Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new 53 chevy 4dr daily driver!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, May 28, 2010.

1. The_Monster

The_Monster

I just picked it up yesterday. Its just what I was looking for, been looking for over a year for the right car! 1953 four door, runner/driver, with the original 235 and a powerglide option.

The motor is original to the car and was rebuilt 2 years ago. Runs STRONG! Shifts great and stops surprisingly great! The paint is original, the paint on the roof is perfect!

The interior is pretty close to immaculate! The dash is glossy, everything works!! Gauges, lights, glove box light, dome light, horn, and radio works awesome!

The only bad things to say about the car is that there is a tad of rust in the trunk, about the size of a dollar, and rust on the back section of the wheel wells. Nothing too severe, easily repairable.

Then the icing on the cake, it came with big boxes of parts. I love looking through mystery boxes, its like christmas. Well, there was the typlical light bulbs and oil filters, but the real gems were two, 2bbl intakes!! One was a Fenton and the other was Sharp. Never heard of that one, Ill have to look into it. And then there is a split manifold for duals. This was split the old way, with an old cast iron intake! too cool!!! Also, it came with skirts!!

My plans: Make it as dependable and reliable as my 79 p/u. Once thats done... bluedots, functional lakepipes, 3" lowered, wide white biasplys, spider caps and pinstriping. After that, I sell my truck and then itll be car shows, drive-ins and be drivin every day to work.

Well, la la la, I can go on for ever... can you tell Im excited? My first pre '60 that actually runs and drives! Not another project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. kraka138

kraka138

looks great for a driver man

3. spinalremains

spinalremains

Sweet... looks like you need to change your signature now

4. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Right on...I also have a 4 door. Its a 50 fleetline though. Most people look the other way when they see a 4 door. I say screw them. You being happy with what you got is all that matters. Good luck...

5. TattooedBones

TattooedBones

6. HCAT54

HCAT54
    from Pomona, CA

Looks good man. I might be pick'n up a 64 impala 4-door hard top driver.
    4-doors rule!

7. very nice! can't wait to see it when you get everything you want done to it.

8. Harris

Harris

9. DougHH

DougHH

i'll buy one of those 2bbl intakes off ya if you're interested and postage to australia doesnt make it redundant.

10. DougHH

DougHH

i got a 36 4-door chev and a 59 4 door chev. the 36 was a good price for the condition and is a flat back so would still make killer rod fodder and 59 belair 4 doors are the shizznit. 2 door 59's just dont look right to me, they look smaller, dunno that they are but they look it and it doesnt look right on the side profile.
    screw the haters. nothing wrong with having 4 and not all of us can afford to pay a million bux for the same rod everyone at the shows have....

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

sweet. was that car sitting in NE Portland for a long time with camaro wheels on it by chance?

12. God bless the four doors in great shape!

13. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

Nice bro! good cruisin car.

14. mundog64

mundog64
    from 90717

nice looking car. that is my ideal family hauler, daily duty cruising car.
    congrats on your purchase.
    ray

15. The_Monster

The_Monster

Alright! I changed the signature back to regular! Thanks for the cool words from all. I just drove around the gf and my folks in the back. Rides killer!! Even with no exhaust!

So Im taking out the carpet to see the whole picture and to let it "breathe" for a while. I have a set of bias WWW that Ill be mounting up this week. I have the spider caps in the mail.

As far as the intakes, Ill get back to ya if I decide to sell one :)

More pics coming soon!

16. Those sharp intakes are sweeet, not as common. They also made a matching valve cover. Also made a dress side cover, but im pretty sure it only fits a 216.

Sell the fenton and use the coin to get a couple of matching 216 carbs to put on the sharp.

As for your exhaust, once you get that split manifold on....
    Just run 1 1/2 straight pipes out the back.
    Its what a straight 6 is supposed to sound like.

Heres some links that might help....
    Manual.... Get a real, actual book type one off ebay!
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1949_53/index.htm

Repop parts.....
    http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/

Advice....
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/index.php?

Have fun!

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  17. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

very cool find. Congrats.

18. Nice 4 slammer.

19. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Nice score. Congrats

20. 3onthetree

3onthetree

Ya done good. Looks real nice.

21. april may

april may

22. SlickRick83

SlickRick83
    from merced

I had my exhaust manifold split then ran dual staright pipes out the back. I went with 2" pipe. I think that gives the best sound.

23. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

Nice!!! really good one! I think I saw that on craigslist?

24. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Cool. My first car back in high school was a black primed '53 210 4 door. I've had a soft spot for more doors every since.

25. The_Monster

The_Monster

shooter, no, this one didnt have camero rims on it, I know which one youre talking about. The one looked like they just rolled those wheels in front the cars wheels to look like they were on it if Im thinking of the same one.
    52 chevy, yea, this one was way up in Lynden, Wa. Like a few blocks from the Canadian border! Quite a little trip. 16 hour tour.

Agent009, Thanks for the tip on the Sharp goodies. I noticed the throat on the Fenton was a larger diameter than the Sharp for the carbs. Didnt know the Sharp used 216 carbs. I already have the real shop manual and the chevs of the 40's catalog. Ill check out the advice link you posted, thanks!

I want the split 6 "rap" sound. Will running straight pipe all the way out the back get that effect? What about running Smithys or some kind of glass pack? Will that rap or just sound mellow?

Thanks

26. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

Great find. I hope to get a 4dr 54 chev or olds in the not so distant future. It will be fun to see your car progress.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  27. A 235 with 2 carbs runs better with a pair off a 216 rather then those from 235. The bases are a different size between the 2 carbs. Im pretty sure that sharp is for the 216s. 216 and 235 exhaust manifolds will not bolt together. So if you go with the 216 intake, you will need to have a matching manifold, or run a set of fenton headers. When running a 216 intake on a 235 you need to get a set of adapter rings. Im really not sure if you can bolt a 216 exhaust manifold on a 235, i would think so, but im not sure.

I ran straight pipes for about 8 months....
    Put on a pair of smithys, ran em for 10 months, and i hated it the entire time. They sucked a55. Never burned out, never got louder.....
    They sounded like the purr of a calico cat.

Ive had em off for a few weeeks now, and I LOVE IT!!!!

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cool, one of my best friends in highschool had a four door that was green that we put a lot of miles on cruising back in the early 60's.

29. The_Monster

The_Monster

so Im looking at these split manifolds and Im looking at my motor mount. The front one will dump right on top of the mount, no hope for mating on an exhaust to it. Are these 216 split manifolds or for a truck? Ill post some pics soon as my batteries recharge.

Also, everyone talks about fenton. Ive seen some tube style headers and other no name style cast split manifolds. Has anyone ran something OTHER than fenton exhaust?

30. Super04duty

Super04duty

can I ask how much you paid? Im looking for something similar casually for a daily driver, and have no idea what price range Im looking for.