Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I rechecked those wideblocks...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, May 24, 2010.

1. Rechecked those wideblocks and SCORE! They were both poly engines now minus the four barrel intakes.I also took the engine to frame mounts which would work great for putting a Mopar block into a rod. One engine had water in the oil. I just might go back and get the heads and valve train as I was too hungover when I was up there. Blistering heat was't helping....:D

2. Pics...

Attached Files:

3. swifty

swifty

Was looking at the sumps in your pics and I've never seen a sump for a poly that looks like those then I remembered in your original post that they were marine motors-duh!!
    I reckon those sumps would hold over 2 gallons. They're massive. Great to see poly parts getting back into circulation.

swifty

4. Great dragster /altered or street rod pan. They are well baffled and the extra volume adds years of engine life.

5. I'll go back and get the rest of the parts when I get time. I have to drop off a 65 Plymouth this week to add to my stash of old tin so maybe while I am there.The stock 4 barrel heads worth anything? Valve train? Cam lobes are pitted....

6. Heads are all the same 2 bbl 4 bbl and 2x4 bbl. I would leave them unless you have a project going.
    Don

7. I'm running a big block Chebbie! Stay they will.....

8. R Pope

R Pope

Geez,I hate that "wideblock" shit! THE BLOCKS ARE THE SAME WIDTH! Same everything, heads will interchange, poly 318 to "wedge" 318, so long as you swap the cam and valve gear too. And pistons. Been there and done that! Except I didn't swap pistons and ended up with real high compression with 273 heads on a poly engine.
    Sorry, I'll take my medication now. Haha.

9. I'd thought of going the opposite route years ago. Poly heads on a 360 bottom end. How did you deal with the deck water passages being in different locations than on the LA heads?

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you get them, are you going to sell the intakes?
    I'm interested!

11. I am .....I was figuring around $300.00 a piece as it seems to be the going rate but I didn't want to get into trying to ship such a heavy item.

12. An intake is shippable.. well it is in the US, I don't know what gymnastics you'd have to do to get it out of Canada, but it might be worth checking out.

13. Everybody bitches about the cost of shipping out of Canada like I control the rates. I can't give some parts away because the guys don't want to pay the price.I would bet on around $50.00 to ship one......

14. R Pope

R Pope

Never did anything to line up water passages. I think they overlap enough to flow adequately. The '65 Barracuda ran for ten years that I know of, so it wasn't much of a problem!
    I want to build a 340 with a 360 crank and Poly heads with a factory dual 4 manifold, stuff it in a '57 Fury. Sleeper? I guess!

15. Guess it wasn't a big deal after all... Here are pics of the area I was concerned about. First pic is a Poly 318. See the 2 water holes on either side of cyl. #5 right above the head bolt holes? That whole part of the casting was eliminated on the LA engines. The 360 head gasket I used for comparison was open in that area! Second pic is a 360. You can see the water transfer passages were moved to the ends of the deck. Hell, I might have another look at this for my 51 Plymouth. Still have a 2X4 intake I found at a junkyard back then..
    (Also note that the Poly block has cast-in reliefs for the staggered pushrods. Not a problem when you are putting LA heads on, but definitely an issue with poly heads on the LA block...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  16. $50 wouldn't be that bad, that's not much more than it cost the last one I shipped FedEx here in the states.

17. I just checked at the post office....$100.00 to ship one to California!!! Too much hassle if you know what I mean. 54-55 pounds the damn thing weighs! $300.00 for an intake and another $100.00 shipping? Not worth it too me but maybe to someone else....

18. 73RR

73RR

When you go back be sure to pull the rt. angle oil filter mounts...and get all of the pieces.

19. pdq67

pdq67

To this day, I don't know why the poly-head wasn't modernized unless that it was just CHEAPER to can the shaft rocker assembly that made it possible to use and go true wedge!

Sucker look's like a great alternative to the double shaft true hemi by me.

And I would think it if reworked PROPERLY by a Pro, that it would outflow a wedge chamber.

Any comments on why the OLD MOPAR canned the poly-head design??

pdq67

PS., I want to say that my '87 Chevy Sprint ER 1,000 cc, 3-banger corn-popper engine, was designed like a SOHC poly-head way back then.

20. 73RR

73RR

Same thing that killed the Early Hemi is that Chrysler was slowly changed from having engineers in the top company positions to having bean counters in the top slots.
    There are some dedicated Poly Pros running around and they are building 402 inch engines delivering way over 400 hp.

I have access to big cranks for the small blocks if you have a urge....:cool:

21. Yup, cheaper to make and assemble. Although the LA engines still used shaft rockers, you don't have to pre assemble all the pushrods before installing the head like a Poly. The heads were MUCH better, IMO, but Chrysler took the cubic inch route to cheap thrills...