Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vanishing Americana--the drive in movie theater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, May 5, 2010.

1. I grew up in Fremont, California ... we had only one Drive In Theater within the city limits ... the NIMITZ AUTO MOVIE DRIVE-IN was right next to the Dragstrip (Fremont Raceways / Baylands):

1979 - Aerial view of Fremont Dragstrip (Nimitz Drive-In upper right corner).jpg 1980 - Topographical Map of Fremont Raceways.jpg 1960s - 'HEMI Count-Down' @ Fremont Dragstrip (Nimitz Drive-In Screen in background).jpg 1979 - Snake's ARMY FC @ Fremont Raceway.jpg

Both the Dragstrip and the Drive-In are long gone ... the property is now a Shopping Center :(

2. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

medicine lodge kansas drive-in opens memorial weekend
    one of only a few in kansas www.pagentdrivein.com for info.
    open on weekends anyone interested in a show or cruise night
    let me know, would be glad to help get something going.
    owner would be interested. we have visited several times
    about it!!! family owned for years ~ lets go to the movies!!!

3. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

I know exactly where you are talking about. I grew up in Quakertown, my Dad grew up in Hatboro. I remember when I was little my parents would take us there to see movies, and even though I was a little kid I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. No longer though. Are there any other drive-in's in the area that you know of?

~John~

4. Dogfacesmitty

Dogfacesmitty

5. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Calgary area has an portable drive in theatre setup from these guys:
    http://www.freshaircinema.ca/

Our last drive in, Corral 4, was open till about 15 years ago till the used oil recycling plant next door blew up one day. You could see the smoke for miles! Nice drive in since it had 4 screens, one in each corner of the huge lot. Miss that place.

How many did Calgary have beside that one anybody know? I remember the Sunset drive in just off Edmonton trail.

6. motorhead711

motorhead711

We still have one in Lakeport, California. The Lakeport Automovies. Cool old place, nothing fancy, just a big ol screen and lots of stars. Our population is about 5000, the drive in used to have a big marquee in the front of the drive towards the theatre, now just a plastic sign tied to the fence that says "Lakeport Automovies." Ya, I know, not too original, but I'm glad we still have one.

7. That is a really good idea! I am supposed to have my name in the credits as I was an early contributor to the cause. :)

8. That database is really cool!

It even has info and a couple pics of the one that my dad lived on in Terre Haute, Indiana in the 1950s-60s. My grandfather ran the drive-in and so the family lived on the property (bet you don't hear that often!). He has some cool stories about living at the drive-in (tornados, screen fires, etc)

http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/inteas4

-Shaggy

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

The inventor of the drive in movie was the son of the guy who started and owned WHIZ oil company. I think it was somewhere in New Jersey. The son hung a sheet in the back yard and built up dirt mounds to raise the front of the car till the angle was just right then shot a 8 millimeter movie projector at it.

10. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Yep :) working my a** off to get it done by speedweek, there is talk of a possible world Premiere at Bonneville? :D Could not think of a better place and time :D. Nothing is confirmed so keep your pants on, but the desire is there, if the film can be completed by that date. The top pro soundmix is taking a lot of work / time.

But back to drive-ins. I have this way cool idea to have the West Coast Premiere of DEUCE OF SPADES at a drive-in theater in LA vascinity and make it a complete 'back to the 50's night'. Imagine this: Nothing but hot rods and classic cars in the drive-in, everyone dressed 50's style, 50's bands performing songs from the film soundtrack, swing dancing (plus demonstration from Lindy Hop world champions, which are featured in the film - hopefully if they are not touring outside of the country at that date) AND of course DEUCE OF SPADES, the two hour period drama centered around a 50's hotrodder's life and trials.

The only snag is the need for a 35 mm master, since Drive Ins have not yet upgraded to digital (cause it's super costly) and the only format they can play is 35 mm. Making a 35 transfer from a digital master is (are you sitting down?) $40,000.00 :eek: so it ain't gonna happen any time soon, and maybe never :(. BUT we are trying to figure ways around this limitation ;). WE're working on it... I'll keep you guys posted. One thing for sure: If we pull this off, this is gonna be one night to remember!!! And sure would be nice to see such Drive Ins events spread throughout the country.

11. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Check into renting a projector from a stage production company, I use a standard DVD player and sometimes laptop to show movies with a high end home theater projector at our historic theater, but
    for such a long throw application you may need something with more wattage. Check with local amphitheatres to see who brings in projectors for some leads. Good luck!

12. 56 Rum Runner

56 Rum Runner
    from Missouri

My wife and I have taken our two boys to the one in Cuba, Missouri for years, but some friends of ours told us that it's for sale and they don't think it'll be open this year unless someone buys it and reopens it. We have great memories there. We saw Pirates of the Caribean there and a huge storm blew in just as they were fighting at sea in a bad storm... it was pretty cool!

13. superchiicken

superchiicken

i think the prices of movie theater here in L.A is getting out of hand.. $12-15 per person.. hell no. i rather just wait for it on -line or something else. i have taken my kid to the drive-in " vineland " its more fun and family and kid friendly plus cheaper $ 6.50 last summer now has gone up WHOLE DOLLAR $7.50. i started thinking man i get free parking!" DRIVE-INS ARE THE FUTURE " at the prices now.

14. Im young and will gladly drive down to the drive-in when my car is up and running.

15. The 4 screen Getty Drive-in is still operating in Muskegon, MI. I worked there in '58/'59.

Charlie

16. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

We've still got two left in the Twin Cities (that I know of), the "Vally-Hi" and the "Cottage View".When I was just outta high school (Thirty-five plus years ago) there was over a dozen ! Man, I really miss that. Me and the wife still like to hit at least a couple every summer. The "Cottage View" has a freebie show on Thursday night right before "Back to the 50's".

17. scaryfast

scaryfast

I used to go to Highway 39 drive-in in Westminster, CA when I was in high school. Great memories. I moved from California many years ago, but I believe there is a Walmart now sitting where the theater used to be. :(

18. howco

howco

Many drive inns are used as swap meet areas during the daytime, works well, they're packed.
    So many 50's 60's themed restaurants are coming back, wonder if an updated drive in will ever reappear?

19. mojojojoe

mojojojoe
    from Indpls

We still have a drive in here in Indy. 4 screens, 2 movies each, flea market on the weekends. We try to go once every week or two over the summer.
    http://www.tibbsdriveintheatre.com/

20. dragster dude

dragster dude

we got two near brisbane one at yatla and one near ipswich(the last one is run by rodders)

21. rodger6494

rodger6494

I'm planning to go to the drive-in over in Memphis in the next couple of weeks.The last movies I saw there was really a triple feature. It was "Grind house" which I thought was brilliant. An Homage to old B movies,that was set up like a double feature,and the remake of "The hills have eyes2" the hill was horrible. It was the 1st time my wife had ever been to the drive-in. I don't think I coulda picked a better set of films to watch. I used to go to the drive-in in Hanford,CA,when I was stationed in Lemoore NAS.

22. Last edited: May 26, 2010
  23. We have one, too:

www.gardendrivein.com

2 screens, double features every weekend for 6 bucks can't beat it. The owner says he'll continue to stay open as long as the place keeps making money. It gets jam packed on the weekends.

24. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I am fortunate enough to live just one mile from the Sky-Vu Drive In in Warren, MN. Most nights I can see the picture from my deck, and still get the radio signal (although a pair of binocualrs helps!). I think it owns the title of the northern-most drive in in the country. It sopen between April and October, and they have fully upgraded to digital projectors and sound (July 2013 update).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.skyvumovies.com/

There is still a few around.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  25. Bloomington Minnesota

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  26. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

We have 2 pretty close both are both in a rural setting. We've taken the kids a few times always fun. Price is right, food is decent, and the kids can run themselves silly till it gets good and dark. Now I need to get off my butt build my roadster so I can enjoy it in a hot rod.

Here are links to our local drive-ins,

http://pinehilldrivein.letners.com/

http://ellsinore.com/21drive-in.html

27. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

The Shankweilers Drive In Theatre in Orfeild Pa is still open. Its the oldest one in the US and I think one of the first. I worked at the Boulvard Drine In in Allentown for 25 years, quit in 83. The screen and projection bouth are still there and the marque but the rest is old truck parking. Oh bring back youth.

28. skoh73

skoh73

Watched a great documentary on the drive-in theater last night on the local public television station. Made me really long for the good 'ol days. Last drive-in movie I went to was Stephen King's "Needful Things" with my first girlfriend-feels like ancient history.

Like BobWop said, there is one by us. From what I can tell, the people are kind of revitalizing it. I was thinking of trying to organize a show for next year. I hope the owners are openminded enough to consider it.

Maybe Friday we'll head to the drive-in in the '53.

29. truckdude1

truckdude1

I live about 1/2 mile from the last drive-in in the Chicago area, the Cascade. Traffic was really backed up last Friday around sundown for the Shrek 4 premier. We are planning a hot rod caravan to the Cascade from my house late in June, stay tuned.

30. wahoo54

wahoo54
    from Oklahoma

Tulsa OK still has the Admiral Twin Theater operating. They filmed the movie "The outsiders" there and recently had an anniverary party and invited surrounding car clubs and extras to come for a showing of the movie again. I didn't get to go but heard it was a great turnout. Great old dual screen DI. You can see it here:

http://tulsatvmemories.com/admiral.html

Jerry