Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. PorkWagon

PorkWagon

Thanks for the reply. If anyone knows of one for sale cheap, let me know :D. I am just starting out striping and love that thing. I will definitely keep an eye out for one. That other box is killer too. I was checking out machinist's boxes on ebay also. They go for quite a bit. None nearly that cool.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. Never2low

Never2low

I'll play too.... These two were my dad's. He bought them at Sears, sometime in the early 50's. He raced with them into the early 70's. They are one of those things that if my house was on fire, I would go in to get them. Seriously, they are that sentimental.

Attached Files:

3. Richards Horseshoeing

Richards Horseshoeing
    from Indiana

That Snap On looks just like mine. It's a 59B and I was guessing it to be a mid 70's box. Do you still have it?

4. darkbuddha

darkbuddha

I'm new... just joined because of this thread. The collection of boxes shown here is stunning. I absolutely love this kind of stuff. My personal collection is small, both figuratively and literally, but I thought I'd show off this Kennedy box I bought off of craigslist yesterday for $5. It's not a pristine example, but it's tons cooler than any new hardware/tool store box. I'm thinking that I'll make it my kid's first tool box when he's ready. Anyway, here are some pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW, anyone know how old this box is? The logo stylistically looks older than most Kennedys I've seen, so I'm curious.

Thanks for letting me share in the sheer coolness of this thread.

5. For a company that's been around as long as Kennedy has, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on dating their products. You can check their website but I don't think you'll find much help figuring out when this box was made. The square cornered boxes are definitely older, I don't think I've ever seen that exact style of decal and I've never seen their name stamped on the hasps or any of the other hardware. I'm just going to guess that it's "pretty damn old", maybe '20s or '30s?

And you might save youself a bit grief if you post a little something in the "Introduction" thread. :D Spend some time snooping around in the other threads for awhile to kind of get the feel of the place.

6. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Not the best pics but here's my old snap on box. I'm not sure how old it is I'm thinking '40's at least. The colors are brighter than the pics show but it's pretty scratched I'm debating leaving it or restore it. I even have the key...

Attached Files:

7. crewchief888

crewchief888
    from NW indiana

CM top flea mkt find for $25 date code 10/70
    kennedy cantilever box flea mkt find for $9
    wards powrkraft saved from the scrap dumpster
    SO KR550/555 bought new in '86 for $2200

;)

Attached Files:

8. darkbuddha

darkbuddha

Thanks, and I'm on it...

9. Two new additions to my vintage tool box collection.First is an S&K tool box I bought from an old friend at a swap meet for $7 full of tools.Some were good and the box is in great shape.Never saw one marked S&K.

The second one I bought this morning at a garage sale.No maker's name on it but is HEAVY gauge steel with a small removeable tray and has a bunch of Ford marked tools in it;some look like they are special.One open end is marked T 1917 and looks like a date rather than a model number.The box is reminiscent of the shape of a Model T hood.Cost:a whole five dollars!Sorry for the lousy pics;I'll try and get some better ones in the sunlight.

Attached Files:

10. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I just scored this 30's Lincoln Engineering cabinet. These were used in service station bays in dealerships and service stations. It is one of my all time favorite work bench designs. It is just like Kev's posted earlier in this thread.

This one is complete with all of the trim, but was stripped of the paint by the previous owner with the intent of restoring it. I will finish the job and bring it back to life. I would have prefered to have the original paint but to find one at all is pretty amazing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  11. Bodger45

Bodger45

Heres my granddads box. Built by my great grandfather!

Attached Files:

wingnutz likes this.
  12. boldventure

boldventure

Acme...Very nice! Great resto project! Will you use original color?

13. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I want to paint it exactly as original but I don't know where to get the color. I can match a color once I have a sample. Any ideas?

14. That's not just a tool box, that's art! :D Especially knowing all the history that goes along with it.

The name tag on the top is a great touch. Reminds me of the similar tag on an old Kennedy chest I got several months ago.

[​IMG]

15. boldventure

boldventure

What work did your Grand-Dad do?

16. Bodger45

Bodger45

He was a mechanic. He had a shop from '53 till he passed away in '76 called Summertime's Carbureter and Electric Service. His slogan was "Engines tuned like a fine violin"

Attached Files:

17. boldventure

boldventure

Great set of tool boxes!
    I like that slogan too!
    Did you get the tools? I got most of my Dad's tools and his work tool boxes after he passed away. I've got the sign from his shop on the wall in my office/hobby room.

18. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

dont let this die

19. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Here's mine. It's the only old tool box I have.My sweet little girlfriend bought it for me back in the mid seventies. 31 Years later we're still together. She and the toolbox. only now she my sweet little wife.....check out that cool tape job, that was big on Vans back in the day...

20. AntiBling

AntiBling

I've picked up a bunch of deals lately, I just need to get them all together and get pictures of all them.

21. Couper

Couper

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50984112@N04/4683611537/I know one guy has already posted something similar but mine is somewhat different. This is off course a Kennedy. Picked this guy up in nearby Canton,Tx. This is how it differs from the other guy's box: Mine doesn't have the diamond shapes on the drawer pegs, the Kennedy signature is in the middle of the underside of the lid and the model number is on the top inside of the front cover. Any ideas on the age. The previous one was thought to be of the 50's. Someone please grace me with some knowledge.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  22. 4684238478_9747f509da.jpg

For as popular as these old Kennedy chests were, and are, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on dating them. There seems to be a lot of variations in detail on them (handles, latches, lock types, hasps, drawer pulls, logo placement, etc.) but it doesn't appear that anyones sorted out what they all mean.

With the sqare cornered lid, as opposed to the later rounded corners, I'd guess yours to be closer to 40s vintage rather than 50s. Maybe even older?

23. Way cool thread guys, love some of the stuff turning up here....my wish list just grew ten fold!! HAHA

This is a really cool number I found in a back garage at my grandma-in-law's place in. It belonged to my grandpa-in-law but doesn't have his name on it so i'm guessing maybe he bought it somewhere or got it from someone. All the drawers are felt lined, the rollers are gorgeous bearing types and it is as solid as a rock and as precise as anything. I couldnt find any markings or identifying features on it, anyone have any idea??? hopefully one day i get to look after it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone have any idea as to it's maker/model number????

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Got this in February, I've been looking for years for one of these, I think it's a Blackhawk, it's missing its wheels and axles. i plan on leaving it just as it is and getting some old wheels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  25. Those rectangular drawer pulls are definitely Kennedy;I have several Kennedy boxes including one made for Sears,Roebuck and they all have them.They should be made of brass.NICE BOX!Not sure of the year or model but if it has ball bearing slides,it is probably 50's era.I have one that has slides that cannot be removed(doesn't have the spring clips on the slides)and one earlier model that has no slides at all.

26. Yeha cool thanks! The handles brass?? hmm, i'll have to check next time i see it. It has ball bearing drawer slides that are in brilliant condition, and the drawers are super strong! At full extension you can rest a tonne of weight on em and they don't even notice. All the top drawers are felt lined with cool little adustable dividers in them. The bottom drawers have some dividers and some built in wrench holder pieces of steel. Now just have to make sure it doesnt go to a yard sale or get givin to someone by a somewhat aging and forgetful grandma! :)

27. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Here's mine that has grown over the years. Still has my first set of tools from my Dad when I was 10. Top of the line Sears Craftsman !!

Attached Files:

28. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

I thought I'd add these for all you pinstripers out there .............

Attached Files:

29. az63

az63
    from arizona

I like the old red drawer Craftsmans. Mine are from 69 or 70. Plus the Power Kraft bottom from 1970. Would love to find a top box for it.

Attached Files:

30. shelby1

shelby1
    from Lillian,Al

When I came across this thread ,it made me remember a toolbox that I had in storage . This box was given to me by my brother in 63-64 ,the tools in it are from my grand father and from my brother,the box I think is late 50s....maybe early 60's. There was a mostly full set of Ford wrench's in the box,I left it home when I went in the Navy in 65 when I got the box back in 1970 all of the Ford tools except what you see in the pic's was gone. Reilly pissed me off as this was the only things that I ever got from my grand father,I know that my drug addict nephew got them,could not prove it but....he got his due died of a overdose in 76.
    The Craftsman drill and the silver Yankee style driver are unusual and I have not been able to find any info on either one. The drill has that unusual collar behind the chuck ......? And the driver has single fluted drill bits stowed in the handle.....? My brother was a telephone repair man and I was told that phone men of that time had push drills like this at that time (late 50's early 60's).....anyone have any idea's about this two?
    Kenny

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010