Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Color Suggestions on 51 merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim64, May 19, 2010.

1. Tim64

Tim64

Anybody have thoughts on the paint choice on my 51 kustom merc.
    Considering satin black, gloss black, bright orange pearl, 50's baby blue. ????
    Don't know but i need to pull the trigger!

2. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

its ur call man, pick something! lol check out houseofkolor.com and download the new tech guide, it will come up as a file, the first 30 pages are colors u can see. maybe give u an idea.

3. jfrolka

jfrolka

Do you have pics of it? I see in your intro that EXK is doing the build so im sure the car has a unique style already so toss out a pic!

4. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

Post pictures of it. Hard to lump it in one color if we don't know the basic style it has or the one you're going for.

My opinion would be either GLOSS black, a copperish orange metallic or a medium grey-blue metallic. Those are my favorite colors on a Merc.

5. Tim64

Tim64

Having trouble uploading pics. They tell me my pic files are to large. I don't known how to make them smaller. working on it. I took a couple from my phone and i'll try uploading those.

6. Tim64

Tim64

Ok a couple of pics are now up. I'll get more later

7. brokesville hooligan

brokesville hooligan

the bright orange pearl would look sweet on that merc .

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all cars should be shiney black.

9. Attached Files:

10. vintage tin

vintage tin

After seeing the pics of the car I don't think IMO that any of the colors you mentioned are right for that Merc. Need to think outside the box. That thing is unique, don't dumb it down with a common color choice.

^

11. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

I think a very deep candy maroon would look great on the car

12. louie the fly

louie the fly

Man, that car is friggin awesome. Now here's my $0.02 worth. My take on it is that it's a more modern style of radical custom rather than a more traditional style custom. So a traditional style paint job wouldn't do it justice. What about some effect paint job like holographic pearls, or translucence pearl with holographic flake, or something like that. Or a modern version, using modern paints and colours, of a famous custom of the golden era. Just a thought.

I agree with Vintage Tin. Too unique to put just any paint job on it.

Louie (BTW, sorry if I misinterpreted the concept of your car)

13. YES....MAROON, AWESOME MERC! cw.

14. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

It's not "different" but the all-time best color for a Merc has always been Maroon, IMHO.

15. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Metallic purple w/black or Tangerine w/gold base coat. Hands down one of the prettiest mercs I have ever seen.

16. firerod63

firerod63

I think a flat black body with a bright pearl metallic orange would look sweet. Maybe throw in a matching thin orange stripe down the body line?

17. Attached Files:

18. Burgandy, looks great on those cars. Burgandy/Maroon would be my choice. What color is the interior going to be? White rolled and pleated looks great with Burgandy. But, hey it's your car.

19. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

20. deep red, like a merlot, blood color

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ahhh, the "politics" of color...

FWIW, any dark color will make the body appear smaller and minimize the changes made to a car...and used on an interior, it tends to close it up. When looking at an all black interior, can you recall seeing anything jump out at you (console, mods to the dash, floor shifter, etc.)...??? Dark colors are a real bitch to keep clean.

A lighter color will lengthen the car, make it appear lower than it is and highlight the changes made...a light color will also expand the interior of a car, make it look larger and lots more comfortable. Lighter colors will not show the dirt or dust easily.

But in the absolute end, everyone here has an opinion on what they think looks best, mine not excluded (but I'm not posting it)...after all, it's simply personal preference and what you can live with for a few years...

R-

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's what I'm thinking for my '52......today at least.

23. krome

krome

go a bronze or brown color

24. jb2wheeler

jb2wheeler

Whatever you do, do not give it a flat finish paint job or start a custom paint job with a flat base coat. JB

25. Here's one color I love.....
    [​IMG]

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

In the flesh, it will look great in any really dark color: green, purple, cobalt would all be good choices. But those are tough to photograph, and a car of this sort obviously deserves to be photographed. If it was mine, I'd choose a really dark candy.

NOT FLAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome work in the quarters/skirts, by the way. I'll be interested to see the rest.

27. Not flat anything. No flames or anything that would draw the eye away from how smooth and perfect it appears to be.

28. lorodz

lorodz

[​IMG]
    this color with cream interior sweet and alot of chrome or stainles

29. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Not black. It sucks after 3.375 years. All the other suggestions seem totally acceptable.

30. bobscogin

bobscogin

HOK Kandy Brandywine over a gold base. Different, no. Classic, yes!

Bob