Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck Brake Drum?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigrickl74, May 16, 2010.

1. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

I cannot remove the rear brake hub off my 48 Plymouth coupe. The pin will not move. I have tried pb blaster and banging the crap out of it. Can somebody please give me some ideas to get it out?????????

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You have to have a puller for those old mopars.........

3. Look near the wheel mounting surface and see if there is a whole that you can thread a bolt into.

Scrap metal has probably given you the correct answer but some of cars from that era had a hole that you threaded a bolt into that pushed the drum off.

Your other option may be a slide hammer with a hook on it and work yourway around the drum. My experience is that you can do a whole lot more with a slide hammer than you can with a conventional hammer.

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

it takes a puller as scrapmetal said.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Learn from my mistake and do not attempt to remove that drum with anything else but the proper puller. you need a hub puller. I bought one from a cheapy flea market tool seller for about 50 bucks AFTER I warped my hard to find drum. check your local auto parts store to see if they rent tools if you don't want to buy one.

those suckers are stuck on there. this is what you need. bolt it on and bash it with a hammer. it will pop off all at once so leave the big nut on a few turns to keep it from falling off and bouncing off your foot

[​IMG]

6. Pin is what, just a cotter pin isn't it? Worst case a small punch should get it started and pull it out with pliers a little at a time.

7. Uh I misread. It doesn't say brake drum like I thought.

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

You need the correct puller whether you are pulling just the hub or hub and drum assy. That car has wheel bolts and a guide pin to line up the wheel to get the bolts started. The drum is riveted to the hub also. Loosen the big nut in the center a turn or 2 before using the puller. In extreme cases a oxy/acy torch may be needed.

9. ex tractor

ex tractor
    from tucson

Hey ratfink, any alternatives if the lugs are stripped?...I've tried the other style puller that wrap around behind the outer edges of the drum, but the teeth on this tool bent....

10. pdq67

pdq67

2-piece hub/axle w/ a riveted drum like an AMC has, right.

Cut the rivet heads off and then get a great big STRONG big truck type jaw gear puller and have at the hub.

Might even put a schosh of heat on it!

pdq67

11. Zerk

Zerk

If the brake adjuster is free, back it off as far as possible. Then loosen the axle nut a bit and attach the three-armed puller. Snug it up and give a few whacks with a hammer. It should pop off the tapered axle...but it's been on there a while, so who knows?

12. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Being that uses lug BOLTS just Heli-Coil the holes which in less you are replacing the hub you will need to do anyway.

13. InPrimer

InPrimer

Additional for what its worth, Stude rears have the same problem puller is needed

14. Cymro

Cymro

Do you mean the cotter pin (split pin) through the castellated nut? A little heat, soaking with penetrating oil, careful use of a pin punch use a fair size hammer an it should drift out.