland ticket and Lawndarts brings this to mind. The shooting galleries in Frontierland at Disneyland, real bb guns!:cool:, not those lame lazer things that we have today:mad:. Life has gone to hell in a hand bag.

10. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

11. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

you had to call an adult "Mr." or "Mrs."

you got your "Greetings from the President" letter at age 18.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  13. And just up the road was Fedco, where government employees could shop. Those of you not familiar could kind of relate it to Costco today. One of my uncles had a Fedco card and we used to go there from time to time to get stuff cheaper than even White Front (Take that, Dee Parker!) :eek:

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

16. Jim '57

Jim '57

Hey wait a minute, a gallon of gas is still the same as a gallon of gas. Unless you're talking about the bite size, which we never had back then.
    Jim

17. zombie

zombie

mom driving my brother and i to school in dads drag baja. no back seat, just some nice aluminum work.

slot cars with pop...
    [​IMG]

riding in lawn chairs in pops 35 chevy...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

zombie

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

racing home from high school with a burrito and grabbing a Pepsi with the swirled glass bottle, flipping on the big ol' Zenith and catching the daily re-runs of "Highway Patrol"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcep0eJR-8

[​IMG]

OH, MAN!!!!!!!!!!! now that's entertainment!!!!!!!!

19. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Walker Continentals! AKA Blue Swingers. :cool: Those were my favorite glass packs, when they got burned out a little they had a nice deep mellow sound, never cackled. Too bad you can't get them any more. :(

20. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Bulders emporium = cheap chicken... remember him????
    How about Hardy's shoes... Wallaby & chucka boots HQ

21. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

I remember when Michael Jackson was black, and Linda Ronstadt was good-lookin! Now that's WAAAAAAY Back!

22. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

....I remember those, on some there was a long row of light up buttons, each one looked like a miniature 3D pack of cigarettes..in a dark restaurant or bar it looked really cool...made you want to press the button even though you didn't smoke...those marketing guys were geniuses.

..how bout the original Chicken Delights

those GIANT pixie sticks that were about 2 ft long filled with some kind of colored sour powder...I remember kids trying to down the whole thing and almost choking to death.

penny punks for keeping away mosquitos (never worked) or lighting firecrackers (worked!)

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

ahhhh, the 70's...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. zzford

zzford

Rumors that the girls in the next town were "easy". How about when someone was gay, it meant they were happy?

25. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Speakin of the 70's anybody remember the Swing Auditorium in Berdoo a partial list of who played there.............

The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Elton John, The Jackson 5, Deep Purple,<SUP id=cite_ref-SBSun_1-4 class=reference>[2]</SUP> Elvis Presley, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Fleetwood Mac, Eddie Money, The Tubes, Boston, Foreigner, Black Sabbath, Cheap Trick, Rush, Pink Floyd, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Blue Öyster Cult, Deep Purple, The Cars, Journey, Kansas, Lee Michaels, Steppenwolf, Styx, Warren Zevon & ZZ Top played there in the 1970's

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Chicken Delight...yup, that what mom would have delivered for my sister and me when she and my dad were going "out on the town".
    They used to give use kids these coin banks...here's mine...

[​IMG]

27. Doug B

Doug B

Thats why I started smoking when I was 9! 50 cents and you were good to go.Nobody payed any attention to a kid buying smokes...they thought it was for your old man.

28. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

awesome..."Don't Cook Tonight"!

.....everybody else has memories, Mazooma is still there!!

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

30. Mazooma1

Mazooma1