Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Jim Street Golden Sahara?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dooley, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

There was some talk awhile ago about a possible restoration regarding the Golden sahara, and someone else posted about having seen the Kookie car.

Anyone form Dayton or surrounding area heard seen anything?

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Rumors and rumors of rumors. How does that quote go? That guy will have to die before we see either. That is his power over us, and he loves it.

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I agree and my intrest is in the cars not bashing him at all.

If you do a search there have been some hints from people about both, and I was wondering if there was ant new developments.

4. Von Franco

Von Franco

It ain't ever gonna happen in our life time...........................

5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

That's too bad....
    mauybe we can get Geraldo Rivera ala Al Cpaones lost vault to go undercover.

How about this.
    Anyone on here actually seen one or the other in the past 20 years?

6. john milner32

john milner32
    BANNED
    from ohio

7. Pause here for the drama to build.

8. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

which one and when?

9. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Anyone and everyone from this area who remembers what those cars were, has heard stories and rumors of them making it back to the show scene. Unfortunately that's all they are, stories and rumors. You here stories of them being beyond repair, or that so-and-so has seen them up close and they aren't THAT bad but nothing credible as of yet.

Maybe they will come back. I've heard Mr. Street is a jerk, but that's only from people who've met him.:eek:;)

I just know that if I see them at a show and I walk up to thank him for bringing them out and how great they are, and he's a jerk to me, I'll just go ahead and wake up outta that dream and be on with my day!:D

10. Von Franco

Von Franco

Like I said before. A PICK. of both cars as there are today not 20 years ago is worth
    A FREE PIECE OF ART FROME ME. NOW lets see where this goes .....................

11. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Now THAT is tasty. I wish I could get to em to take a picture...no longer to see the cars, but to get some authentic Von Franco art.:)

That's the truth. I feel like not a whole lot of folks remember the cars and the longer they stay tucked away, the more people forget. The GS was mind-blowing and would be a valuable show-piece because of how innovative it was. Now, I'm sure they are a pair of real defunct relics...though deep inside I hope not.

Whatever, though. They're his (Mr. Street) and he can do what he wants. I just hope when they emerge, there is still someone, somewhere who cares. I just want some Official Von Franco swag. True story here, while cruising the highway in WV one Sunday, there was a guy having a yard sale on the side of the road. What do I buy for 5 bucks? The Von Franco edition purple 32 and Franken-Mug Hot Wheels still in the shrinkwrap. Blew my mind...there are literally pieces of my mind all over some West Virginia Highway.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  12. It's a shame that some guys care more about POWER,than history! How could you own cars like that and NOT want to share them,regardless of the condition!!!!

13. Von Franco

Von Franco

ZomBrain great story man , PM me your address and I have something for ya...........

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

There are pics here on the HAMB somewhere, but the current conditon of the Kookie car is reputed to be the twin blower dual slick dual headlight version of the later 60's.
    The paint was changed after he purchased it from Norm.
    It is believed that most of the original parts are still around and that it could be brought back to the kookie look easily but Mr. Street believes that it looks best the way it does now and if restored it would be in that incarnation.

16. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ok, I'm not real fimiliar with any of this. This Mr Street character has two original cars the Golden Sahara and Norm's original Kookie T and has them tucked away and won't let anyone see them? How old is this fellow and what city/state does he live??

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Can you imagine what a display it would be if Mr. Street pulled the cars out and displayed them just as they are. Maybe with the removed Kookie Kar parts laying around it. Okay just dreaming. But if he wanted a little recognition in his old age that is the way to get it.

19. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Steel Rebel, I'd be all for that display.

Denise, yes Mr. Jim Street of Dayton, Ohio who had purchased the Kookie T and made it his own (which is his right, no matter the consequence) and had the Golden Sahara II built still owns the cars and keeps them under wraps....as legend goes.

What the Kookie T turned into...again, as legend goes:(. Not an abortion. Just not what it was.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  20. 41woodie

41woodie

Everyone gets to have their own taste but for me the best thing to add to the Kookie Car, as it currently looks, would be a large, heavy tarp.

21. Mr. Street toured the two cars all over the US in the sixties. The kookie T was in it's second restyle and wasn't too bad. The Golden Sahara was awesome to me at the time.
    I saw the cars twice, once in my home town of Clearwater, Florida and once in Anniston Alabama when I was in the army.
    Mr. Street really had gaudy taste and put his stamp on both cars. Golden Sahara was on "I got a secret" TV show in the sixties and in the movie Cinderfella with Jerry Lewis. Then the cars disappeared and all we have is the memories and some old photos.
    I think he would let the younger crowd see the cars even in poor condition. What a draw it would be for a car show to feature the cars.
    Do it for charity and for hotrod history.
    I would think a whole bunch more of Mr. Street if he shared the legacy of his cars.

I have to add that the guy was an electronic genius for his time, if he did all the remote control stuff.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
    LGW13 likes this.
  22. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

He also had the Jack Stewart Ayala built 41 Ford coupe. He bought it from Stewart, and brought it back east where it was hit by a train. It's the gold one that recently went through the "Icons" auction. I think he also bought the Kopper Kart from Barris and brought that east to be cut up not long after. Good thing he keeps the other 2 in the garage....:)

23. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I'ver heard that the Kopper Kart ended up somewhere else and the story of him chopping it up in not correct. i think it was reported in a book that is was chopped but found later not to be the case.

LGW13 likes this.
  24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was there, how come I don't remember a gold '41 Ford??
    I know I'm getting old, but I didn't think I was that old.....yet:eek:

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine......

26. Plowboy

Plowboy

I am probably going to be like Jim Street someday.

27. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

28. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

The gold 41 Ford used to be owned by Bob Drake in Fortville, Indiana. He bought it wrecked and rebuilt it. It wasn't one of the best. I'll see if I can find a picture later.

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, thanks so much for sharing that. I had no clue about the car. Seems like he was real proud of the car at the time. Wonder what happened to turn him so bitter about continuing to share it with the public?

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The Bob Drake here on the HAMB that passed away??