Register now to get rid of these ads!

***read this before importing cars to australia***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Linez, May 7, 2010.

1. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

this is bullshit,i've got a 31 coupe on the water at the moment,
    basicly stock but without fenders and running 16'' wires and bigger
    rubber, what happens if in the opinion of some bureacratic egg head
    the car is too modified,send it back/crush it.
    i'm a worker and tax payer, not some big hotshot,i certainly couldn't
    afford the expense of pissing money up a against a tree.
    some how this just dosen't surpirise me this has happened, we aussies are slowly loosing our god given democratic rights and freedoms.

i'll back up and assist with whatever is planned to fight this neo communist governments decision.

keep the fires burning on this one,cheers,thommo.

2. I THINK you should be right.

If you check the Alert notice at:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...importing_vehicles/general/pre1989scheme.aspx

The second last paragraph clearly says your vehicle is eligable as a Restoration :D

Bloody restorers :rolleyes:

3. Hey Frank

I'm webmaster for ASRF, and have already shoved up an alert on the front page that links to this doc I knocked together explaining the situation:

http://www.asrf.org.au/docs/Import-Bulletin-001.pdf

Just mentally substitute the word Hot everytime you see Street, and it should work for you too :D

I am working on a longer doc that explains things in more detail and also on some proformas for emails/letters to members etc

I'm not convinced a petition or similar would do jackshit ......I've seen polies ignore petitions with 100,000 sigs on them before

4. "we aussies are slowly loosing our god given democratic rights and freedoms"

Mate, not to be rude these rights as you called them were not God given as you put it.

While the fat cat assholes sat back and watched/profited, toher people fought and DIED for the freedoms we supposedly enjoy now.

These bastards want to own us - to what degree wil depend upon what we do NOW.

Rat

5. a- freakin'- men.

6. Mark, I understand what you are saying.

But to me this is not just about HOT rods, STREET rods, muscle cars, race cars, classics, restored cars, museum pieces or tricyles.

This is about these clowns' constant, incessant and ever increasing meddling in people's lives and the changes they are making to allow these changes to happen. Of course, these changes ususally come with some punitive enforcement (read fine/revenue raising attached to them).

As regular Hambers will note/read on here, our hot rodding mates Stateside and in Europe aren't exempt from the same bullshit mentality of the last decade and it is becoming worse and worse, more pervasive, goal posts are being moved, hoops are being made more diffuclt to jump through.

At what point do we say enough is enough?

On the flip side I am noticing that more and more people are beginning to realise that something is not right and are beginning to get fed up being constantly told how to live and why.

Sure politicians may ignore a petition but by the same token we will not be voiceless either. Every little but will help.

Mark, pls put up a link to these proformas/contacts so we may all access them and forward them FAST. The LOUDER the better. Lets forward them to EVERY GEARHEAD WE KNOW AND URGE THEM TO FILL IT IN AND SEND IT TO THE RELEVANT MINISTER. GET YOUR NON HOT ROD FRIENDS TO SEND THEM ONE TOO.

This is NOT Govt for the people - what it amounts to is a joke and I fear really masks the real agenda.

Rat

7. They're tellin us that a '50 or a '34 is a '89. And so, in ink this bullshit has become ABSOLUTE.

Contact Federal Independent Nick Xenephon.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  8. you guys make me proud to be an Australian....stick it up em

9. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

OK, here's a couple of questions for y'all, what happens if, say a Kiwi, wants to bring a car in for Wintersun or racing at the dry lakes etc, with all intentions of taking the car home again? Would that be allowable?
    And what would happen if some nice rich Aussie offers the right cash to purchase said car?
    You guys had it tough to start with, now you've got this shit to deal with, good luck.
    Scotty.

10. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

rat,the god given bit was just a figure of speech,my father and grandfather both fought to defend and protect the democracy we live under and cherrish.
    just a little steamed up over another attack on our lifestyle.

