Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Any YOUNG gearheads try to stake claim to your cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Davi☠Rotten, May 21, 2010.

1. Jus curious if anyone else out there have lil ones that seem to love your cars more then you do? I have a 2 boys one is older and semi interested in cars.. My younger one is a bonified gearhead. I have a 64 impala on the back burner jus sitting in the back of my garage.. My 5 year old has taken claimed to this car. He insists its his to everyone he speaks to.. He even has a direction and goal with the project. Black with flames and moc mocs (skulls) and he want the engine sticking out of the hood.. The real kicker is when ever Im out and about in the garage or jus randomly in the house he will ask if he can go work on it. One day I handed him a air sander and figured he would give up after a minute or so.. Hour and half or so later he had the firewall pretty well scuffed up.. I threw together a small block for another car and had it painted all up and looking good and he tried to take claim to it.. Well couple hours later he came to the garage and saw it in another car and seriously threw one of the biggest temper tantrums of his life. When this kid was 3 or so in a stroller if ya went to a car show he would insist you go over and roll him 360 all the way around the cars he liked or he would cry..

Honestly I hope this passion stays with him and leads him to something great in the industry when he gets older..

Anyone else have any lil one that run there garages?

2. 61falcon

61falcon

my daughter is 3 and already knows that my falcon is different from the daily drivers. she enjoys riding in it and likes the loud exhaust. she looks at car magazines and can pick out the cars that resemble my father in laws 32 ford sedan and knows they are hot rods. ya, shes awesome.

3. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

two of my younger siblings fight over my camaro. they both claim that it is going to be their's when they are old enough to drive. one of them tells every one that the car is her's and that as soon as she has the $ saved up its getting painted yellow. i bet they day i sell that car they will both be pissed but o well lol.

4. noboD

noboD

Sounds like you better start working on the '64!!

5. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Yep, my nearly 4 year old daughter claims the Studebaker, Rusty the '46 and my off topic fiberglass wonder ( '93 Corvette). I mentioned selling the 'vette and the '46 the other day and she began crying, telling me, "Daddy, I don't wanta sell them, I'll miss them". She hasn't saw the VW bug I just traded for yet, but I'm sure she'll claim it too.

6. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

My kids (2 boys) always loved my cars/projects. They each have their own cars now. My oldest has a '67 Fairlane 500 XL w/ a 302 and the youngest has a '70 Mustang coupe that we converted from a 6 banger to a 5.0 HO roller motor and T5 5 spd.

7. chevyshack

chevyshack

My oldest son(15) has never really takin to anything except fast and furious type cars. He wants an eclipse. My youngest son(12) wants a '70 nova or a mustang. My daughter is 8 months old so hopefully i can get her into the car seen.

8. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

My oldest could care less, my little one (5) is crazy about anything with wheels. He's already got plans for the 69 c-10, the harley, and the 32 chevy.

9. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

I have twins that will be 16 in sept, the girl wants a beat up vw " because she knows she will bounce off a few things till she get's the hang of things" her quote,not him he raced go-carts since he was 6, could back the truck,& trailer up when he was 9,i wouldn't be afraid to jump in the truck now & let him take me anywhere,but when he brings up the way he is going to drive" MY 32" to school and on the stip in town with his hoodlum friends ,I have flashbacks of my youth,so does anybody know of a cheap yugo?

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

boy wants the Bel Air, girl wants the hearse.

11. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

My youngest son 9, and youngest daughter 10, are always going at it about my 70 Impala. It's a never ending.... " Dad... When you die... Who gets the Impala???"
    Told 'em I was gonna be burried in it. My oldest son has made his claim to the 54 GMC, Just glad I wont be there for the fist fight!! lol!

12. Oldest grandson, age 11, refers to Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup as "my truck." Keep telling the boy he's got to wait until Paw Paw is dead or at least too old to drive.

13. I bought a 65 Vette back in 84 in a million pieces. My then 8 year old daughter asked me if she could have it when she gets older.Jokingly I said "sure" thinking she would soon forget about it. Well. I am constantly reminded year after year that I promised her that car. So I told her when I die, its hers.I bought a 67 Fairlane parts car for my XL around the same time. It sat in my back yard for years with the parts I needed removed from it.My son asked if he could have the old thing. I was going to junk it and said "sure". He has since restored it all but paint.Watch what you say to your kids, they just might be very serious!

14. A couple of years back my then 11 year old son took a liking to F-100's.

I went down the the shed one day and noticed a 57 F-100 chassis in the drive had a post it note, with "Josh" on it

When I got into the shed I found post it notes on the following: 351 Clevo, FMX, 9" diff housing, 9" centre, a tunnel ram, and a set of mags.

Coolest thing was .......... they were all the right parts to do a F-100 roller, and he hadn't "tagged" anything else.

