Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! What to do between Chicago and Bonneville?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kuztomklaus, May 23, 2010.

1. Some say the internet has ruined everything ... however, we don’t think that ... the internet is our friend and the source of invaluable information, as I’m sure many of my fellow HAMBers are in agreement with ...

We’re planning our trip to Bonneville and we’ve been searching for weeks and weeks and weeks for cool things to do between Chicago and Bonneville. Unfortunately, we are coming up EMPTY on the internet!

Fellow HAMBers in the Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado (Denver), Wyoming and Utah ... please suggest cool things to do ... i.e. car meets, cool things to see, personal or professional garages, museums, cool people (like YOU!) to see and/or visit from August 5 – August 11! After Chicago we’re hitting Lincoln NE to visit the Museum of American Speed @ Speedway ... but that’s all we’ve been able to find and there’s a lot of miles and time to fill before we get to Bonneville!

Please share all your gems with us so the trip getting to Bonneville is the best possible adventure it can be!

Thanks a million for your help!

Kuztom Klaus

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Three things. Deadwood is a neat old town too. I should know state but it is on the way. Oh yeah Sturgess. My brotherinlaw Jerry that owns the 54 and is pictured behind it told me to mention Speedy Bills in Lincoln Ne.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  3. Steel Rebel ... and those three things would be ... ????????

4. duffman

duffman

looks like MT Rushmore, Crazyhorse monument, Devils tower, and the salt! Been to them all and well worth the stops.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's also a pretty interesting deal in Murdo, SD. The Pioneer Auto Museum. I understand some of the stuff has been sold the last couple of years, but AFAIK there is still a lot there to see. You could drive from Chicago to Rapid City in one day, then see Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Devils Tower the next, and make it to the salt on day 3.

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

7. donnie

donnie
    from NC

How much time do you have to make this drive? Its a long drive.
    I have done it twice, but we drive straight through.
    It takes us about 24 hours.
    I would suggest you stop at the Worlds Largest Truck Stop in Iowa on I-80.

8. spook498

spook498

9. woodman

woodman

Don't drive through Idaho, it will probably be snowing then.

10. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Speedy Bill's Museum of Speed in Lincoln NE just off I 80 is a MUST SEE.

Ed

11. cheapskate

cheapskate

Just last week learned of the "Golden Spike Tower" in North Platte, Ne. You can take a tour of the railroad control tower and see trains being assembled, switched, and all the other things railroads do in one of the largest train yards in the world. Check the race schedule at the Knoxville Speedway, Knoxville Iowa, Good sprint car racing. Enjoy your trip.

12. dakota tom

dakota tom
    from dakotas

I would second the auto museum in Murdo SD if your going on I-90.

Just off I-80 about 15 miles would be Harold Warps museum in Minden,NE.

Not much for cars, maybe check out the Stur museum at Grand Island, NE. more about early days on the plains.

Both are mid state and a good place to strech your legs.

The is a car museum in Montana I stopped at once in the old state penitentiary.

13. dakota tom

dakota tom
    from dakotas

If you interested in early american agriculture there is a living history farm in Des Moines, Iowa.

14. spook498

spook498

Also, somewhere in Nebraska, on the north side of the road (I-80) a guy has a "showroom" of old cars. It looks like a glass front garage or something. I think it is a private collection. I cant remember exactly where it is, except that it is between Lincoln and Ogalalla. (I want to say it is near Cozad) You can clearly see it from the interstate, but its between exits.

15. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Spook Ive seen that place from (I80) allways wanted to stop but never did. Kuztomklaus enjoy your trip to the US. lots of nice country across (I80). If your driving both ways think about comming back (I70) or (I90) both are nice trips lots to see. Ron

16. Hatman69

Hatman69
    from NE

17. Thanks you guys! I knew that the HAMB would come through for us!! We plan on leaving Chicargo August 5th cruising I-80 stopping in Lincoln NE and then ???? What do you think should we go through Denver on I-70 or should we continiue on I-80 through Wyoming to Salt Lake City?? We'll plan to arrive in Vendover August 12th.

Klaus

18. dakota tom

dakota tom
    from dakotas

That museum was called Chevyland. Elm Creek, NE. I stopped there in 1988. It closed a couple of years later. I don't know if it is open to the public now. There is a phone number listed yet. 308-856-4208

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  19. dakota tom

dakota tom
    from dakotas

I-80 is faster, I-70 more mountains.

20. coupedevil

coupedevil

Rob and I are going to stop for 2 days at Bo Huff's in Utah. He has alot of cool stuff to see, Rock a billy and of course beer. Spoke with him and you and Cindy are more than welcome to stop in too we will be there probably Wed and Thursday leaving early Friday morning to hit the salt.:D

21. slammed

slammed

If your a REAL John Wayne fan, Winterset, Ia. has his birthplace restored. If on I-80 western Neb. will test your fortitude!

22. rabidcustoms

rabidcustoms
    from Iowa

do yourself a favor and hit nebraska at night :D

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF you decide to come thru Denver, I can list 20 things that'll take you twenty days to do...or 40 things that'll take forty days to do...you got that much time...???

Denver and the surrounding area is huge with car stuff and sight seeing...and so is ColoRODo...

R-

24. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Make a stop by hot rod chassis and cycle in addison illinois they always have some cool projects in the shop.

25. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Duffy's Collectible Cars is in Cedar Rapids Iowa, about 20 minutes north of I-80. They usually have lots of 60s and 70s muscle cars and Vettes for sale in the showroom but they charge admission if you are just looking around. Refundable if you buy a car!

26. scarylarry

scarylarry

Klaus do I-80 on the way out I-70 on the way back. on 70 you could do the St. Louis arch, museum at Indianapolis Speedway.

27. scarylarry

scarylarry

The ride home on 70.

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LN2ZegyGFGw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LN2ZegyGFGw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Of all the things to do, eat cow nuts?

30. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED