Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Shop Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Great build info, the truck is going to be great!

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Round Two on the brake lines! Ah much better... So Started fresh with a grip of new tubing from the parts house and tore back into it. Proud to report that the front section is all good and just needs the feeder line back to the prop valve. I will think about this tonight but won't build it until the AM. No work tomorrow so lots should get done!

I don't have much to offer for bending brake lines as I'm really a tard when it gets down to it but I did manage to get these looking pretty nice. I had a few of these neato little clips left over from a project way back so I thought I would use them to secure the lines in a few key spots.

I do have a little trick for these... I am a huge fan of metric bolts and screws as they always seem to have great thread pitch and are easier than some Std Threads to tap etc.... So I'm using M4 flat heads here and I'm drilling at #29 vs. the called for #30. Yeah my thread percentage goes down but these are really non critical fasteners and I damn sure don't want to break a tap.....

I first hold the little bugger in place and transfer punch the hole. Then use a true center drill on the fastest speed the drill can go. This helps to really get the hole on the center you want. Many times are drills like to walk away from us and then haul ass thru the metal without us knowing they really moved. Major bummer when you go to finally bolt shit up and its not where you really wanted it...

After the center drill just zoom the hole with the chosen bit and then tap. Nice and easy so you don't break it off. Nothing worse than breaking a tap in my book.

And then we tighten up the nifty little screw and the whole thing looks kinda pro.

Here's a few pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  3. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's a few more shots of the overall line set in the front.. I think this will be OK... Shit, what the hell am I talking about! Its just some stupid brake lines... Anyways. I will tie into the prop valve in the AM and then run to the rear.

More news in the AM.

Robert M.

Attached Files:

4. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

You will like that CB4. Those old Edelbrocks are really nice. The passages were bigger on the old style intake (I've got a couple :cool:)

Here's a link for vintage Edelbrock intakes
    http://www.victorylibrary.com/mopar/edel.htm

Your CB4
    [​IMG]

5. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I can't wait to bead blast it and get it all dialed in! It will be great on this little Chevy!

6. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

OK...

I got lots of little shit done today but nothing really major. The entire front end is ready and the tires are back on. The guy who turned the rotors kinda screwed up and didn't make sure the cones were seated before putting them on the machine. Really important on Chevy rotors as they tend to have lots of shit right behind the races that can register the cones different than intended. So word to the wise.... Be sure the machine shop knows their shit.

Well anyways... I dealt with that and fixed shit accordingly. The rotors went on and all the final things were checked, greased, cotter pined, etc....

Then on went the tires.

The rear end needed a little work here and there and I had to actually grind a bunch of old Brazing out where the black smith torched thru the housing and then fill it back up with the MIG. I should have opened the whole thing up and made a patch but I think this will be OK..... I just don't want the weld region to crack when I clamp the whole thing up. I will listen carefully!!!

So beyond that I managed to tidy up the front brake lines and tie them into the Prop Valve. I also started the line to the back. I need to run the rear end lines and then finish connecting up to the prop for the rear circuit.

I worked my ass off all day and bounced around a bunch so I don't feel like much got done but I know some did.... I do know that my Wife made awesome Enchilada's and I made a Fuck'n Smoke'n batch of Margarita's....

More news tomorrow....

Robert M.

Attached Files:

7. LabRat

LabRat

Maate .... It's not everyday that you get exposed to somebody with your dedication and attention to detail , you have compiled an excellent thread .... You should enter it in tech week ... " How to build a freakin whole car. " :D

Seriously though , thankyou for the tips an tricks ...

8. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Fuck Yeah!!! Thanks dude... Lets wait until this heap is done.... I'm trying like hell to knock it out.... I promise much more shit in the next few weeks....

Cheers,

Robert M.

9. Sweet build! Thanks for sharing you knowledge!

10. riceman

riceman

Robbie, send some of that MAX energy over here ! Poor kid is working his butt off ! Good Stuff and I can't wait till your start your Fueler.

11. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Roger,

His energy is intoxicating!!! I can hear him right now down the hall in our Bedroom giving Mom Hell! Trying to get her outta Bed.... Love it!

I too cannot wait to start the Fuel Car. Thanks for the heads up on the Wheels BTW.... I'm watching but I'm not sure what to bid... My upper and lower hoops should be back from the Bender next week? I haven't really focused on the Dragster as I have been a bit consumed from this little deal. But I do have another round of phone calls to make for more data. Need to call Tim again as well as Frank Fedak. They were rounding up lots of info for me.

More news soon,

Robbie

12. riceman

riceman

Getting those wheels are a major part of the car. I have seen them go for $2500.00. Bid low till you are the highest bidder and snipe them late if you want them bad enough or place a bid high.

13. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Very true Roger... I'm thinking hard about them....

How Sweet will it be to have this sitting in Front of the Push Bumper on this truck????

[​IMG]

Hmmmm......

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  14. riceman

riceman

One of the Badass FED ! Doug Kruse made the body on the Beebe Bros & Sixt Fueler. He made the one on the original Brissette Bomb Woody too. If you are going to the CHRR, bring your truck, I need a Push Start truck ! That is if you don't have your Fueler done.

15. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier on this....

The body is going to be left alone at this point in time... First off, I can't find my ass with 2 hands when it comes to body work. The truck needs the typical lower door area redone as well as some holes filled and what not. But otherwise it's OK. Minor floor repair as well. I am going to put a 57 hood on it cuz I just love those bullets on top but I haven't procured one yet. Soon.

I am planning to drive it down to the paint house and have the guy make me a color that is somewhat right with my faded paint. I'm OK with some primer spots here and there but I would prefer the hood not be entirely Primer. I will post a few good cab shots probably next week when I tear into the inside portion of things.

If I can get the same feel of that "FRANKE" truck in both stance and patina'ed look then I'm Golden.

Until Next Time,

Robert M.

17. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Last was a big night!!!!

I opened the box of new lifters to only find something worse than what I sent back.....

Total Shit....

I start looking them all as I pulling them out of the box and notice one with a tiny little blemish..... Hmmm, What's this???? Lets take a quick picture... Then investigate. Big Chunk flys right off as I move my finger nail up against the side. NEAT....

OK Boys, So here's my thought. If you choose to build your own motor these days, please look at every single part and piece before it goes together... These stupid $85.00 lifters would have more than likely taken out the lobe on the CAM and then allowed all of that ground up metal to pump thru my brand new engine. That would have cost me a shit load of time.... And Money.... Aftermarket parts are not what they used to be..... Or at least CompCams is lacking right now. I will never use their shit again.

So After that I quit and drank wine and chilled with my Wife.... I ordered a set of Crower Lifters instead and they will arrive on Monday. So I will need to stay busy with other items until then.

Take a look at the pics!

Robert M.

Attached Files:

18. riceman

riceman

This will get your blood pressure up too ! Photo by Forrest Bond from the Stash

Attached Files:

19. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Roger,

Thats a great shot.... Thanks for that!

Yes it does get the blood going for sure.... In a much better fashion I might add then the Lifter Fiasco I have just gone thru.

~Robbie

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Roger,

Thats a great shot.... Thanks for that!

Yes it does get the blood going for sure.... In a much better fashion I might add then the Lifter Fiasco I have just gone thru.

~Robbie

21. Wow, the truck is looking great now. Good luck I hope you make your deadline!

22. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Scrape'n and cleaning tonight!

The wife is working late so I'm on Dad duty tonight. Max did his thing and tore up he yard while I worked on cleaning up the third member and started in on the Brake Drums. He will go to sleep here soon and I hopefully will head back out and get this stuff primed. I need to change the front Pinion Seal which will be a bitch but I think it will be fairly smooth. Tomorrow this should be painted and all installed. The rear axles were picked up today and they are all ready with new bearings. Hopefully this will get tires by tomorrow night... It's not gonna happen tonight...

Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

The bummer deal is that I want to be down at South City with my buds drink'n beer tonight.... Oh well... The work must go on!!!

Here's Mikey's arrival after freezing his balls off on the San Mateo Bridge!

[​IMG]

24. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

OK... So thanks to the help of the HAMB my worries are behind me with regards to the Pinion Seal change out.... That was a bitch BTW. Separate thread for it because I needed help.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473033

I'm putting that behind me for now... I might get a separate 3rd member at some point and get it totally refreshed just incase this ones shits out but I think I'm OK.

The first half of today has been spent painting and putting all of this shit back in the rear end. I just bolted the axles up tight and need to bang out the brakes this evening. Then maybe some more brake line work??? Not sure...

Here's a few updates for the time being:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. riceman

riceman

Did you use "New Cast" color paint on the third member ? Very nice color combination. CLEAN !

26. Chuck R

Chuck R

Say hi to Mikey. I see he is on the phone He must be checking in with the "Boss". That guy can build hot rods.
    chuck

27. springer99

springer99

Sorry to hi jack yr thread but a guy here in my home town makes em for y blocks !!!

28. 21tat

21tat

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Roger,

Yeah it's a high temp paint from Dupli-Color. As Cast or Cast-Iron something like that. I just dig the color and the paint is pretty durable stuff. I used this to paint the boiler on my last Locomotive. Super Good Stuff. I also bought the same paint but in Ford Red to paint the engine block.

30. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Slow go this weekend.... But progress was still made! I just need to finish up the rear brakes tonight and then the wheel and tires can go on back there. I am making the rear drum brakes act as self adjusters vs the original version so I have to make damn sure I get all the parts in there correctly... When you don't do this every day these brakes can be a bit taxing on the mind... So I just called it on Saturday evening and figured I would get back on it today. I did manage to extract the old "new" wiring harness out of the truck.

Take a look......
    [​IMG]

Right... Well folks that's the back side of the ignition switch. and I think something went really wrong at some point. Bet this smelled neat inside the cab!!! The new harness should arrive today or tomorrow.

Max and I loaded up early Sunday morning and drove out to this cool dude Larry's place to fetch up our '57 hood. Such a great deal because it was Mom's day and by getting the little one outta the house Erin could sleep in for hours and we could still eek out some progress on the truck! This guys Larry cooks us a full Pancake breakfast and then shows us all his loot! What a place! THen I give him my 2 old '56 hoods and he loads up our new '57. I just love these damn hoods!!!! The bullets are just what the doctor ordered.

Here it is!
    [​IMG]