Fast forward 2 years .....he now only has his eye on one thing ........... my 57 Chev Stepside.

Meanwhile his 10 year old brother is taking a keen interest in anything that looks like it might be part of a "T bucket" ...... but I've almost convinced him a 23 T modified is "almost the same, only better"

I figure anything I don't use, will be in good hands :D

15. KRITTERSKUSTOMS

KRITTERSKUSTOMS
    from JONES, OK

My 21 year old allready has staked claim to my race truck, my 16 year old swears he is taking the 27 coupe to the prom, and my 9 year old want the 72 Chevelle. I guess the 40 Ford truck is all up to the girls.

16. 59mercsled

59mercsled

I got 2 boys and one due in about a month so i got alot of projects in the future. Cand have my boys driving stock hondas to school. LOL.

17. Nice thanks for sharing guys.. But I think some of you are right.. No matter how long I have this 64 he's not gonna forget or grow out of it.. I was out yesterday cleaning up my other Impala and he went to work on "his" again.

18. 19vegas56

19vegas56

My 18 yr old son has laid claim to my '66 Delta conv. since he was about 11. He's told me many times that the olds is his & he's just letting me drive it. He does a lot of work on it & helps out a lot w/ my '48 ply coupe.
    He had a good answer when I told him I was going to be buried in the car. He said he'd just have me cremated & I could stay in the ashtray.

19. Armstrong

Armstrong

My son is 31 and will be the one who gets my tools and cars. I'm a little worried that he might try to speed the process along. I catch him looking at me strangely sometimes;)

20. LilT is 3 1/2, he already has a 29 Cloased cab pickup. He says," daddys hawtrod, Uncle Todds hawtrod and my hawtrod" point out the 28 tudor, the 27 Roadster and the PU in the shop. Makes me smile.

21. elgato65

elgato65

No kids here, but my wife and I are constantly surrounded by neighborhood ruffians when we're out working on the '65 Chrysler and the '58 Fairlane

22. HotRod33

HotRod33

If your kids want to work on or claim your hotrod that is great... my kid will drive the shit out of my hotrods but they only thing he will do is change the oil or wash one of them..... He works on a friends stock car all the time and can fab up parts and has learned to weld but he is just not interested in working on hotrods...

23. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm 26 and when I was a kid I think I was more attached to my dad's cars than he was. I was so mad when he sold his jeep and his elcamino to buy a new truck. I didn't understand why you would sell two cars for one. I also took claim to his '51 vicky. I'm still kina attached to that car even though it's a little rough just because I remember how much I loved it.

24. lol.. I remember taking claim to a few of my dads cars and ending up with some of them early in my teens. One being a elky also R.I.P.

25. ChevyDevil

ChevyDevil

I know how this goes because I was the kid! When my parents found out they were having me, Dad said I got the 55 Chevy. Mom teases that my first words were "my car". Dad encouraged me to no end by putting my name on it at car shows and making me take care of the trophies & detailing. I had the car at my parents for the weekend and all sorts of family were stopping by because I was in town. (They saw the car.) A lot of non-family still ask Dad why he gave her to me. Now my brother on the other hand is just now starting to show an interest in his 57 wagon... Time will tell.

26. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Took apart the 49 AD for a "Last build" sorta thing, you know, the normal section buff and paint that turned into a frame off and gloss and chrome everywhere...

Anyway, My 4 almost 5 year old told me a few weeks ago....."Daddy, when you gonna get my truck fixed so me and you can go crusin?"

Guess I got my motivation back...

27. No bullshit my sons first word was "car" clear as day before he said mom or dad.. He was coaxed a lil..

28. metalman

metalman

I drive my buddies Model A quite often, my 13 year old daughter has claimed it as hers for the last couple years, says it's her favorite of "her" cars. Got mad at me when I sold "her" 61 Oldsmobile. Now last week when I put chrome reverse wheels with blackwalls on the daily driver 57 Ranchero she wanted to know where "her" whitewall had gone! Oh, she also informed me that the new 40 Tudor project I'm building is going to be her High School ride (fraid not sweetheart!) unless I get a nice 65 Mustang in the meantime (that's a maybe!).
    She has told me I have to pick her up at school in a "cool" car, she tells me she has a reputation as the "car girl" at school, she needs to maintain the reputation. All good with me.

29. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

My son is 9 and he is very involved in building our 28 truck, he picked the color combo. He wants a two tone paint job, black on the bottom and a heavy flake candy red roof.
    Last week he got in trouble in class for drawing hot rods when he was supposed to be reading.

30. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

My question to all members of the HAMB.

Who hasn't gotten in trouble for either reading a car rag or drawing cars while your supposed to be doing something "educational"?

Sounds like my kinda kid.