Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods May Bang-Er thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weeks46, May 1, 2010.

1. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Any one have any info on this engine? Did Ford put bangers in trucks in 40 41 ?
    Bill

[​IMG] Ford 4 Banger for your Modified Roadster !!
    <hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message --> Here i have a Very Cool & a Bit Different 4 Banger for an Early Roadster Build !

Its a FACTORY Ford 1941 Pick Up 4 Banger, Was an Option in Trucks in '40-'41

Has all the parts to bolt in EXACTALLY where a Flathead V8 would live.

They have Full Pressure Oiling, Adjustable Lifters ( same as V8 ), Factory Plate to bolt a V8 Trans on, Factory Front cover with V8 mounting Points.

I got it from a guy who pulled it in Favor of a Small Block Ford.

Would be Super Cool in a Banger Powered Roadster or Track T or ???

$600.00 & you Pick it Up.

I have pics ... Contact Rick at 805-746-9011 or [email protected]

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I believe it's the 9N tractor engine. It was the successor to the V8/60.

-Dave

3. They did, rare as hell. I've never seen one in person

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

thanks guys if he sends me some pics I will post them. Any one know the HP

5. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Yesterday I posted Roof's five main crank for T's this is one of the other three main types that were made. This one is quite beefy and is also counterbalanced.

The size of the mains listed on this shaft are 1 1/2" but some others were also made with 1 5/8" mains which is about the largest you can get in a T.

Attached Files:

6. kookee

kookee

That's great! Definately not the easy road to take.

How is yours coming along?

7. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

It is a 9n tractor engine modified for use in 1941/42 commercial vehicles and as industrial engines to some later date. The engine was also known as the half Merc. HP was 40. The original commercial vehicles being heavier had a 4.54 rear gearset.

If it has GP-6050 head it has a higher compression ratio than a stock engine. GP prefix was used in 1941 for the Jeeps made for Military Jeep trials for the Government contract which was awarded to Willis. Ford made slightly over 5000, most were sent to General Chenault (Flying Tigers) in China. Ford GP Jeeps are very rare due to limited production and where most were used.

I have one set in a model A frame, hope to set a brass T speedster body on it. Mine has a GP head and cam. No serial number.

8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was hoping it would have a improve intake to help with making more power.
    here are the pics some one might wont to play with it.
    later Bill

9. rockman29

rockman29

Below are some photos of the progress we made yesterday installing the motor and trans in my 31 roadster.

I bought the car last February from a father/son who had pulled it from a storage container in long island NY. As the story goes, it had been sitting +/- 30 years in the container at a salvage yard. The father son had bought it to restore but decided to sell last year. I bought it with the intent on getting it mechanically sound enough to drive for the summer (2009). New brakes, rebuilt rear axle, steering, ignition, wiring, etc. etc. This all took longer than hoped but by early September we were ready to make some shake down runs. The motor had shown good compression in the drive, idled and yard ran well, but started pissing oil out the rear on the first drive when we were really able to put a load on it. Like most projects, plans changed.

Around the first of this year a friend of mine found in NH the motor you see in the pictures. The motor had been built in the fifties as a hot banger motor, lost a piston, and slid under a work bench. The motor had pressurized mains, larger exhaust and intake valves, porting, hot cam, super winfield head, wico mag. The engine was gone thru this winter/spring with new pistons, adjustable lifters, the crank counter balanced, lightened flywheel, modified the oil pump and added the intake and carbs.

Yesterday we put the two together. The trans is a rebuilt 39 and we used the clings adapter kit. We also used the front and rear floater motor kits. All of these kits are good quality and aside from us working thru our own learning curve with these kits, the install went together pretty smooth.

The aluminum timing cover and finned valve door cover are our castings and for sale if anyone's interested. The plan is to drive the car this summer with this motor while I finish my B motor and my friend finishes a lakes modified to put this motor in.

Attached Files:

Dannerr likes this.
  10. Fro

Fro
    from Joplin Mo.

That is awesome, looks like a part B, part v8 kind of deal, I like the dist off of the end of the cam idea, looks like it used the early v8 flywheel too.

11. GARY?

GARY?

Rockman, that motor and tranny look great !!

Like Roger Miller once sang "New England swings"

12. rockman29

rockman29

Thanks, we hope to test fire next week. Can't wait to hear this thing run!

13. Fro

Fro
    from Joplin Mo.

BCCHOPIT, if you get the chance to see the bottom end please post some pics.

14. ebtm3

ebtm3

Bcchopit wrote-
    Hey Herb... have you ever posted pics of your 32 bakes on a model A. If not could you:D

Bill-

I could take pictures, but there isn't anything different except that the '32 drums are an inch larger, are cast iron, and the face that the wheel bolts to is spoked.
    The conversion is as simple as taking the A hub/drum and backing plate off, and replacing them with the '32 parts. Only other part that needs to be changed is the push rod that goes through the kingpin- it is 1/2" longer on a '32, but if you don't have them it is a very easy piece to make, being a straight rod with rounded ends- copy the A, and make one longer. Looks completely stock, unless you know to look at how much the drum extends past the wheel hub because of the larger diameter.
    No changes of linkage, adapters, or anything outside the brake assembly. About as easy as changes come. I believe that the '33-'34 brakes are the same, changing when Ford went to cables in place of rods to work the brakes.

