Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why there are no parts around.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dolmetsch, May 14, 2010.

1. Larry T

Larry T

Let's see, I should tie more time up in them so they will be desirable enough for a hot rodder to give $5.00 a piece less than what Torchmann say a scrapper will give for them the way they are? To quote Al Borland "I don't think so, Tim." I've got a polishing wheel. I guess I could spend about an hour a piece on them and then maybe they'd bring the same as a scrapper will give. LOL

If I want to work that hard, I'll just work on my customers stuff. It pays a little more than .50/hr.

Or I can play with my own stuff, I think that's what I'll do right now.
    Larry T

2. Zeke

Zeke

Not to be an ass but..

Your ad kinda sucks, What the hell do they fit? $250 for the lot, so $15 a pop if I want them all. Are you willing to sell just the one's I'd be looking to buy? No shipping unless the buyer arranges it. Deal breaker right there. I'd pay for shipping but I have to set it up too?

3. Racewriter

Racewriter

Maybe guys like that don't have any car friends...

4. Larry T

Larry T

Zeke,
    You're not being an ass. I posted the ad on a whim, hoping that some "regional" swapmeeter might see the opportunity to make 5 or 10 bucks a wheel while they were at a swap meet. And $250.00 would have bought something I could use on one of my projects. And I've got a lot more Off Topic wheels sitting here too that I would have made a deal on.

I also figured if someone if someone saw something there they were interested in, they'd pm me. You're the second person that's asked if I'd part it out (or anything else).

As far a packing and shipping goes, I work on $50.00 flat rate hour at the shop. By the time I dig up boxes, pack stuff and carry it to UPS (the only shipper within 50 miles), I'm pretty much going in the hole on any 15.00 wheel I ship, even if the buyer pays the shipping cost. Kind of takes the fun out of doing this stuff.

The scrapper knows me and he knows I don't like selling stuff by the lb. He flat out told me that if he bought it, it was going to the crusher. He didn't have time to mess with trying to find someone who needs the parts. That's the reason the stuff is still here.

Larry T

5. I like to look in the metal bin at our local recycle center, that's where I found the 11:1 TRW pistons for the 301 small block I'm building next!!! No shit!

6. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

Thanks for scraping and throwing your parts away..

IT JUST MAKES MINE WORTH MORE MONEY.....YOU FOOL!!

7. 62rebel

62rebel

wellll...

i tried selling some stuff. posted it here, put it on CL...

then i posted the same parts for free.

then i stopped a guy loading scrap and gave the whole freaking lot to him.

nice roundbody ranchero tailgate, among other things...

and currently i'm selling a '59 Galaxie. running, driveable, 68 390....

might end up cut up for the FE and the 9".

8. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Wow! That's some expensive cat turds. :rolleyes:

9. case in Point, Stopped by my pals today who i do a lot of work with. I was squaring up our accounts to keep everything even. Sitting in front of me was an original 427 Fe 2X4 set up. Manifold and proper carbs (the ones with the tube for the balance hose between sec diaphragms. Nothing broke. All looked prettty good. My pal told me his customer is having him do the 427 Ford but didnt want to run the 2X4 set up so he bought a four barrel for it.( ???? but every one has their own ideas) nayway my pal had phoned to a guy he knows who is dong 427 FEs in 63 Galaxies etc. He came down and looked but wouldnt pay the price because the linkage was missing. The price was so low i almost bought it because i figured even i could make a buck at that price. I suspect the guy is hoping to lower the price but it is already real low. Anyway they are no longer for sale. Probably wind up in his basement till he dies then they will go to the scrap. (Under $200 was the asking price i am told) This is what i dont understand. I know this is a rare piece and it is even rarer since the car it came n is being restored and the owner knows these to be original. I think to myself. how many of these setups can be around? Not too many since the guy who builds these cars doesnt yet have one. Why would he not pick it up especially at this price? I simply do not understand . i guess i never will. I paid $500 US for the manifold on my max wedge , a nascar single four set up. I was happy to pay that and did not hesitate. I think this set up would be in the same catagory. i must have missed something.
    Don

