Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine paint- WOW!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GMC BUBBA, May 8, 2010.

1. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Being kinda disgruntled with the engine paint offerings on the market over the years, i seen that someone once upon a time offered a additive for enamel to use on engines . ( I think it was Eastwood a few years back)
    So for the last few years this is what we use on engines and it is awesum!!!

I buy one shot sign paint and blend up a mix. In this case we are after chevrolet orange. For the chey color i use one can of one shot orange and a half can of red blended in. Add a cap full of gloss enhancer, hardner and fish eye and thin about 50/50 with one shot reducer.
    Add one rebuilt chevrolet hot rod engine , cleaned and wiped off and wow !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lindross hosing it on the engine, talk about coverage !! Look like you could swim in it !!!!!!:eek::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My only draw back is the one shot has gotten costly !!! But so has the good engine paint ( if theres any good stuff out there..:confused::D

I will add some more pics afterthis is installed and running with chevy script covers,grant flamethrower and green roadster body ......

2. metal man

metal man

Looks good . My dad did the same thing , different color . Seems to have worked very well .I just use regular old Centari acrylic enamel and that holds up well too .
    Nice job , but where's his respirator?:D

3. Wow thats orange. That could be seen from space.

4. I was just looking for Caddy Blue and couldn't find any, Had to use dark ford blue.

5. Orange you glad it was a chevy motor they was paintin????

Sorry........

6. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Safety Nazi!:p

Looks great thanks for the tip!

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

thanks for the tip. is that at the old shop?

9. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Yes , i still have a storage unit over there ( too much stuff :D)

10. dyman

dyman

i saw a cherry picker like that in kentucky once

11. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I just got done painting a big block Chevy with Eastwood engine enamel and it looks great. I have been really disappointed with the spray bomb stuff on the last two engines I painted and so far the Eastwood looks great. It costs around $25 a quart but I think I should be able to paint at least 1 or two more engines out of the can. I have only run it about 30 minutes so far but it is holding up well.

12. I tend to paint the engine the same color as the body or chassis. As long as it is prepped right, regular straight enamel works great. Just takes a long time to dry and is getting harder to find.

13. I saw the first picture and thought that was going to take a long time to bursh a complete engine with a 00 Mack brush.

Looks good.

14. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

It's the great outdoors....

15. Never2low

Never2low

Anybody use the stuff from POR? I saw it in the brochure, was wondering if anyone has expirience, good or bad?

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I used the Chevy orange engine paint from Bill Hirsch for an OT restoration and I was pleasantly surprised. I too was used to the cheap spray bombs that never covered the sharp edges. What a difference in coverage.

17. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Hey you forgot to tape off the chrome valve covers!

18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Safety third, I allways say.
    Thats so ORANGE it hurts.

19. Looks good, but did you at least stuff some rags in the exhaust ports? The paint is probably nice & thick in there!:D

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!:p

21. Deuces

Deuces

That orange paint was so bright, I had to put my shades on to view it.. :cool: :D

22. I read the One Shot tip way back in the 80s in SRM. Sure works well! I have also had great luck with the Epoxy Appliance paint although you colors are limited. Yes, the engine in the 54 is 70s Olive!

23. chad

chad

I have had no problem with urethane.....it holds up good

24. 65 impala

65 impala

no need for respirator its outside lol looks nice and shiny

25. GaryM

GaryM

26. I've had good results with the POR 15 engine paint, brush it on and it dries with no brush marks and good coverage. I painted the "rare Ford experimental OHV" (thinly disguised 307 Chevy) in Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup in Ford flathead green using the POR 15 paint.

27. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Bill Hirsch engine enamel is excellent stuff, though a bit pricey at $36 retail a quart. But, it is designed for engines. I stock the stuff if you need any information and give Hamb'ers a discount. However, if you're closer to the east coast, shipping would be cheaper from Hirsch themselves.

www.hirschauto.com

28. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

It's a LOT cheaper than using Imron at $207/qt...;)

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

Looks great! Did you mix in some pearl?

30. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Man that is orange till Tuesday brother! Looks great!