Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fenderless with radial tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoop, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Weird. What help is seeing a string of pictures of fenderless cars with radials really? Just man up and own it – run whatever tires you want.

These radial/bias threads are in pretty close alignment with discussing politics. Everyone has to yell their preference and reasons at the top of their lungs and in the end... the people running bias are going to keep running them, the people running radials are going to keep running them, and the fence sitters are going to keep waffling... looking for reassurance one way or another all the while hoping someone else makes the decision for them.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Track Roadster with radials.

Attached Files:

3. Tommy R

Tommy R

I think it's reasonable to ask for pics, especially if the posters also list what size/brand tires they're running. It can help others see radial combos that can pull off the "bias-ply look"....as well as ones which can't! I'm one of the people who is on the fence about tire construction for my car. I'd prefer to run a radial, but only if it can pull off the right look. If not, I'm comfortable running bias. So this thread is very helpful for someone like me.

Tommy

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

More like preferring drums over disc. :rolleyes: Both are fine for the job, discs and radials seem to handle higher performance better. But the others are fine if driven within their limits. And there is no denying that short of some of the Coker's radials are just plain ugly on an open wheeled traditional car.

6. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Yes Coker radials require a tube. I'm told they are a truck tire. I know they are really heavy and 6 ply or something like that. I like the way they look and perform on my coupe and will continue to use them.

7. Master of None

Master of None

Running radial's on the 34, roads around here are not in the best of shape so its easier to replace when you slice one up.

Attached Files:

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Nankang (cheap chinese) radial has a nice looking tread, not blocky like most. I plan on switching mine out someday.
    [​IMG]

9. I've kind've noticed that a lot of the posters chiming in seem to be from what I refer to as the "salt belt" part of the nation... in other words... they use so much salt during the winter that it literally ruins the roads due to expansion/contraction... and the bodies of our daily drivers. We've a lot of roads here that are unecessarily fubar'd... :rolleyes:

10. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

Hate to put a shameless plug in, but be sure to PM me if you need those tires, I have them available (and I'm in IL) $50 ea for 165R15-brand new

11. Here's my old driver roadster that we just put over 1400 miles on last weekend on our 10th Annual Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478680 I love the look of bias but since this car has been on the road for 10 years radials are all I have ever run on it, and I do run it pretty hard!
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2010 10th Anniversary Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run to the Black Hills</td></tr></table>
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2010 10th Anniversary Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run to the Black Hills</td></tr></table>
    And what I like the best is that out here you can run all day long at this speed (and I do!) and not worry about the tires!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Brilliant observation Kevin.

There was a car in Street Rodder an issue or two ago, and I didn't even notice it had radials. That was pretty shocking for me because I loath radials on open wheel cars. As someone else stated, the biggest problem is the wheel size. Most run wider wheels with radials than the bias ply guys, and that itself adds to the different look that the bias ply folks HATE. I don't know if it had the Excelsiors or not, but that is a HUGE step in the right direction, as long as you don't want white walls.

13. This is my old roadster,,always ran radials,,no problems. HRP

[​IMG]

14. Good to hear, what size? Are they the 7.50's in the back? What in front? They look a little bigger than the 4.50/4.75's bias plys? I'll be due for tires in the next year or so and while I don't know that I can be swayed out of the bias plys, those definitely fit the profile. :)

15. RatBone

RatBone

mine with Coker radials

[​IMG]

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

17. RatBone

RatBone

THANKS I really like the difference also

18. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

Wow, I can't believe that I read this whole post...Next let's discuss why a altenator is better than a generator, or why an open wheel car with radials and a altenator driven by a woman with implants is better than a open wheel car with bias ply's and a generator driven by a woman with natural headlamps....what?

19. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Here's mine ... with Coker Classics. And sundry other non-traditional shit -- like disc's, rack, and A/C -- that make it a truly great-drivin' car.

All you gotta do is get over the fact that some folks ain't gonna like it. But did you build it for them????? Do you owe them money??? Are they serious buyers???? If the answer to these questions is "No!" ... then what do you care about their opinions.

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Here's a shot of my fronts..all 4 are the same size. 7 inches wide...Hoosier street type radials. Excellent rain tires.
    As a side note, notice that when you turn the KC landing light covers 90 degrees you get a crescent moon above a bird.

I have run this car without fenders but don't have any pics.

Attached Files:

21. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

I like the looks, I know most on here don't, and the proformence of the radials.
    DD

Attached Files:

22. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Yes the rears are 750/16s and the fronts are 600/16s.

23. [​IMG]

firestone 8.20x15 dirttrackers out back and firestone 145r15s up front...

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Too bad we all don't have a "spare," daily deuce like this one! Cool Gary

25. ditto!