Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint that looks like bare metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gravelpete, May 9, 2010.

1. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

Hi, I am looking to paint my 34 ford truck so that it resembles bare metal if that is possible? I was wondering if anyboby has done this or anybody knows a color that looks simular to bare metal? Possibly a certian silver with a semi gloss clear? Thanks for any help.

2. paintguy

paintguy

ppg has a product called liquid metal that looks close as long as you clear it with a satin clear(btw- You might want to do an intro before the HAMB police get you)

3. gtkane

gtkane

Hmmm...I'll have to look into this "liquid metal"...

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

"Liquid Metal" people tend to look for John Conner.:)

5. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

hollywood hot rods entry at this years gnrs had something similar. Painted by dept of customs- anaheim ca

Attached Files:

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Several years ago I was looking at a Street Rodder mag. There was coverage of a show where they had small pics of all the cars at the show and there was a picture of a '32 full fendered pickup that they descibed as painted in 'Bare Steel'. It looked like bare metal. Now I have to go thru all my Street Rodder mags...thanks a lot...:rolleyes:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Not sure how feasible it would be but perhaps some type of clear over the bare metal might work? Otherwise I would check out some of the above mentioned suggestions. I had some Bright polished copper hardware for my kitchen (in progress) clear powder coated and it kept the bright shine of the copper really well.
    Jimmy
    -

8. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I don't know this for sure, but I THINK that the ppg liquid metal is really pricey-about $100 per PINT:eek:

Somebody more educated on ppg could probably help a bit

Dan

9. Deuces

Deuces

100 bucks fer a pint is insane....

lodaddyo likes this.
  10. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  11. *Kendall*

*Kendall*
    from chicago

for a 100 bucks a pint ....leave it bare metal and buy a box of WD-40

12. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

ive wondered about this too, cant you just sand the paint off and shoot come clear?

13. *Kendall*

*Kendall*
    from chicago

yeah you can clear bare metal but gotta be carefull and make sure u clean it very good and scuff it up in one direction so it looks uniform

14. Sorry for the non HAMB friendly car but I think they use the PPG stuff.
    I suppose they can afford it though!

The picture shows the colour well.

[​IMG]

15. *Kendall*

*Kendall*
    from chicago

alsa corp. makes a chrome paint i've seen and it looks more like bare metal than chrome but kinda pricey also

16. You're not an eskimo are you?

I've got a fridge I'd like to sell you....

Painting it to look like it's not painted? I can't see a much more useless exercise.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  17. Yeah, alsa makes some stuff called ghost chrome which u shoot over a grey base because its very transparent. House of kolor also makes it in a different name.Havnt used theres yet. I truly hate alsa paint..... Everything from base to pinstriping paint and more have been very transparent and dont cover well. It might work out well in this situation.Maybe others have had better results but, Ive wasted a bit on it and now it just sits while I use my house of kolor instead. And yes its a bit expensive and looks kinda like metal. Hope this helps at all.

18. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Paint it silver (Krylon ?) then scuff it up with a scotch brite pad. I saw a couple cars done this way at last years Goodguys run at Pocono Speedway. Sounds fucked up but it worked! Try a sample piece first! Good luck!

19. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Man has the answer :p

20. Diavolo

Diavolo

The sheer number of people here who just want to flap their lips and don't provide anything useful astounds me. I guess it keeps the topic on the first page and bumps the post number up a bit...

This is a close proximity. ~$100 for a kit with all the goodies.
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RSP+AE2103-KIT-M

I agree with the comment of shooting, scuffing and coating it with clear. If it were me, the key would be to get the finest flake metallic, shoot it, scuff it (if I wanted a scuffed look, I'd rather get the color of metal right and just clear) and clear coat it. Since I would rather have the metal color than the metal look (I don't like fake finishes) I would just go single stage metallic in the shade of metal I wanted. Titanium is kinda halfway between steel and aluminum, from what the color chart showed me anyway.

Work with the local paint shop and take a piece of steel that looks like you want the color to be and get them to let you take the color book out in the sunlight and get a pint to practice the effect you want on some scrap.

21. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

simple. shoot it black. color sanded and buffed. shoot anyone ones brand aluminum style effect paint or chrome style.... alsa, hok, ppg, xotic, metal flake and others (pretty much come from the same place)

22. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I've used HOK's Kosmic Krome pretty simple process really.You can sand your black base to give it a brushed look before you spray the chrome paint over.Or even an engine turned pattern

Attached Files:

23. I think VHT or eastwood has restoration paints "cast blast" & alum blast looks like blasted cast iron or blasted alum, I would paint it with translucent sliver/grey and then clear it.

24. Wilson Perf.

Wilson Perf.

I think clearing is the best way to go. Shoot all the motorcycle manufacturers in the world have been clearing bare metal from day one almost. If you keep the thing clean and reasonably dry when not in use, i.e. garaged, then you should be fine for a long time. But like one guy said prepping the surface is the big factor to any "paint" clear or otherwise.

Regards,
    Bill Wilson
    Lee's Summit, MO
    'The Turnover T'

25. How about metal that looks like paint? You just sand until you like it.

26. 85-percent

85-percent

alsacorp.com

I recieved an email yesterday. They are having a 50% off sale for the month of May, probably on "selected items".

Which is nice. The only people that can afford their nice product are heads of Wall Street Brokerage Houses!

-90% Jimmy

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

big difference between steel and aluminum. and most of the manufacturers it's aluminum, hell I can't think of one that has done steel.

28. JWall32

JWall32

29. thaugen

thaugen

That Formula 1 car is probably coated in Spectrachrome. I asked on a racing site and they gave me a press release about it.

30. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Watched an episode of "Overhaulin" where they were doing a 1965 Mustang coupe. Chip Foose did it in green with brushed steel racing stripes. He sprayed silver for the stripes, than took a scotchbrite pad to the stripes before clear coat. Came out really cool. Here's a picture of it.

[​IMG]