Register now to get rid of these ads!

***read this before importing cars to australia***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Linez, May 7, 2010.

1. Geeze mate, its ironic we live in the same 5000 person town and can't comunicate without a US based web forum ain't it :D

2. It does make you wonder what the motivation driving all this is.... Somethings not right. What is the bigger picture?

Also as Sixfive hit on something these morons are forgetting, the all important tax dollars they'll soon be missing out on. Guess we'll pay for it some other way huh. Arseholes!

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

crikey I was talking to you at work today:confused:

4. woops .....maybe it's me with the communications issue :D

5. We have a pretty good idea on their motivation, but thats not a conversation for a public forum :cool:

pm sent :D

6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

should I ask for a PM now or wait till I get to work? :(

7. 63Compact

63Compact

You Sir are an ill informed Dumb Arse. Please take your negativity back to OZ Rodders. Thank you.

8. That was restrained Jase :D

9. Government ignorance, buffoonery, and sheer stupidity know no boundaries.

10. HAHAHAHA....nice one man !!

OK now that I have calmed down, most of what has been stated is pretty much on the button re this situation.

One of the things that I feel may have triggered this issue (at first anyway) could be the issue that Cali guys had with cars being registered as original with another title. Remember Boyd and others getting hauled over the coals by the Feds for this? Seems that they were chasing lost revenue (as always) and have given a lot of gearheads over there an amnesty to declare the truth about a lot of cars over there. Perhaps some CA hot rodders could clarify what is happening over there re this atm....

I've got a sneaking suspicion the DMV knows that a lot of these cars head Down Under and our Federal equivalent has been chatting to your DMV. Repro 1932 Fords were coming over and being registered as originals when they were in fact replicas or not the real deal. Over here if the car is not a modded original, it has to comply with current Aust Design Rules, EPA, crash, noise etc ...... As you can see for the average hot rodder, this is to be avoided at all costs.

Each state has its own evaluation/registration/inspection engineers to ensure the mods are safe for road use and comply with regs in that State. NOTHING to do with the Feds OR Customs.

But the info our Feds got must have been " a lot of these 32's are NOT the real deal with real titles"....BAM...red flag goes up.

After that it snowballs to include all modded cars.....totally stupid and not enacted law. And to expand this to include race cars, museum pieces and cars that will never see the road is a f***ing joke. So much for Democratic process? Who do they think this stupidity will really affect? And, what about this "free trade" agreement with the US that's supposed to be of benefit to both countries?

Laughable really.

Halfdone, I know two guys that are also being affected by this debacle - is it OK If I pass your details over to them?

Ryan, PM me if I can help.

Rat

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I wonder if anyone has tried to bring a car - be it without a motor and 'box - citing it as being imported for spares or for wrecking.

Stock - well yes, so it should be allowed in. A lot of guys have built businesses doing this exact thing.

Has anyone considered other factors/reasons for the regulations to be strictly enforced?

Has there been any P.O.S. "rat rods" imported, and then allowed Street Rod rego in an unmodified form??? Some of the engineering of these cars leave the public at risk, as the mechanical basis of the cars is just so dangerous. Is there a guarantee that these vehicles have not been "re-birthed" illegally???

Unless the vehicle has a well documented history, I guess the Government Official has the discretion to call the vehicle as he/she sees it.

I don't agree with our rights to buy what we want, despite where it is, being severely restricted. I'm just thowing up some reasons for the change of policy.

12. The new import rules are only one of many new rules that Canberra are now enforcing...I've got a pallet of parts that have been stuck in a container for the last 2 weeks because of a little known rule that some clown with a little bit of power wants to enforce and if he gets his way it will mean that any purchase thats in someone else's container will have an extra $500 added to it and you will have to have a seperate booking for Quaratine.
    The container my pallet of parts is in has cars and parts for 12 other people and Canberra is saying that it needs a booking with Quaratine for each persons parts or car.
    A Quaratine booking is for 1hr and I think if I was paying $300 I would make sure he was standing there for the whole 1hr even if it was to look at 4 brand new wheels.
    So this 1 container could take 12 hrs to be cleared instead of the usual 1hr.
    I'm predicting a lot of angry and frustrated people, especially if the containers can't be cleared quickly.

13. Binga....tell me its not about the MOOLAH ???

This Govt, just like others has losta $shitload od ca$h b/c of the GFC - how else are they gonna get it back?

Off your back and mine.

Lolife bastards....

Rat

14. Rat I wish I could.

I'm so pissed off with the whole beuracratic bullshit that both Federal and State Goverments have been spewing forth over the last couple of years.