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  10. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I'm sure you didn't buy it because you didn't need it, which is probably why the other guy didn't buy it. Some guys can't (won't or don't know how to) make linkage. I'm sure if it was $5 bucks somebody would have jumped on it, because only then would the PROS (cheap, profit can be made) outweigh the CONS (no linkage, mpg?, setup fee etc). But what if this guy told you he'd rather see it scrapped than give you an even hotter deal? You see, the example you just gave put you on the other side of the table at the "swap". You were the guy that had the oppurtunity to buy something cheap (enough) and didn't because you have no physical need at the time.

Does finding no one within earshot that has a need justify scrapping a piece of useable automobilia? I think not.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

turds didn't sell, they were chinese repops.

couple replies here people say they put an ad on craigs list, and one on here and no one bought it. guess you guys don't fish huh?

""had my pole in the water for 30 minutes and not one fish bit. must be no fish in this lake""

I've had cars in the auto trader for months at a time. I listed a bunch of 58 Chevy truck parts on C.L and here 10 times over the last year or so and still have some left over. if you want to sell something you have to make an effort.

listing something somewhere and selling it that weekend is a rare occurance

12. 62rebel

62rebel

my ads stayed on for the 45 days that CL runs them.

my ads here, are still here. i got tired of BTTT'ing them ever three days.

some of us have limited storage space, and what there is of it comes at a premium. if i had an enclosed trailer, and a pickup to pull it, and lived within 300 miles of a decent swap worth a damn, i might give up one of the few weekends i get to blow a tank of fuel and setup fees to sit in the sun/rain cold/wet and listen to people bad mouth my parts.....

but the curb was closer and a damn sight quieter.

apologies to the three HAMBers who i have given parts to.

13. Running stuff in the classifieds can be hit-and-miss depending on who needs what and if they look in the classifieds at the right time. I know if posted at the right, or wrong, time can get a thread push to the 2nd or sometimes 3rd page. I know when we've put stuff in the classifieds no one will respond to it for a few days. It all depends on the parts, price, and who's lookin. We've sold more to guys out west than anybody else, and we usually put stuff on during the east coast's lunch period or when they get off work...you know cause we figure then the entire span of US guys can see it if they check.

Local swaps are a nightmare. Last one we setup at, all we sold were some billet steering column drops...we had paid a buck each at a garage sale and marked them at 5 and 7 bucks cause we figured why ask more and keep something we won't ever use. That was all we sold. No more swaps. Going to them is fun. Buy what you want, if you can, and not only what you need. My experience is, "You need it, you just don't know it!".

As for space, can't help ya. While having no garage, the kitchen (upstairs...not really functional) and adjoining rooms are primary storage. Things were ALOT more cramped before our chihuahua got sick...and house payment...and utilities. Nobody hiring keeps our desired inventory down:(. Not being married keeps possible storage at a maximum.

Best advice? If you know how much you want for something, find someone who will pay it. Until you find them, listen to the offers you get.

Here are some kitchen pictures. Nothing for sale right now. But as always, it will be offered to the HAMB members FIRST if the time comes!

Attached Files:

14. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I blow out all my stuff like once a year. Hit the swapmeet and let it all fly. I sell it and I sell it cheap. I don't care. I am just happy to see it gone and see someone get what the need. My trouble is people say I'm too cheap. Its all stuff I don't need if I recoop any money Its good with me. Ii make like 2 grand or so and I go home to a clean shop.

15. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I would have to say if I had ugly 14" slotted mags laying around and no weenie car to put them on people would say there was something wrong with me.
    But if I did have them lying around the best bet is to find the guy restoring his grandmothers 4 door maverick

I don't think I ever said it here but if the lug nuts have washers and straight shanks I ain't working on them PITA somn' bucks

16. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Hey, The Dude...
    Cheap stuff makes people optimistic and they end up buying more and spending more. before they know it they are so happy about getting a grea deal...ya just sold them all your used oil and everything else you thought you'd have to toss. :)
    I go on craigslist loking for guys selling similar stuff and sww if they want more or stuff I want and try to swap.
    I picked up a 72 f100 4x4 frame from a scrapper for $100 and got a 9" rear axle, a spare front axle for my 4x4, a frame for a scat rod, 4 good steelie rims, and I sold the tranny and transfercase for $50 to a guy on CL selling bronco parts.
    I'm working on a jig to let me swap center and outer parts of rims to make my own backspacings and do stuff like put pontiac ralleye centers in the set of 15x8 chevy truck steelies I have.
    I'm also working on a bead breaker. last one I made used an old bumper jack and a leaf spring. It looked like T.
    You'd drive over the spring to hold it up in place while pushing the bead off the rim and the other end of the leaf spring had a bracket that would hold the rim in place.
    When I get enough truck frame I'll have parts for a welding table. everything (except 14" mag:)) are good for somethin

17. I've had stuff listed on eBay for so long I'm getting reminders in My eBay that "this listing has had no sales for over 16 months, please consider revising it" that the only way to clear out is to stop the automatic relisting and list it again manually. People either make no offer, or they don't read the note about contacting me before trying to buy and I never see the offers they try to make. That because I set them to auto-reject below a certain price so I don't have to deal with the assholes who make offers of like one dollar or $100 on a running car or whatnot.

I had one the other day tell me he'd scrap a car we have that's rough, but is a $4500-$5000 piece all day long. I told him to stick to spraybombing grandma's 75 Nova four-door flat black with red wheels and iron crosses, skulls and spider webs all over. People have wanted one of these so bad they've built them from scratch, for crying out loud.

But eBay gets a lot of the general public that doesn't have a clue looking at stuff, I've been trying to dump a late model minivan I got to flip and even that's been a pain in the ass... I say runs and drives excellent, I get someone asking about the transmission... didn't I say it runs and drives excellent? I can't even get $1000 under blue-book without assholes who bid and then whip out the old "death in the family" routine to lie their way out of the auction. And absolutely zero responses on CL, this last round. None. I had one guy look at it from the first CL ad and he didn't even want to pay what it will bring for scrap - and it's better than the one he drove up in.

I guess what it boils down to is if you guys who cry about stuff being scrapped, bought something once in a while, the stuff wouldn't get scrapped. You start giving a shit and maybe I will too. I actually had one asshole email up on eBay with the nerve to call me greedy for saying I would scrap a '58 Imperial hulk I have if no one's going to buy it, and that I should give it away for free to someone. Dumbass, if I give it away free the first guy who comes is going to be .... you got it, a scrap guy. But I'm greedy if I ask a high price, greedy if I ask a fair price, and greedy if I ask a scrap price. Okay, so I'm greedy. What the fuck does that make you that you won't pay what I want for what I'm selling?

18. metalix_421

metalix_421

just to add to it ive got a rearend and t tube out of my 50 fleetline if anyone needs one let me know iv had it on craigslist for about 2 months i cant just junk it i know someone could use it. it was hooked op behind a three speed. im in oklahoma cant really ship it but make me any offer and im sure you can have it if you need one and can pick it up

19. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

You know, I always have a free pile at the swap meets I go to....and it's usually a pretty substantial pile....I always mark what the part will fit and will tell folks the age (if I know it) and flaws ) if there is any....usually there isn't....most of the time its stock stuff that was changed out to aftermarket stuff and I still get the....uhhhh whats this fit? (read the tag) and the uhhhhh do you know if it will fit a rolls kinardly?

SHIT, ITS FREE.....if you want to know if it will fit friggen TAKE IT....

