Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Rex Rod & Chassis Digger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 21, 2010.

1. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Looks to me like the motor is mounted to a motor plate front and rear. With the motor mounted in there that should act as a brace.

2. synthsis

synthsis

I know what's on my longterm list, after I get back to work.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True, guess I zeroed in on the first picture and that spot on the frame jumped out at me. As long as the motor plates are tied in good it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for pointing that out.

4. JennyJPT

JennyJPT
    from Durango,CO

5. oh man. that is killer

6. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

So I'm guessin' $2000.00 gets you what's in the first three pics of Ryan's entry , no front axle / spindles / links etc...

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Nicely done, hope he does well with the diggers. Now, about Keith's place, and specifically the maroon 40 tudor. Maybe you have posted about his place and car and I didn't see. Sure would like to see more 40 tudor and it's surroundings.

8. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Cool. Yeah lets see a class.

9. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

"If we can get three or four built and committed to the HAMB Drags, we will even get a class up"

So what have you got in mind?

Tim

10. As has been noted on several of the vintage FED threads here, the TE-440 style roll bars will never be approved by NHRA. There are plenty of non-sanctioned tracks to race on, just don't expect to get a NHRA tech guy to put a tag on one of these or any other early designed frame.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

correct. I don't think anyone interested in his kind of car would be all that concerned about racing on an nhra track anyhow.

12. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Yeah that one with the halibrands would look great with early cadillac hilborn injection and my fat ass in the seat!!!! OOoooh wait it will have all of those.

FLiP

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I gotta get one.... nailhead,injected...mmmmmmmm

14. I would have to disagree with Ryan on this one. I want to know if adding a brace or bar or two would make it pass nhra. I would run that thing anywhere I could. And flat tow it with my wagon and kids in the back. Sign me up

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Damn I'm slow. Keith T. of course.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To get it to pass NHRA tech, I think you would end up with a car that looked nothing like what you see here... And you might as well build a modern FED.

In my opinion (Keith's might differ), these cars are targeted more towards the growing group of tracks and racers that find the NHRA irrelevant. MoKan, Little River, and countless other great tracks would host these things in a new york minute... And that's where the most fun is anyhow...

Again, this is all just opinion... and you know what they say about those.

17. Thats why I asked about NHRA tech, because there are no outlaw tracks around here. I don't know if Beaver Bob (IHRA) would let it run at the Showdown Drags, maybe 1/8 mile. I'll have to ask him.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, I've seen pics of those.

Here on the HAMB, even...

To me, building something like that ( carbonfiber clad & all the proportions messed up ) is completely pointless.
    If that's what it takes, just forget about that last little link to the old FED's and build a RED.

But the REX Digger is a thing of absolute beauty.

Seeing a couple race eachother would be awesome...

19. texdesoto

texdesoto

20. D Staig

D Staig

Wow! Thats awesome!!!

Well done Keith.

Out of curiosity, how many passes would you get at an event like the Hamb Drags or DOTD...providing everything went as planned?

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last year, we had the longest staging lanes in history. And we still had over 15 guys get more than 5 passes.

22. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

ardmore dragway will probably let'em run! gather them up and bring'em!! i have a gas coupe in the works with a blown sbc 4.71 with a two port hilborn. good insperation ,looks good man!

23. cracker head

cracker head

24. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

More and more NHRA sanctioned tracks are having 'drag day' where hot rods / street rods can run down the track for free. I believe there are at least 3 in Indiana this year alone. Muncie Dragway is having one today as a matter of fact and I am getting ready to there myself. It is usually set up where the drivers and their cars are admitted for free and the tracks make their money on spectator / concessions.
    Visit indyroadrockets.com or munciedragway.com for details.

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Oh man I am saving my dimes.

26. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

What about selling plans for $100.00 or so for guys with the tooling to build em on their own.. Some guys may not want to ship or just want to be their own builder. Then it would be easy to have classes of cars with the same specs... Jason..

27. Could one of these be run anywhere on the west coast? Maybe the Eagle Field deal. Possibly at Dragfest. (They did get the Purple People Eater through tech, somehow)

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Do they still drag race at all in California? :)

I know keith has one track in mind. Somoa? Or something like that...

29. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Depending upon where you live, a couple of extra tubes really mean very little if you want to run your car...if you move , they can be cut off.:)

30. I suspect the addition of bars as seen in this photo posted by Mazooma today could pass NHRA tech.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2010