Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Here Builds Cars WITHOUT a TIG Welder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrGasser, May 18, 2010.

1. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...and just uses a MIG, or, occasionally, a, (God forbid!), arc welder?!! My hot rod builder neighbor, when I was a pre-teen, taught me to oxy-acetylene weld, and by the time I was in junior high and could take shop class, we were taught to arc weld...years later, I taught myself to wire-weld...

...while working at a custom bike shop a couple years ago, I had the chance, during down time, to start to learn to TIG, but haven't pursued it, not having my own TIG welder...

Do you guy's who don't TIG, feel a need to learn how?, or are you comfortable with your current set-up's?

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

in sure learning to tig and having the tig welder would be great, but i have been happy with both of my mig machines to do anything that i need,

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Mig and arc....A good tig is way out of reach and should be watercooled......

4. madgrinder

madgrinder

MIG-it!

I never used a TIG, but the MIG and gas-rig fit very well in my hands:)

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

I had a nice TIG machine, until Hurricane Katrina put it under 5 feet of salt water back in August of '05. I replaced it with a Millermatic 212 MIG, and to tell you the truth I really don't miss the TIG that often.

Bob

6. Anderson

Anderson

My little mig has gotten a lot of use over the years, and I'm putting together car number 2 with it. I would never say it's anywhere as nice as a TIG, but it works for me.

I'd love to have a TIG but finances have never allowed for it.

7. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

me and my buddys use both mig and stick and even gas. very rarely do we ever need to borrow someones tig.

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Ox-acetylene torch and an arc welder have done fine for many years. Most hot rods ain't rocket surgery.:p

9. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I do. I didn't get a mig until about 10 years ago. I'll bet there have been more cars built with an arc welder in the past than anything else. 99% of your backyard,garage,shadetree, whatever you want to call us can't afford a tig or most can't use either[me included].I use coat hanger and a torch also. TP

10. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

no tig , but use the hell outta my 135 buzz box and a torch ... some of the finer details I wish i had my hands on one or actually wish one of my friends did ... i can do it but its so damn slow

11. gtkane

gtkane

I'll join this club!

Maybe, one day, I'll even ditch the flux-core and get a bottle, but that's gettin' pretty hi-tech...

12. This was built with an arc welder....
    [​IMG]

...and this was patched with a wire feed.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. James427

James427
    BANNED

I'm looking to replace my Hobart 180 (stolen) with another Mig. Thought about a Tig but I'm so comfortable welding just about anything with a mig other than aluminum that I'm going back with a mig.

14. Chopperman

Chopperman

MIG here.

Want a TIG but not in the budget..

IMO a tig forces you to be a better fabricator...

15. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

I just purchased a tig and have hilt a few o/t cars without. I built a roll cage for myself with a flux core 110 wire feed machine. Maybe young and dumb but it was tested and passed just fine. I only got the tig for tighter, more precision welds. A lot more prep work and more picky on my positioning, but the cleanliness of it is nice

16. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

From my limited experience, absolutely.

17. I have 2 MIG's, one big and one small.....they take care of 90% of my welding. For anything else I use a stick welder. Never tried a TIG...

18. never even used a tig, but a mig fits me and my budget reeeeaaaallll good

19. 6berry

6berry

im just using a gasless mig. hopefully i can upgrade to gas after i move. i would like to learn to tig but i just need to find someone in my area who wants to teach me

20. 117harv

117harv

The tig is like any other tool you don't need, until you get one and say i can't believe i went without it for so long. I only have a tig and i weld alot of things that would be better off with a mig, but using the tig makes me more aware of fit and finish. I have been using only tig for the past four years and helped a budy do some work at his shop with a mig a few months back, i didn't like it, splatter, larger beads etc.

I am not a mig hater and if i had some extra $$$ or room i would add one to the shop it definently has its place. Anything a mig will do a tig will too and then some. I do find it handy to weld stainless, and aluminum at will. Tacking pieces of work together during mockup is handy with tig, you can just fuse it and weld over for final. Wire feed tacks usually have to be ground down before final weld.

21. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

I'm teaching myself, as i did with wire feed. I'm sure I'd be better if i took classes for both, but personally I'm finding tig to be easier.

22. It is amazing how many times this subject is brought up. There has to be a hundred threads here about the different welding systems.

23. Anderson

Anderson

I should also mention that I have always used it on the bottle, never have used flux core.

24. It is amazing how many times this comment is made in the hundreds of threads about different welding systems. :rolleyes:

Any, my 2 cents worth.
    Flux wire Mig and Arc and occasional Gas for me.
    Can't justify buying a Tig and learning to use it.

25. slowwrx

slowwrx
    from Atlanta

I'm probably in the .01% of people who can TIG but have never used a MIG. I've always used the tig for everything. I've tack welded a few things with the MIG but thats about it.

26. I've been gettin' MIGgy wit it for about thirty years. My motto is "If ya can't weld good, weld a lot". I didn't write it, but I stayed in a shitty motel...

27. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I Arc weld everything, including sheet metal.

[​IMG]

It doesn't look pretty but it holds up well. Someday I'll use the Tig attachment for my welder but for now I'll just keep Arc welding.

28. If you can TIG, bad ass, but that's an art, not a skill. Anyone can MIG within an hour. Maybe not pretty, but...

29. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I have always used mig. In fact I just purchased a new unit finally. That money was actually gonna go for a tig but my old unit took a dump and since I had planned on replacing it anyway..........well now im saving for a tig again.I want both mainly cause I have a sickness when it comes to tools,but also I dream of bieng that "better fabricator". I believe its true as well. But I am definitly working at making the better functional welds with the mig for sure!!!!

30. 117harv

117harv

Tig welded dirty sheet metal.

Attached Files: