Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daves 48 Special, May 12, 2010.

1. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a paint that is not a candy color that looks the same as candy brandy wine ,i heard to paint candy it isnt for people that never panted candy ,you have to know what you are doing.

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Look at some of the late model colors. Some of the more exotic ones are 3 stage, rather than 2 stage. One of the big advantages with using a late model car color, is being able to match it later. Candy colors can be matched, but it takes a lot of talent to get it right. Stu

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

HOK makes Kandy Basecoats. The same "look" as their kandy colors in basecoat formula. They use pearls to make the color appear kandy like from different angles. The stuff still isn't foolproof by any means, but it does come easier than a real kandy.

4. skullhat

skullhat

agreed, that stuff is about as close as your gonna get, still need to know what you are doing to make it look good

the 3 stage factory colors mentioned are pretty nice as well, and some of the 3 stage solvent based colors come in water base as a 2 stage and are pretty easy to put on, for expeierinced painters.

never gonna beat the look of a real candy job though

skull

5. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

Thanks all im no experance painter if i have someone do the job im sure kandy will run into heavy some big dollars thanks again .

6. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i thought that candy was just a translucinte{sp?}color.what is the difference petween candy and paint?

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Candy is a translucent paint. That gives a certain effect. Most paint (base coat I think is what you are after) is opaque. You can thin out paint with clear and get a laquer type effect. The HOK candy base is pretty good but isn't quite as cool as real candy but pretty cool none the less.

8. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

whats the diff.between translucent and opaque?and im not trying to be funny.

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

translucent is see through, opaque is solid.

10. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I have heard of 2 stage paint systems, BC CC, what does a 3 stage paint system have that is different and is it better?:confused:

11. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

2 stage is basecoat color and clearcoat. 3 stage is a basecoat color, a mid color coat of usually pearl, and then the clearcoat. Stu

12. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 stage is candy. Usually a metallic basecoat, followed by a translucent tinted clear, followed by a clearcoat. Some of the new cars have tricoat systems=3 stage. The pearl white Cadillacs and Toyotas are 3 stage/tricoat.

Regular candy colors are done about the same way. The new basecoat technology makes them somewhat easier, but still it takes an experienced hand with the materials and the spraygun.

In the old days most candy colors were lacquer. Usually a silver or gold base color was sprayed, followed by tinted clear lacquer, then followed by clear lacquer. With all the coats of lacquer it could involve spraying 25 to 40 coats--maybe more! That's 25 to 40 times around the whole car. This was usually done over several days even weeks. With all that lacquer material, those jobs didn't last very long without cracking here in the northern border states with the temperature extremes.

Todays materials are more forgiving with urethane enamel type materials and hi solids clearcoats and it takes way less trips around the car.

overspray

13. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Thanks Stu D Baker and overspray, you guys are OK:)

14. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

x3 on house of kolor kbc. u can get kbc brandywine. use hok clear tho.. reason y. the paint is designed to bleed a little into the first coat of clear to make it appear more like a candy. to most normal people. they cant tell. go figure.

15. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

The clear does play hell with it!!!!! It looks wayyyyyy darker and the clear really affects it on certain colors.

16. Daves 48 Special

Daves 48 Special

I learned a lot today thanks all bottom line i need to leave the painting to the experts when it come to kandy colors ,
    Any one around the DFW (Texas) does kandy painting ...........

17. Jagman

Jagman

On the subject of new car paint, find a new black Ford Fusion and look at the paint in the sunlight - tons of beautiful turquoise flake in it - yet it looks black from a little ways away. Nicely done Ford! And it would be a killer alternative to the normal black you find on customs......