Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is There Such Thing as Generic Stainless Trim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, May 17, 2010.

1. 4woody

4woody

I'm wanting to add some trim to my skirts. It would need to be about 3/4" wide x 30" long with a "Half-oval" cross section. Other similar stuff on my cars is stainless channel so you slide the fasteners into position on the back.

Is there anyplace to just get lengths of the stainless channel?

2. 4woody

4woody

I found a place that sells solid half-oval in brass or steel, but I'd still have to solder pins on the back and then get it chromed.

Stainless channel??
    Anyone??

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

Last edited: May 17, 2010

4. alchemy

alchemy

Look at Bob Drake's repro stainless molding for a '39 Ford. Maybe you could use a hood side molding? It has almost a half round profile, maybe slightly peaked.

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

yeah, except a 3' piece will cost you $50 :eek:

$10 a ft and $10 per finished end....

7. Look at the hood side trim on a 48-50 F-1.

8. 4woody

4woody

Those are some good suggestions- Thanks.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Cheap at half the price...By the time you find some that will work for you, have it polished ($12.00 per foot is the cheapest I've found) and get it trimmed to whatever length you need ($$$-welding stainless ain't cheap) and finding clips for it...buying it ready made is the way...!!! I have a small fortune wrapped up in my '55 Caddy...

R-

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I remember seeing an ad for lengths of stainless half-round for use as side trim. Might have been in the Goodguys Gazette, and it might have been Mr. Merritt as noted above. In any case, I can't seem to find the ad I saw. Anybody aware of any other source, particularly for material < 1/2" wide?

11. Biff.bailey

Biff.bailey

volvo amazon (121) side trim is around 3/4" wide, slightly peaked and available in fairly long, straight lengths (3 to 4 feet)

12. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I'd head to a good automotive swap meet...there are often guys with tons of vintage stainless trim, often of unknown origin, and you may be able to find an odd piece that is exactly what you are looking for.

13. Fidget

Fidget

EXACTLY!! Expensive as hell as I've found out, my NOS cruiser skirts didn't have any trim with them. They're 5' long, and finding any trim is either really really really expensive, or plastic stick on stuff. Finding it ready made would be a steal!

14. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

48 Ford sedan trim would be good. 1/2 round at least an inch wide. Easy to find and relatively cheap. I bought a rear quarter piece for $25 at BTT50's

15. I have some NOS cruiser skirt trim:)

16. I need some of this help too. I'm looking to recreate some factory style rear fender vertical accent trim pieces. The attached pic shows a bit of quarter panel, bit of left running board and front of the left rear fender of a white '34. My problem is this trim is only 3/8" wide. What I'm finding is suppliers that start at 1/2" wide or 3/4" wide and I definitely need 3/8". It is half round or slightly lower crown than half round. I'll figure out attachment if I can just find the 3/8" stainless or brass trim. Thanks!

Attached Files:

17. unkamort

unkamort

Using this for my grill center strip till something better comes along... looks OK, didn't really take much of a polish.

18. Joel W

Joel W

Your local Mack Truck dealer may have some too, I know my dad and a friend have gotten stainless pieces from them. They were used on some models down the center of the hood. You can buy the ends and straight lengths. I think they were used on B Series trucks.

19. sir

sir

try 60/66 c-10 lwb bed trim.....

Attached Files: