Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Fiberglass 32 Ford? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, May 28, 2010.

?
  1. Never, no way under any circumstances

108 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Only if you can't afford a real one

128 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Hell yes!

215 vote(s)
    47.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I've got a couple of cars up for sale or trade. I'm talking about trading one for a fiberglass 32 Ford coupe.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks of these bodies? I'll never be able to afford a steel one, so this might be my only option, if I really want to own one

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Why not? I would prefer steel, but heck- I'll take any Deuce I can get.

Fiberglass bodies have been around long enough to be traditional in and of themselves.

3. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

For me, if it ain't steel, it ain't real!!

Unless a car was made by the original factory as fiberglass, like the Corvette and a few others. Otherwise, new 30's style Fords, etc that are fiberglass, I consider to be reproductions and not real cars!

But to each their own. I would never own one myself. I would rather have your old steel coupe in your post than a fiberglass repo!! Is Taht a Buick??

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

It's a 38 Lasalle Opera Coupe, and the only car I own that I won't sell or trade. I'm building a blown Caddy flathead for it.

5. Master of None

Master of None

I'd build a glass '32 but I would choose wisely and look for one that has a nice solid inner structure and has clean crisp body lines. There are some really bad glass body's out there make sure you pick a good one.

6. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

My $.02:
    I'm not much of a fiberglass fan, although one of my cars does have a fiberglass body. I have seen some really nice trad style 32 coupes with fiberglass bodies, and considering the price of a steel one, that's a good option if it's a good quality body and the rest of the car is done right.

7. Really doesn't matter of course I'm a model 40 guy. Just don't care that much for Deuces.

Granted if one was going to own one I guess an original would be preferable but unless the body just doesn't resemble a real steel Deuce just upholster it and don't tell anyone. Its none of their business anyway.

8. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

How can you afford not to have a steel car. You can buy a fiberglass body put tons of time and money in it and when you are done you just have a fiberglass 32 replica that you probably wont get your money back out of and will go down in value. A steel car is an investment you can build it put money in it drive it and when you sell it you basically drive it for free because it will only go up in value.

9. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

There's no such thing as a fiberglass bodied 1932 Ford coupe. All 1932 Ford coupes were made of steel. Maybe what you mean is a fiberglass bodied car that may somewhat resemble a 1932 Ford coupe?

Sorry...a pet peeve.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  10. Always wondered about this, Not to make anybody mad but.
    If it is not a real steel Ford 32, does that make both repoped 32 steel body and fiberglass both fake ?

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

12. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Indeed.

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Correct.

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

If you're trading, the value is the value. Which car? The Graham or the '58? What's the 'glass coupe like? For what you're asking for both cars, I would assume it is just a roller, right? Being a roller, if you put money into it and get a running driving car, it will likely go up, no matter what you do to it. Will it ever be worth $80K? Depending on how you build it, probably not. Will it be worth $20k-30k? Depending on how you build it, probably yes. Doesn't matter that it isn't a real Deuce. It will still have a value, most likely more than either car you are selling, once it becomes a driver.

15. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

I think it is personal taste.
    If you can,t afford a real one,go with a copy.
    I like real steel old Fords as they have history and I like that part.
    I,m the 3rd owner of my roadster and know the history back to 32 and the coupe I know the history back to the mid 50,s

16. rebstew187

rebstew187

Oh jeeezze. Not all of us can pay the money for a 32 body. If you come across a 'glass one and YOU don't feel funny about building it then get it. No it's not real but then again alot of stuff isn't the real deal. I built my 27 RPU with 16 gauge and hand formed everything other than the cowl. Is it real? No but I like it. If you don't care what others think then build what you want and enjoy it.

17. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

why not trade car you have for glass body car, drive it around, fix it up and enjoy, then sell and buy a steel body. fiberglass roadsters bring in decent amounts enough to buy a steel body and some frame rails for sure

18. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

It's mind over matter....if you don't mind, it don't matter!!! get what you want and drive the hell out of it!!! Yes steel would be nice, but unless you have tons of money and welding ability go with the glass, hell even I can get a glass body to look good, but I can't weld, and don't have the tools or resources to do so. If somebody wants to trade out grab it up and have fun!

19. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Its kinda like a sock in your pants...sure it will look like you are packing, but are you really?:D

20. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I agree, build what YOU want, the way YOU want it, it is for YOU right ? you most likely bought or built your house because you liked it, not what everyone else thought. I would rather have a glass car, if it meant that it was that or have nothing, at all. it would still be fun

21. There are currently more 1932 Fords on the road than there were when the car was new. In fact, as of several years ago, there were currently more 1932 Fords registered just in the state of California than Ford ever built.

http://www.roadsters.com/deuce/

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a good trade is a good trade. doesn't matter if it is a glass 32 or a 73 Pinto.

if the money is right and you like the car do it.

23. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Do what makes you happy.

A well done fiberglass car has the potential to make me happy, if it will make you happy, build the car.

I am sure that some folks out there really believe that "real cars have wooden wheels", believing it does not make it true. I bet there are "some wooden wheel folks" who have never even owned a car with wooden wheels. :D

24. Abone29

Abone29

I've got a 3 window glass body that I'm gonna build after I finish the Model A.Would I rather have Henry Steel? Hell yes!! Will I ever be able to find one that's affordable? Probably not.I'm gonna build it as traditional as I can and drive the wheels off of it.You have to do what feels right for you.

25. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

26. Every time this steel verses glass thread comes up a new of opinions surface,,and we all know what opinions are like..:rolleyes:

I drove this car for several years and enjoyed it very much,and yeah,,it was glass,would I build another,,you bet I would!:D

[​IMG]

27. flynstone

flynstone

i have a 34 glass body, i always get asked is it real....i reply you cant tell ?? then what does it matter...............i think my body is way better than a rusted out bondoed up real steel,, the only diff is when you sell it you wont get 50 k you will only get 20 and yes a brookville is still a kit car....i cant afford a real one but when i cruize my glass one i got wood...so it really boils down to you premadonas, when i pass you, tell me my car is glass .......cant use a magnet

28. Django

Django
    from Chicago

29. Get one, NOW! You can always trade up to (original or Brookville) steel, or build a new one but times a wastin'! Get one and go out there and put some miles on it and HAVE FUN! That's what its all about! I've got one of each. An old glass Gibbon that I've put over 50,000 miles on and had a blast with. Lot's of memories have been made in that car! And I never lose any sleep at night worrying about it! Hell, I just washed it and it seems new again (well, almost!). And it is ready to go another 1400 miles next weeked like it did last weekend! Drive em!
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2010 10th Anniversary Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run to the Black Hills</td></tr></table>
    And my Brookville roadster project that will be the next victim of my heavy foot (its getting a new chassis and drivetrain).
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Brookville Deuce Roadster</td></tr></table>
    And my wifes restored original Model B that I love but it is sloooow!

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Our Deuce Collection</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  30. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I agree...some people have it some don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.