Register now to get rid of these ads!

Get ready, King Of Trucks is coming...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Oct 1, 2009.

1. hotdamn

hotdamn

torch, is that a burn out or is it cold as shit in that picture?

2. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

My friends were over and this was the first diesel fuel one wheelie wonder burnout. I still had the 235 and 3 on the tree in it. later it had a 350 olds.
    we set the tires with diesel and did burnouts for a couple hours...blacktopped the street in front of the house when Mom and Dad were out. boy they were pissed. Scotty had a 64 elcamino with a 327 and left 2 stripes a block and a half up the steet

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Apparantly not. :D Sorry I missed it.

I got some good stuff done in the last week though. I got the exhaust fixed up. It's run to the steps now. I need to get some stainless to polish up to run the rest by the bedsides and it'll be finished. It sounds so awesome now! It should only sound better as the exhaust gets longer.

I know it's kind of rattish, but i got some Mexican blankets hog ringed onto the seat. I could not stand to look at that ugly '70s car seat any longer. Get it straight though, it's just for now til real interior work begins. At least they're really made in Mexico and not China. It's more comfortable too, and as an added bonus, my wife's favorite color. Thanks Juan!

Some bad news, my buddy Shawn thought he heard a miss. Sure enough #2 plug was oil fouled. We also found out the vacuum advance isn't working. We put a new plug in it and played with the timing a little and it was a night and day difference in power. We're gonna leak down test it soon to figure out what's up with the oil fouled plug. I've had a little leak around the head since I've had the truck. It's less than 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles and oil pressure is way above 1/2 on the stock gauge when driving. Best case is a head gasket. Worst case is, well worse. Rings? Maybe full on rebuild? Either way, I'll end up with piece of mind. And maybe an even more killer engine in the case of a rebuild. The good news is I've got a lot of good friends who have a lot more good friends. This makes for great connections on anything auto related anybody would ever need. It's all about who you know! Thanks goodness for good friends!

I'll get some pics up in a little bit. Maybe a video of that sweet exhaust sound too.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I want to hear it. I'll cross my fingers for just a head gasket but in the slim chance you do have to rebuild it, just think about what fancy candy coated color you can paint that engine!

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

You really should hear it, it's more than awesome. Similar to Del's but a little less loud and a little less raucous. I'm keeping my fingers crossed too! But either way, it'll end up better. And I'm already dreaming of candy paint! :D

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

A fog job on some candy green paint would look might good on that inline. Hey are you going to Red Dirt Rising in Wilkesboro this weekend? I might head up there now that I am out of going to the Showdown.

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I keep coming back to green and gold in my mind. Doubt I'll make Wilkesboro.

I got some pics to share.

I got this in the mail today...
    [​IMG]

But I've got to fix this...
    [​IMG]

Here's a crappy pic of the exhaust...
    [​IMG]

Rattish seat covers, but still better than that 70s car vinyl shit...
    [​IMG]

And a buddy laid some lines on my tool box. Eventually, it'll be all the colors of the rainbow...
    [​IMG]

And finally, besides the hamb, this is my constant inspiration. WWTBD? (smoke some cigarettes and do some burn outs probably.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  8. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

[​IMG]

- Joe

9. Shawn M

Shawn M

Red Dirt Rising? Inquiring minds wanna know! You know I used to do a little dirt racin!

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Shawn, it's dirt track racing in Wilkesboro tomorrow. Starts at 12. Some of the boys are going, I don't think I'll make it though. Sounds like a bunch of fun. My buddy that runs Dixie Truckworks will be running a car in one of the classes, a '56 chevy. Get up with Boobie Ron if you want to go.Let me know if you need his number. Also, I found a good used vacuum advance today at Dixie. He gave it to me! :D If that one doesn't work, he's got a new one for $30.

Also check out this bit of tasty snack...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the carbs at Dixie as well. I'll probably wait to rebuild them til we know for sure what's going on with the engine (how much $). But at least I have a matching set of three now along with a triple intake. That's half the battle. The intake turns out to have 216 sized carb spacing (like the Carter W1s in the pics) and 235 intake ports. I didn't know when I bought it what the carb spacing was so I really lucked out there. I need to speak to Jermany and see if he can fix that mangled up bolt hole on the intake for me and then get to polishing that thang!

11. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Terd,

That's a sweet ass intake! Very Nice...

Sorry to hear about your engine troubles...

Until Next Time,

Robert M.

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Rob,

Thanks! No worries, it's not exactly engine "troubles" yet. I didn't even know it was missing, lol. It's not on the verge of blowing up (I hope :D). I'll find out more next week with a leak down test. Just keep your fingers crossed!

And your truck is looking awesome by the way. You're getting a lot done. Keep up the good work!

13. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I just said G'nawlfsh to myself when I saw it. Not even a real word but it is now, welcome to history in the making...
    when someone askes"what's G'nawlfsh mean" just show em the pic
    Cool. wish I had one back then.
    You have inspired another entry into my vocabulary.
    best made up word I've done was slunkin' for describing a lowrider

"Also check out this bit of tasty snack...

[​IMG]"

14. DingDang

DingDang

Replacing the vacuum advance and tweaking the timing made a huge difference in how my 235 was performing. Well that and cleaning out the vitamins and minerals from inside the gas tank.

Post a clip of that exhaust sound Terd

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

g'nawlfsh and awboggidy!

Will do later today!

16. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I got some 4" drop monoleaves for the rear. Thanks Dave! Waiting on some 2" drop shackles and the rear should be sewn up.