The car in my avatar has 14" mechanicals from a Ford AA truck on the front--quite a bit more work, involving narrowing the drums and machining new hubs. Did this 25 years ago, before Flat Head Ted came out with his floaters. Now I wouldn't go to all the trouble.

BTW- The best lining for mechanical brakes is "Green Gripper Woven"-- the guys with antiques, and two wheel brakes, have been using it for about 10 years. Lots of friction, works equally well with cast iron or steel drums and won't score the drum. Non asbestos.
    Best stuff that I have found in 56 years of working with mechanical brakes.

No connection, other than a VERY satisfied customer You can Google for a source near you

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Herb is right, the Green Gripper lining works excellent. I have used it quite a bit on many different cars here at my shop and recommend it, here is a photo of what it looks like.

I use it on a lot of really fast and powerful early road and racing cars and now with this lining you can actually stop them.

Attached Files:

16. noboD

noboD

Fro, I can tell you how strong they are. Both of my brothers and I learned to drive an 8N with this engine and all three of abused it. It still runs like the first time any of us pulled a wheelstand. Tested tough!! You should try adjusting the points with the front mounted distributor. The '50 to '52 version had a side mount, which would fit this engine I believe. I have a mag from an industrial engine here for a future poject.

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks... ebtm3 and T-head
    I have some 36 front ends but the linkage looks to be a pain it the ass to make work. I will have to look for some 32 brake parts that should be real cheep... where do you guys get the green liner stock. I should make some up for the A brakes until I find some 12" brakes
    Bill

18. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Any plans to do the valve cover for B engines?

Cris

19. Hey guys I am gonna be in Ventura working all next week want me to buy it??????????????????????????????????????????????????? It also appears to be a hamber actually who has it, that I know lmfao. Small world.-Weeks

20. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Hey fro you live closer to the guy selling the banger then me:D I think you should buy it an take lots of pics of your build

21. I like it another yeller engine lol. Looks great amigo.-Weeks

22. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466896&highlight=banger

He makes one I got to see his stuff at a swap meet in mass last mouth the covers look real nice. I picked up a fuel pump cover for my B

he is working on a real nice side mount mag off the cam gear cover
    I hope he shows you guys soon

23. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

You should be able to get Green Gripper through any good truck brake shop, they should also be able to rivet it on for you. It is not cheap but it is worth its cost.

I am from Terryville not far from where you are in Torrington. I left CT. and moved north 35 years ago, so I don't know where to send you in that area anymore but you should be able to find some and I think it would work good on an A.

24. When I needed some 32 brake parts last year I put an advertisement on the HAMB classifieds and had several replies. Most were reasonable. If you use the 32 axle and brakes you need the spring perches or you will have to make extenders and if you go all 32 on the front you will need the 32 brake operating levers as they locate differently on the kingpins. I didn't try the "A" kingpins in the 32 spindles, that might be a fix for the difference between 32 and "A" kingpins. I also put the 32 rears on, pain in the ass! 32 rear radius bars attach to the axle housing so you must cut the backing plates to clear for the "A" rods.

Just remember, I can't tell you a lot of what to do but I can tell what not to do!

25. rockman29

rockman29

Thanks for the kind words BCCHOPIT. We have both A and B side covers available along with the original style timing cover, water neck block off and fuel pump block off. We are finishing a pattern for a finned timing cover which will be sold with a cam thrust bolt installed. Attached is a picture of the pattern, we hope to have a test casting done this week and the first run done in a couple of weeks. As BCCHOPIT mentioned, we also have a mag side drive pattern in the works. Send me a PM if anyone is interested and I can let you know more details. We will be set up at Mansfield on Saturday if anyone wants to stop by and check out the parts.

We've been working since last year to produce these parts, along with gathering the equipment and fixtures to install poured babbitt bearings, drill and counter balance crank shafts, modify blocks for pressurization, etc. which has been our main focus. The roadster had taken a back seat, so getting a motor in it for this summer is big milestone :D.

Attached Files:

26. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

SORRY....:eek: small world I work in Terryville. I can rivet them I just cant think of a truck brake shop

27. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Hey Rockman, I like the parts you have been developing. Do you have a website? I'd like to check out the smooth timing cover you have.

-Scott

28. rockman29

rockman29

No website yet. I'll PM you some photos tonight.

29. trad27

trad27

Thanks for all the info on brakes but upon further inspection it is missing the cross shaft and every thing else. I have a set of F1 brakes so I think I will just get some spindles and run another line to the front. I am in the prosses of getting the head resurfaced now. It was leaking water and smoking from the exhast, after that and getting it all legal it should be a good runner.

30. Fro

Fro
    from Joplin Mo.

I guess I am allot closer than you are, the price doesnt sound to bad, but still a little far away, wonder if he would deliver it to the hamb drags this year. HHHMMMM.