If i was a single man I would be out of here.
    Australia was supposed to be the lucky country........It's now the most frustrating over regulated nanny state I can think of..

And I agree Lolife Bastards

15. Labold

Labold

Just had a '67 Firebird picked up last night being shipped to Autstralia. Hope it makes it, and glad I was paid up front.
    The guy I sold it too wasn't even worried about the condition of my car, he is more worried about getting it in general...

16. diamondwillo

diamondwillo
    from Melbourne

For all those intending on importing, the paperwork you need is as follows:
    - Photo evidence of the car in its modified state prior to '89
    - receipts of works done, or when parts were purchased.
    - your payment receipt.
    - clear title.

I've just purchased a '31 Coupe, which is an original 60s - 70s style coupe. After doing some reading and speaking to a guy at Infrastructure apparently all you need to be able to do is "prove" that the mods were made before '89. With either photo evidence, receipts of works done etc. I then spoke to the guy I bought my car off and he was, mortified by it all, and is thankfully helping me out by doctoring up some receipts and photos all dated in the 70s.

The other alternative as Ryan pointed out is to ship the car in parts (ie: engine out).

I'll keep you up to date as my import progresses.

Willo

17. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

This aint politics because I neither support nor offend any candidate or government...

I see some differences related to the style of government.
    In the US they tried to regulate driving and the supreme court struck down the laws as unconstitutional as per your constitutional private property rights and rights to travel pointing in the future to a right to operate a motor vehicle.
    How they were able to legislate constitutional regulation was by making it illegal to operate on public property without a license.
    A license is official permission to engage in an illegal activity, a privilege.
    They were never able to apply the legislation to operation on private property because operating is still a right, just not on public property.
    There's a contradiction in there because the supreme court has also ruled it unconstitutional to make something illegal just so it can be regulated.
    The EPA and DOT safety rules apply to importation and licensed manufacture. It is still a constitutional personal right to manufacture a vehicle just not a commercial right due to the commerce clause so commercial manufacture is regulated. i think a manufacturer's license is issued through the state not the federal govt. here but the standards are drawn up by the fed and handed down to the states to impose at the state level under fear of losing their federal highway funds if they don't institute them.
    That's one way how governance you are not lawfully subject to gains real power over you.
    the difference between here and in the rest of the world is that our constitution lays out what the fed and state must do or may only do. Powers and rights not given to the fed are reserved to the states and then those remaining powers not given the states in the state constitutions are reserved to the individual Americans themselves.
    If the fed fails to carry out it's appointed duty, It reverts to the States and if the States fail then it reverts to Individual Americans.
    That's our 10th Amendment. It prevents the Fed from delegating authority, it must revert. same for the states. they cannot delegate authority to the fed we have not given the state. they both may not pass power to extra governmental entities. All power is exercised as proscribed or it reverts.

I'm laying this out because their are major differences in our relationship with our leaders.
    It is quite possible that Non Governmental Organizations have asked for things to go a certain way and that Governors can and do take liberties beyond their color of authority in both our counties.
    Here what activist regulators do is impose restrictions beyond the law and if they are not fought they later become formalized in new legislation. It is a creeping thing I like to call law encroachment not to be confused with proper law enforcement.
    I'm not a lawyer, I'm a political wannabe.
    When people say you have to follow the rules and say you can't just make up your own rules...

I always say, "Why not? There are always going to be rules, Someone has to make them why not make them for yourself? If you don't do it someone else will".
    Society doesn't care who makes the rules as much as it cares about law and order.
    Make up some rules everyone can be happy with or most everyone and push, push push, never relent. You don't have to win by overpowering. You can win by your enemy just giving up and doing something else. Figure out how to get people against you on your side by getting on their side of the table first. That's how Wally Parks won em over.

We used to have a thing here in this country that if a law was bad and the people just refused to abide by it the law enforcement would go to the legislators and tell them "the people say this is a load of bunk and will not abide by it and we refuse to enforce it" and the legislators would be faced with being irrelevant or having to rewrite or kill the legislation. They have to justify their existence too.

Hope that gives you some hope Mate

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  18. Gareth

Gareth
    from San Diego

A word of caution on this. I've got some parts coming in with a well known Melbourne based shipper who's been doing this for 30 years. Speaking to him last week he said customs were also going to focus on split shipments. So if splitting things up is the only way to get it through than you may need to go as far as shipping to different people or wait untill parts have cleared here before sending the rest. Sounds ludicrous but considering everything else that is happening and who told me I tend to believe it.