[​IMG]

As promised, I made a video of the exhaust. Sounds mostly like shit though. Sorry. I need to get one outside the truck. It sounds awesome in person. Feel free to embed it if you can. I'm too retarded.

http://www.youtube.com/user/imahugegiganticdork#p/a/u/0/NMqN_LvzSns

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Now we're talking!!! Good to see you stepping forward on the Lowering.

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Ha!!! That video is BITCHIN... Love it! I'm going to watch that a few times today for sure....

Mono leafs.... Way to go Terd!!!

All the best,

Robert M.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Have you thought about running some Wheel Covers? Or what about some Chrome Wheels? There were two 4.75 bolt patter wheels in the Classifieds for $350 yesterday.

I feel like when you get it lowered we are going to need to start talking about caps just to show the direction of the truck. I mean some flippers would be pretty rad!

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I've got 2 15x8" that are 4.75"X5 for the back if ya like? I ordered them thinking it was the right choice for my 8.90-15's but turns out the 7" rims were better for that. They are Chrome Smoothies from Wheel vintiques. Nice wheels!

I've got some titty caps, er I mean Bullet Caps coming for mine next week...

~Robert M.

21. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks Robert. It was kind of spur of the moment when I looked down and saw the camera in the seat. I'll get a better one up soon from outside the truck that'll portray the sound a little more true.

I'd love to have some chrome factory wheels, but alas, it's six lug (6x5.5) and likely to stay that way. I have been pondering caps lately. Still not sure what to do in that area. We'll have to talk it out between now and soon. :D

I appreciate it, but I'm still six lug and probably gonna keep it that way. I also want to keep skinny factory width type wheels. Thanks again!

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

WheelKid can probably chrome a set of stock wheels. When he did them for the HUSSY he got original centers and mounted them on new rims. That way I could order exactly the width and offset I needed. Some caps require a different offset to allow them to fit but if you're chroming that's not even a consideration. I think I paid $215 per wheel shipped....it took a couple months to get but they were awesome once they came.

23. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

My speedometer is stuck going a million just like yours. That sounds pretty good man.

Is the penguin sticker there to give us an idea of the size of your springs?
    (ha!) Can't wait to see it lowered!

- Joe

24. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Ah yes... 6 Lug... That throws my deal out! I have watched the VID like 4 times already.... I'm itching to go home and GET MINE DONE..... Damn... Frustrating...

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The wheels on the bucket roadster are super awesome. Talk about blang. They shine better than any I've seen. WheelKid is awesome! For now, I'll probably just end up painting them and running caps. But one day, they'll get chromed out.

Joe,

My needle broke so I got a new one. Right after putting it in, it climbed to 100mph and stayed there ever since, lol. I've got another complete gauge cluster I'll swap out one of these days. As I'm sure you know, they are such a pain in the ass to get in and out.

The penguin sticker was from my youngest daughter's homework, lol. For the record, it says "COOL".

You're jealous of me riding and I'm jealous of your tremendous progress, lol. :D Keep up the awesome work on yours! It helps keep me going!

26. DingDang

DingDang

Swwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeet! Can't wait to hear it outside.

27. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks DingDang!

For an update, I did an oil change and the compression check. On the dry test, it went like this...
    Cylinder #1: 140
    Cylinder #2: 110
    Cylinder #3: 140
    Cylinder #4: 135
    Cylinder #5: 135
    Cylinder #6: 135

The wet test showed Cylinder #2 rise to 120. So, that probably means worn rings in #2. I can still drive it (and have been). I've put 250 miles on it since last week when I changed the fouled plug. I pulled it tonight to do the compression check and it looked a little black but not oily. I get good oil pressure, don't burn much oil at all, doesn't smoke, and runs pretty f'in good. So it really needs a full rebuild sooner or later. Cause, if you're already in there for the rings, you might as well do it all. I've got good friends to help out, so I'm halfway there. Til then, I'll keep driving it. The bottom line is while it may be bad news, it's really good. I plan on keeping this truck forever. A fresh engine will last me a long time and it gives me a great excuse to do it like I really want.

I traced the oil leak (besides what ever is going into cylinder #2) on the side of the engine to the top of the side cover. I got a gasket and will put that on tomorrow along with the new (old) vacuum advance. I don't know if I posted, but I got a good, used factory vacuum advance. I'd much rather have a good, used factory piece than a new repop. 9 times out of 10, you're going to be better off with good, used/n.o.s. factory stuff. Take my word for it!

And I might be looking for a good deal on a rumpity cam for this thing (might as well while you're in there). Maybe one of you guys have one sitting in your garage you're not gonna use? If you want to sell it, holler.

And thanks Shawn for helping out under the hood! And thanks Delton For being you. And thanks Jeffy for the conversation, I appreciate very much your input!

Wow, that sounds gay.:D

Love,
    terd ferguson
    d.b.a. Johnny Rainbow

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  28. Shawn M

Shawn M

No problem Terd, I had a blast. I think I got in the bed last night about 2:30. Hell, it's 2:15 now. Two nights in a row! Wednesday nights are pretty cool now. And Del, Thanks, but I refuse to get publicly gay about it like Terd!

29. Terd, you got the truck soundin SWEET!! Diggin the vid and the 3 deuce setup...Also glad to see you are gettin busy on lowerin the truck, where are you getting the 2" drop shackles? My fronts are scrapin' pavement.....

For some inspiration I just finished installing the 4" drop axle from Sid and a 3" rear lowering kit...

Before...... at the IL CC party.....

[​IMG]

After.....

[​IMG]

Rob

30. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Love the new stance.