Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '34 3W doors questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coke-bottle, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Yesterday, looking my '34 ford sedan delivery project from front I was asking myself if the doors are the same of '34 Ford 3W?? I know that the sedan delivery is a stretched tudor body with the Fordor front door but I don't know if is the same thing for the 3W.

If no what are differences?

Thanks in advance
    Luca

2. for one thing , the upper rear corner of the doors are different

i have no idea on the length , but i would guess that is different

3. 3 window doors are unique. they do not interchange with any other 34 body style.

The sedan delivery doors might be the same as a 5w coupe, but I'm not exactly sure about that.

4. if a sedan delivery really uses a 4-door front door then it would be shorter than a 3-w door. 4-door doors and 5-w coupe doors are the same length

i believe 3-w and tudor sedan doors are the same length

5. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

So delivery have the same doors of 5W? Entrusting!

6. not actually the same doors , 4-door front doors and 5-w doors are slightly different. they can be interchanged with a small amount of work

7. if you look close in this picture you can see the shape of the rear upper edge of the 3-w door...it curves forward

[​IMG]

8. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I've heard that a tudor door will interchange with a 3 window door. The location of the hinges is the only varient. Dimensionly the same though.

9. alchemy

alchemy

From the beltline down they will. It's common for guys repairing 3-windows to use common tudor doors as replacements, and splice their 3-window door tops to them. I think the lower two hinges are in the correct places.

10. 4ever18

4ever18

It's true that a lot of fellows use two door sedan doors as replacement doors for their three window coupes. In addition to changing the door tops, the lower hinge must also be relocated. One subtle difference is the "thickness" of the door (looking down at the window opening in the top of the door).

When using a four door sedan front door on a 5 window coupe, the rear of the window opening must be shortened, both above and below the top hinge. Also four door sedan hinges are unique to the four door body style. You can use the four door hinges on the 5 window coupe, but you must use both halves of the hinges (or swap the hinges for true two door versions). Another subtle difference between the 5 window door and a four door sedan door is the thickness of the door top. The true 5 window door top is slightly thicker, due to the curve of the 5 window body - as compared to the less curved four door sedan body.

If you've used the more common sedan door on your coupe, 999 out of 1000 people will never notice the difference - as long as the conversion work is done properly.

11. Weasel

Weasel

And this may sound unnecessary for the cognoscenti, but make sure you use 1934 doors and not 1933 doors on your '34.

12. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Ok, so tudor doors are often used to repair 3w doors from the beltline down. What about 33-34 Vicky doors? Are they the same as tudor doors?

Someone needs to document the length of all the different doors, measured at the beltline. Anyone want the assignment??

13. 34 Sedan delivery doors are only for that model, it was not made by Ford but Briggs I have one and so does my pal. They are one offs . so is the back door and latch.

Attached Files:

14. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

...any Vicky experts want to chime in here?

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

1933 Victoria and Tudor share the same doors, as do the 34 Victoria and Tudor.

original price for 1933 $20.00 each, 34 $17.75 each, less paint and trim.

Ford Body Parts Price List, 1933-34
    effective August 1, 1934

Last edited: May 21, 2010
    rod1 likes this.
  16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

1933 Fordor and Sedan Delivery share the same doors as do the 34 Fordor and S/D.

Original price for 1933 $20.00 each, for 1934 $18.00 each, less paint and trim.

Ford Body Parts Price List, 1933-34
    effective August 1, 1934

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

5W doors are unque to the 5W only.

The Sedan Delivery shares doors with the Fordor sedan.

18. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

19. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

insted of coverting sedans into 3 window and fordors into 5 windows. We should convert fordor's in sedan delivery's. And than have something different.

29EHV8 likes this.
  20. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So,that 17.75 dollars in 34 would be $313.83 in 2016.What a deal.Old thread ,I know.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016