19. Absolutely ....more the merrier :rolleyes:

Nope it's not about titles ....so lets not talk about that OK

We are kind of just caught in the crossfire on bigger issues, but it is a real problem for our lifestyle.

20. SixFive

SixFive

Ok, here's an example..

Say i find a model A coupe on ebay that has been modified recently- maybe a chop, small block and IFS, but its cheap so i want to buy it and import it into Australia with the intention of rebuilding it to suit my tastes. Can't have it?

But i can import a stock Model A and then chop on it as much as i want once it's off the boat and in my shop? Thats ok??

If the problem was with poorly built cars being registered, SR plates or full reg, then that would be and issue for the regulatory bodies/engineers etc.
    That shouldn't stop them being brought into the country.

21. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

We've just had a case here in NZ where customs impounded OT '56 F100 because it had a digital speedo that didn't reflect the true original mileage of the vehicle!!!! Apparently took some pretty fast talking to stop it from going to the crusher.
    Scotty.

22. It is crazy, with not an element of common sense, from all the 'informed' sources I have it would appear that you can't have anything if it's been modified, and that includes completely stock cars with nothing more than a rim/tyre change.....even if I bought a 33 3 window that had no other mod than a engine change from a 21 stud to an 8Ba, I would have to proove that it was changed prior to 1989, and even then I would be forced to have multiple examples illustrating such. Similarly, if I had any extra parts in car they would have to be declared, and applied to have been imported, and then taxed/charged accordingly as previously highlighted by Binga.

This is severely WRONG, and an injustice to all.

23. opaque

opaque

Jesus what a great time to just splash money on a car! I paid all the money for this T-Bird from another hamber last week, everything is standard except for the new paint, redone seats and reverse wheels. Judging for what I've read this won't be allowed in the country due to the new nanny laws?

[​IMG]

24. Ryan,

We need a web page that ALL HOTRODDERS IN AUS can access, comment on the rule changes and sing off on and in particular STIPULATE that wel WILL vote these pinheads OUT at the next election.

One was created in NSW re a projected law the made ANY suspension mods ie: raising/lowering a vehicle ILLEGAL.

They did a huge backflip when these webpage with THOUSANDS of comments/sigs from Australia wide was put to the Opposition Member who tabled it in a Parliamentary sitting.

Can anyone help locally with such a page?

This is going to affect THOUSANDS of people in the industry, and the ramifications for Hot Rodders/Hot Rodding in this country will be vast and I'm afraid too difficult to change if we sit by and do nothing.

Apart from the fact that these assholes think they can just fuck with people's lives/hobbies/livelihoods at the stroke of a pen while redeeming a shitload of ca$h fro themselves.

ENOUGH.

Ryan, pls PM me.

Rat

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Surely credibility to a governement is worth alot whether it be percieved or real, but being able to import a car in on a friday and then have basically the same car presented on a monday and it is rejected is outrageous.

A cut off point is fine if defined, but especially since cars are stockpiled ready to ship and other logistical considerations involved just to drop the hammer is not acceptable.

I am sure there are a few guys out there who wont be voting for them again.

I got to say my last contact with DOTAR felt wrong and it seemed something was on.

Id say from recently visiting one shippers yard in LA only 2 weeks ago there will be a heap of vehicle affected so it is going to hurt if it sticks.

To be precise just about every vechicle could be found to have some sort of modification done to it at some time or another.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  26. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Too right Rat!

We need to get a thread of te sort you mentioned on every Aussie Forum possible and get behind a Polly who will back us up just like the bloke who did the sigs/petition for the 4wdriving laws.

I think to myself and realise that in 5 years when it's time for me to build my Hot Rod how the hell am I gunna do it......

This is just bull crap!

We need to do something using the strength of our hobby/passion.

Keep us informed.

HC.

27. FIL

FIL

The actual wording states something along the lines that if the car is modified such that it's classification changes... eg, a stocker 32 modified to the point that you could call it a hot rod / street rod...

If they go by their own wording, then paint and wheels isn't a problem... even late model engine swaps shouldn't be a concern... Of course, when pen pushers read the same paperwork too many times, they often read in things that aren't there... The only thing in writing in any of the bulletins published by DOTARS actually says:

It would appear, based so far on reports from forums like this one and OzRodders, that they have extended the 'when the vehicle is complete' to also mean that if you take the car off the road to chop the roof, then it's no longer complete and the date is reset to whenever the chop is completed...

28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Bump for more exposure!!!

29. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

That is some awesome first class public action right there, That's something to be proud of and look up to from anywhere in the world!

30. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger