Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 25 Chev extended cab...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtkane, Nov 23, 2009.

1. gtkane

gtkane

I don't know about ingenuity...it's more like, don't post pics until it looks right! (you should see the beautiful scrap pile I have built!)

I should update this soon...I am a better at building than documenting...

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

OP knows what it is............. Read his post.

If the paper and the ID plate says its a Chivvy, it's a Chivvy.

Got it?:D

3. lindaswalker@cableone.net

[email protected]

I love what you have done with your project , nice to see something different made out of a car that might of been left to rot. Keep up the great work . Rick

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Any updates for us??

5. mink

mink
    from CT

What the problem, couldnt find any period correct grille?? lol look good....minus the farmall grill

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Dang. I like it.

7. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

That Sir is going to be BAD ASS..

Very nice and a real head turner......

Nice work ,you should be proud as hell of that car/truck.......

8. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

I have to say, I was kind of skeptical when I first read the post, but seeing it coming together, I'd say it works pretty well!

9. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Need more pics and updates..........dont leave us hanging!!!!

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

That was my original thought as well, but I think the proportions and looks are great!

11. gtkane

gtkane

Well, thanks for the kudos guys!
    And I do apologize for the delay in updates, and for the fact that I need more batteries for the camera...detail shots will come soon-I promise!

I'll tell you what I have done.
    Filling the rear fenders as I had described was def. the way to do it. The tops came out nice and level. I just rolled a strip of 3/4x1/8 flat to the cut edge to give it some strength and to weld mounting tabs to.

While I was cleaning out the shop one day, I had left an old tire leaning against the side of the truck, and it just looked right. So before I could change my mind, I cut off the passenger side cab corner I had built, and sunk the spare tire into it. I think it works good, and it breaks up that long stretch of running board.

Speaking of running boards, I got them built, too.
    Made up the frame using 1x1 square tubing, and skinned it with 18ga sheet metal. I have it secured to the frame in 3 spots, and it is tough-I can jump on them and they don't move!(oh, and if anyone tells you it is easy to cut 8ft lengths of 18ga with tin snips, THEY ARE LYING!!)

The tailgate was skinned with 22 ga sheet, and the "chevrolet" letters are from a 75 truck gate...I cut 'em out, and welded them in!

I got a couple of things from E-Bay, including my Model A style tail lights($50), and a full set of vintage trim rings($23)

Got a couple of things from the Winnipeg swap meet, too. Rough Model A grille shell($20), early "Chevrolet" emblem to replace the "Ford" one($8), and a 1925 Manitoba lic plate($1) (OK, a buck to buy it, and 4 hours to make it look half decent!)

So enjoy these 2 pics until I get more batteries!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. gtkane

gtkane

Now I have a couple of questions for you guys.

First, I had welded the rear portion of the 25 frame to the rear of the s10 frame in hopes of diguiseing it somewhat. But now that it is getting closer, I think it is looking out of place. Should I just lop it off even with the end of the box?

Next, I gotta start thinking about a color. I like the red wheels and engine, and the interior will be red and white. Black(either flat or gloss)is out. I ain't that good at bodywork. Red is also out.(I don't want to "show up" Boyd Who at any local shows-ha, ha!).

Kinda thinking about a light grey, sorta like that 50's Ford grey...any thoughts?

13. Yes, cut the frame off at the rear of the box. That thing is long but I do like the look with the fenders.

14. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Good meeting you at the swap meet, Graham! Sounds like you found a few goodies there. My only score was a nice Essex dash. Sold a few things, but not as much as I wanted. Oh well, the T can sit in storage.
    Damn, your truck is really coming together nicely! I really need to drop by one of these days. And you can paint it red if you want to, I plan to change the colour on my truck eventually. :p

15. Patrick46

Patrick46

First off...the truck is coming together awesome!! The spare tire is killer!

Colours?...grey was the first choice that came to my mind...but how about a mid-grey for the lower section, and a light dove grey for the roof...starting at the rear beltline. Then you get some charactor to pinstripe it in red and light powder grey. (white would be too strong)

You're getting closer!

I'm in!!

16. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

for what its worth i think a thermos bottle green body with a darker green or black fenders would look really nice with those red wheels. just my two cents. that shade of green isnt for everybody.

I will agree when i first saw this thread i made a funny face preparing myself like i was about to see something that i didnt like but i kinda dig it. its unusual yet everything seems to work together really well.

17. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Really nice build. X-Cab pickup out of and old 4 dr. is something I've dreamed about for a long time. The look and stance is just right. Hotrodding as it should be done with low budget and lots of fab. Well done!
    Oh, and yes lop off the excessive frame.

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

I think the gray would look great as mentioned you could 2 tone it, or even just do the fenders a darker shade of gray and ya I agree, lop that piece of the frame off the ass end !

19. gtkane

gtkane

The votes are in...the frame will be lopped off.

I had considered grey with black fenders, but I think I like the idea of light grey body with dark grey fenders. That combo is def. in the running!

20. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

I really like the build, but not the spare. Just my .02.

21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if you put a spare on the other side, but you could build a round tool storage box for the drivers side.

22. gtkane

gtkane

Nope...only one spare. that spot on the other side is for the fuel fill.

I am making a trap door, so to speak, in the box to put tools and junk in.

23. gtkane

gtkane

I have a chance this weekend to do a little work.(actually, my wife told me to clean up the garage for winter, and one thing led to another....)

The firewall was bugging me-it was rough, rusted and smashed. It was time to clean it up.
    I started with a scribe line that gave me about 1/4" lip to weld to...

[​IMG]

I figure once you have cut half of something out, you're kinda commited, so I finshed the cutting (with a 3 inch air cut-off tool).
    [​IMG]

You can also see the underfloor master/booster/pedal I picked up from Rodparts Warehouse for $175. I think it was a great deal!

24. gtkane

gtkane

After it was cut out, I clamped on a piece of cardboard to make a template...

[​IMG]

I then traced the template onto a piece of 18ga sheet and trimmed it out with tin snips...

[​IMG]

So, this is the transition pic...original, cardboard, and steel...

[​IMG]

Of you look closely, you can see my DNA all over the place(I gotta get a better way to cut heavier stuff!)
    I called it a day here 'cuz my hands need time to rest(and heal).
    Tomorrow, I'll finish the framework in the cowl, and weld the new smooth firewall in place. Stay tuned!

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Good to see you back at it!!

26. lawman

lawman

Nice and a lot of work there !!!!!! Tom ( Tired Old Man)

27. gtkane

gtkane

OK, I got the framework done.
    I also figured it would be easier to weld up part of the trans tunnel at this point, as well as some more of the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made the trans hump flat and square on purpose...I wanted to be able to remove the trans easily, without using rubber grommets for acess holes to the bell housing bolts. Besides, it way 1000X easier doing it this way!
    And here is the new firewall in place...I just have to finish welding and grinding it.

[​IMG]

28. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Lookin' good, Graham!

29. I love this! good job.

30. gtkane

gtkane

I also figured that it would need a hood if I am to drive it rain or shine. The only thing is, I can't find the pics of building it!
    I am gonna put hinges on the pass side so it will open to the side, and latch down on the drivers side.

[​IMG]