Register now to get rid of these ads!

any HAMBERS ever cut a body into?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indygasser, May 12, 2010.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Its been done to some extent or another, Plowboy did it on the Lunar Lander and Spacetruck, I did a narrowed comet back half for my truck Negative Matt did one for his truck, Scotty Backus and Steelsmith are doing something similar as well

2. ... dew knot no... wear? :D

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Seems like if you are asking how to do it, you might want to rethink the entire "...because I can..." part. If you're serious, check out Posie's narrowed Fleetline sedan. It was in Rod&Custom a while back. Interesting car.

Brian

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I'd really hate to see that car cut up and not finished.:(

5. 2-TONED

2-TONED

this 'isnt a restoration website. -- cut that coupe up man!

6. I'm glad you said it, all I could say was "into what?" :p

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

8. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

9. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Spell check can't fix stupid... and by the way, "were" is actually spelled "where".

Also, you mentioned you want to cut it because you "can"... rarely, if ever, does "because I can" equal " because it will look better".

You may want to step away from the tools AND the keyboard for a little while.

10. I'm even MORE puzzled now. I can't visualize what you're describing. Doghouse? I don't think any of us here can visualize what you're on about. How about a sketch? Or a pic of a similar car? Your description. so far, sounds hideous.

11. maniac

maniac

12. john walker

john walker

depends on the car. this imperial roadster is hot. from a recent hot rod mag.

Attached Files:

13. The only taste Posies has is in his mouth.

14. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

THAT is fuckin abortion!!! There is not one good line left on that car anymore and the proportions aren't even close to looking good. UGH!!!!

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  15. RichG

RichG

16. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

Ratrods are in, one off creations are for "one" only! One need becareful what you build, it may never sell to anyone else!

17. Kinky6

Kinky6

Look, if its a question of getting your saturday night date to sit a little closer to ya, may I suggest a shower and some underarm deoderant before you go by to pick her up? I mean, I'm just sayin' ..... :D

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

After reading a bunch of drivel by people that can't fathom your question, I can only say, don't argue with idiots.

To answer your question; Yes I have. I cut out 3.5 inches from the rear of the donor sedan body whilst assembling my King Cab pickup. I don't build cooke cutter, anybody can do that. :D
    Drove to store.....jpg

19. indygasser

indygasser

lol !!!!! Later

20. houston

houston

If your answer is because you can, why did you ask?:confused:

I guess you would do it like a motorcycle tank, find the exact center. Divide the amount you want out in half, add it to each side of the exact center. Break out the saw, cut on the correct mark. Bam the car falls apart. Slide it back together and weld. It would most likely be easier with the floor pan out and the trunk lid off.

21. I guess we're not even clear if you're going to cut it from front to back or side to side, I assumed you meant you were going to take a strip out of the middle.

The simple answer is take some good photos and either photoshop them or make up some color photocopes and cut and tape them back together if you're photoshop-challenged. Then post the results if you're not sure it looks like ass or not.

Some vehicles you can do that on no problem, but on a '40 Chevy coupe? Or are you planning this for some other vehicle?

22. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Old coach and coupe bodies used to be narrowed and placed on narrow frame for round track. Kind of like a sprint car with a body. In the south they were called Skeeter cars. If you look in Speedway they have some narrowed (fiberglass) bodies. Narrowed, chopped and channeled would work good out on the salt.

23. rustyhood

rustyhood

I agree with the photoshop idea.That gives you some idea of what it will look like and if you even like it. I chopped my panel 4'' and I took 10'' out of the length. I used a paint program to get the look I was thinking before I did my first cut. My 2C's

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

He asked if anybody has done it, he answered some idiot that asked "why"? His mistake was to reply to that bullshit. Got it? Of course you do...................

25. Yes people have - the only answer to your question.

But god, man, that doesn't mean you should :eek:

26. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

It could be cool to narrow it. make the window openings bigger build a cage in it and go for a '50s/60s dirt track modified look. .I've never cut a body in two but I've cut into a body.

27. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Ok now that made my day!!

28. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

i was thinking of doing this and using a willys glass clip on it .

29. Pieces????:D