I had one dole head come back and take measurements on a near new clutch pack from a 70 camaro...it got removed for a full race super light version....notta damn thing wrong with it....each time he came back (total of three times) he would ask more questions....I would answer him....there was a big FREE in black magic marker on the pressure plate....the last time he came back he asked how much it was....I told him.....$50.....he whips out his wallet and asks.....will ya take $40?

uhhhh yeah I will.....dude paid me and walked off happy....wonder if he can read?

20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Mr Dolmetsch is well known in the Mopar circles for his books on extracting max horsepower without spending stupid money using his own proven theories and actual race history.He has spent years on the 1962-65 Mopar site answering questions people have asked.Thats called giving back to the hobby.So he tossed a few parts...so what.I'm reading this thread and thinking he has done more for the old car hobby than most of the posters will ever do.

21. Point made and point taken...guys are trying to make a buck selling parts but it is hard to do when there are no buyers or the only buyers are absolute morons.

Also, the economy being in the dumper plays a role in this whole mess as well.

I consider myself a pretty level headed guy and will pay a fair price when one is quoted. And I am grateful when something is given and I try to return a favor.

Now, what I don't get is there are a couple here that seem to get some sort of satisfaction in beating down the less informed (dare I say beating down the moron?) Why not just turn your back to the ungrateful and less informed? Then I ask myself who is the bigger dipshit in that sort of situation.

22. There are two sides to this story- the seller and the buyer.
    I was at a swap selling stuff today and can understand not wanting to cart the same stuff back and forth to a swap, but i find there isn't a day where you don't make any money- even with me buying stuff- swapmeets are sociable- you make friends find leads, sind stuff you don't need but desperatly want at the time- i think there great.
    I've got stuff that ive that in the buckets for 3 or 4 years - mostly carbs, people come py, sort throught them, normaly find the strombergs that where on the holden sixes and buy them. And coming from a buyers perspective wanting stuff for as cheap as possible, and i can understand needing to make a profit, but i don't understand some people- persons who won't sell something for a dollar but will chuck it in the tip at a loss. WTF

As wise men have said- "there is a bum for every seat", and "everything is for sale for a price and everything can be sold for a price".

Anyone some of the stuff that i've had for may years, i sold today, not all of the old stuff but a bit, which is always good.

23. 49coupe

49coupe

The first thing I checked when I started reading the tread was where the person posting was from. As soon as I saw Ontario, I understood. I'm at the end of my rope too. Unless what I have is valuable enough to ship, I'll probably scrap it, rather than deal with the cheap fucking "looki-loo" Ontario restorers. Unless you've tried selling stuff here, it's difficult to comprehend how these guys get anything done.

Case in point. I'm trying to get $300-350 for a 54K mile running, complete '49 Ford flathead six. It's painted, and everything on the motor is near new with less than 600 miles on it (clutch, pressure plate, water and fuel pumps, rebuilt carb, generator, starter, distributor, wires, etc., etc.) Now after spending $30 to advertise it in Old Autos, I have to deal with a guy who came to look at it with no cash driving a minivan, said he'd take it after I took him for a ride in the car and now can't be bothered to return my calls. The other very interested guy never has time to come by and look at it. This is going on three weeks now. By next weekend, I'll pull everything rebuilt off the motor, flog them on Ebay and call the scrap guy. He'll show up with a truck and cash on short notice. Finished!

For my nice rear axle, with new bearings and seals, new brake cylinders, shoes, flexible line, etc. I'll do the same thing rather than deal with more fucking yahoos over the next month who might give me $75 for it after spend the time advertising it and fielding countless phone calls, coordinating missed or late appointments.

Hey, at least I'm being environmentally friendly. They can buy the $15 Chinese toasters when the metal comes back to Canada

I've been trying to do the right thing and save stuff, but I just don't have the time to deal with people who can't make up their minds these days. It used to be, people would show up with cash and a means to get stuff home. How many times do you want to come look at a rear axle or radiator?. Show up with cash. If it's what I said it was, then either buy it or pass.