11. Thats ok champ I wasnt trying to be a smartarse...I think we are all PISSED at this crap. Spoggie re Nick Xenophon - does that mean we gotta deal with another Greek haha lmao !!

Rat

12. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

N.Z Rodder
    I would imagine its the same as it was before , if your visiting you dont pay duties etc but the car has to leave again. You can sell it but it still has to go out and be re imported with approval, the "approval" bit is the bit thats changed.
    Roger

13. opaque

opaque

This is utter bullshit, the last thing that should be on my mind when importing a car is "I hope it gets in, its got reverse wheels!" *gasp horror*. My mate up north got defected in his daily by the Strikeforce Taipan because it had a "loose sub-woofer".

I think genuine australian car enthusiasts have sat back too long while the media continually labelled anyone with something other than a cookie-cutter puss box a "hoon", so much so that the out-of-touch pollies thought the best way to get some votes is to target all of us hoons in every way possible.

Guess K-Rudd wasn't as in touch with the people as he tried to make himself out to be....:mad:

14. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

yes your right but its well past time to be a paid up member of some group to fight the press and pollies. Its the press that stirs up trouble then the pollies do the knee jurk thing so they look good to the public who actually beleive the press reports. You can only win by force of numbers with good representation The loose doof doof thing probably isnt a good idea to have loose in the car they hurt when they hit you in the back of the head :)

15. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Doc can move to Japan.....they have bugger-all rules there.....and even less enforcement.

For hot rod / rat rod rego.....you just take the thing to the local police, and they give you plates.

It would be interesting to see the figures on cars imported to Aus per annum in the 80s, 90s, 00s, & now.

15 years ago there were probably a few importers in Melbourne, now there are dozens/hundreds.....

...while the biggest club at most recent shows is "Paypalz CC"

I hope this shit does get sorted soon.

But for people knocked back AFTER getting written approval, thats shit!

16. mattfink

mattfink

Why should it matter?? You import a modified car it gets passed by the engineer, you register it! i Guess the only thing is that they can't inspect the car as a rolling chassis but maybe they should just put more extensive checks for already completed vehicles!

17. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Thats a good point Mark makes saying theres ALOT more importers around these days, whether it makes any difference I dunno.

If I can help in anyway feel free to send me a PM guys, not importing anything but would have liked to one day! :(

18. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Hi guys, a lot has been said and I am not necessarily totally informed, but I strongly suggest that any one importing any vehicle or parts read the legislation and regulations carefully, from my interpretation, the act has always had these restrictions, except now they have redefined to, for them, better focus on any modified interests.
    I strongly suggest all or any company, sole trader etc that imports any cars and parts as defined by the act, form a lobby group, because your livelihood will depend on whether or not the G men continue with this impost

My thoughts about auto manufacturers encouraging this action might be right, lets hope the GFC, ETS, and the PIIGS crisis finishes soon.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

19. mattfink

mattfink

n.z. rodder made a good point on the previous page, what if you have no intention of registering the car??

20. fat141

fat141

ASRF HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB SETTING OUT THE FACTS CLEARLY. EASY TO READ FOR THE DUMMIES (like me)
    This shit affects all motoring enthusiasts.
    Rod

21. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

I can,t beleive the crap you guys are dealing with.
    The only way to win is to get together as a large group then maybe you will have some power.
    The ASRF needs to get together with the street machine guys etc etc.
    I,m glad I no longer live there!

22. KiwiKitz

KiwiKitz

Dear God!! I feel so sorry for you guys.
    The thought of any old piece of art going to the crusher chills me.
    Or the extra cost you'll spend on storage and shipping takes money off your build.
    Any chance of sending them to to friends across the ditch?
    My heart goes out to you all.

23. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Do you mean instead of sending them back to America we could send them somewhere closer like NZ? Thats an idea, probably cheaper...

24. Steve, the country is in n way the same as when you left it.

Over policed, over egultaed, over political correctness, over zealous, and OVER IT !!

ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO CARS, ROAD LAWS, "SPEEDING", and you would not believe the amount of shit that gets rammed down peoples throast DAILY about this shit.

Sometimes I wish I was somwhere else too.

Rat

25. Hi guys i have been off the radar a bit so i'll let you know whats been happening soon. You know how it is work, cars, kids, women and now politics! Time for bed - ryan ford over and out

26. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

"Under the law, a Used Import Plate cannot be fitted to a vehicle that has been damaged beyond specified limits, even if it has been repaired. This is because the damage may affect the structural safety of the vehicle. A damaged used imported vehicle which enters Australia must be exported or destroyed - it cannot be dismantled for parts."

It would be funny for you to sue your Government under NAFTA for allowing an "unsafe" vehicle to be sold elsewhere. besides, whats wrong with parts???

Better yet what if an Aussie sued Australia for a "safe" inspected and approved locally manufactured vehicle that caused damage or injury from failure while being compliant.
    Why do I say that?
    Here In Nebraska we had the vehicle safety and emission inspection, nowhere near as asinine but still a pain. Someone had gotten into an accident from a brake failure the very day they got their inspection certifying the car as "safe" by a state appointed shop.
    They sued the state and the shop for a large sum and won. The auto aftermarket and car dealers and enthusiasts got together and launched a public awareness campaign making the point that the inspections did not prevent accidents and were a waste of money and were too much liability on the state and the shops.
    Some of the shops were refusing to inspect as per the liability and the legislators HAD to do something. they eliminated the whole inspection program and we have not had it since.

"If the vehicle is used, you may be able to have it imported under the Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme (RAWS)...Only approved workshops can apply to import RAWS vehicles and only approved workshops can carry out the work to make the vehicles comply with the ADRs."

????
    This sounds like Corruption.
    I wonder if investigation would show Australian manufacturers having provided campaign funds to the legislators who wrote this or what if the Australian manufacturers actually wrote the code and the legislation rubber stamped it in?
    Used Cars are an international business, Could someone sue under NAFTA or such treaty? Is Australia signatory to NAFTA?
    You should have the right to build whatever it is legal to own and use, build with your own hands.
    legality should be based on technical aspects not politics and marketing.

One thing is certain. bureaucrats like corporations are very organized and regimented. The weakness in this is that they are not prepared for an attack on policy from an unforeseen or unrelated angle and are unprepared for such. If you can't win your battle you can help out someone else and let it be known why you helped... take what they (the bureaucrats) want away from them from a different angle so they hear you next time.
    If a logical fight gains no traction fight illogically. be like an amoeba always pushing out in every direction looking for a weakness then exploit in that area. constant pressure.

I'm not always a good boy...
    stupid quotes from me...
    I was told once something was a privilege and my response to the officer was...
    "Respectfully Sir that's my right, it's not a privilege...Enjoying your rights without being messed with appears to be the privilege"

"I only broke the law, whats the big deal? just write me the ticket... You said that as if you thought legal and illegal were the same as right and wrong"

"I might end up going to jail but it's gonna be that other officer that takes me in".

"jail... it has to be bad enough you don't want to go and decent enough you will go"

"They can't arrest all of us woo-hoo!!! "

dumb dumb dumb...

27. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Criss-cross I help you... you help me, throw Momma from the train :)

How about forming C.A.B.B.
    Citizens Against Being Buggered

rights are things you stand on that you have to take, you can give them up but....
    If you need to ask for someone to give them to you, they aren't rights. You got 4 square feet of sovereign territory beneath your feet at all times everywhere you go and two hands. No-one can stop you from doing anything they can only punish you if they don't like it and if everyone stands together they can't even do that.

The police are really your best friend. They are the ones who have the power to go to the top and say "this is a crock of dung and the good people will not abide by it and we will not or cannot enforce it"

28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Do you think a lot of this can't happen in the good ole USA?

29. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

It can happen anywhere there are humans