24. Abomination

Abomination

Well, offer the 318 Poly stuff to us on the Yahoo group before ya toss it, Don. Gary may buy a bunch, and the rest of us are always looking. :)

~Jason

25. I should just let this thread die, but it's buggin me the number of people who have said "I can't sell this stuff so it's going to the scrapper"

WTF?

The only reason this hobby exists is because people didn't scrap their stuff.
    They held onto their stuff, they realized that maybe the stuff wasn't worth anything to them, or not worth anything today, but down the road someone might just want it. There is plenty of stuff that is genuine garbage or rusted/broken/thrashed beyond repair, and I don't advocate hoarding for the sake of hoarding, but shit I get pissed off when something has survived in pretty good shape for 50 or 60 or 70 years, then someone just scraps it out of boredom (couldn't be bothered to sell it) or arrogance (it's mine to do what I want with) or greed (if I don't get XXX dollars for this it's getting melted down).

I read that when someone was recreating the Miller Golden Submarine, they looked up classified ads for Miller parts out of 50 year old car magazines and sure enough, some of the parts had never sold and were still stashed. Those old guys weren't in this for a quick buck, they were in it for a passion for cars and parts etc.

Before someone tells me to put my money where my mouth is, I have given away parts, engines and entire vehicles rather than scrapping them (and I'm sure as hell no rich guy). I want to see things get into the right hands, even if they're not my hands.

26. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

I have searched the classifieds here and sent out numerous pm's, only one person has gotten back to me about parts. I have been trying to get a gas tank from a guy in Arizona for two or three months now, all he needs to do is get me a shipping quote and the money is on the way, I keep calling him and he keeps telling me he's gonna do it in a couple more days... a couple more days... we're talking months here! Fuck, I want parts, have money, and will pay to ship, and I can't get guys to respond. Even when I say their price is good!

Anyone have a good gas tank for '49-'52 Mopar? PM me!

Last edited: May 17, 2010

27. If you can put the stuff in an eBay fixed price (Buy It Now or Best Offer) "good until cancelled" listing for 20 cents a month, and have room to just ignore it for a while, that's your best bet.

Doing that I sold a $10 gas pump that would otherwise have been scrapped, and I took a $100 deposit in November on one of my Pontiac 389s - I suppose after six months I can relist the thing, the guy doesn't answer any emails - but it seems to be the cheapest way to get national exposure for non-shippable stuff, I don't know why it wouldn't work in Canada too. I get some dumbasses, a guy used Buy It Now on one a couple weeks ago then told me to ship it - and out of the sale price at that - but I sent his money back and pretty much told him to pound sand. I get people who just want to buy parts from stuff, too, it's gotten so I have a reply I can just cut and paste to send to them.

But you want crazy we once had a guy show up with a U-haul truck and trailer, spend an hour walking around the car and finally admit it was exactly what we'd advertised it as - but still go home empty. It's like, jeeze, if you have the money to burn next time just send it to us and stay home. So even if they come with the money and means to bring it home is no guarantee they're going to buy.

28. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I am always trading stuff around or even giving it away if someone has a use for it and I don't need it. Just yesterday,I basically gave away a 1999 5.7 Vortech engine that we had taken out of a customer's Suburban because it had a burnt exhaust valve and he wanted a Jasper engine installed. I wasn't going to use it and I gave it to Danimal's son who was thrilled to get it. At the same time Dan and I had traded for a rear fender and a bed he had that will fit a 57 Chevy truck I am putting together. He ended up with a nice mig welder that I was not using as I had bought a bigger one with 100% duty cycle. I gave Kustombuilder bed sides from a 52 Chevy truck that needed some work and I had replaced them with bed sides that I bought from a guy in California. I tried to sell them on here and when they didn't sell for $150,I gave them to him so that at least someone could use them and even though I didn't make any money from them,they will still get used by someone who is into the hobby and a member here. To me,that is what this hobby is all about or at least part of it is. Just my .02