Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inline 6 or Hemi in 57 F100???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickcadillacman, May 5, 2010.

1. VonMisfit

VonMisfit
    from Alabama

keep the 6! is it 223 or 240??

a hemi is a refreshing alternative to the standard chevy 350 combo that most guys will swap in with no true thought or care

2. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Even though I love the look of a vintage hot rod six, I'm not too crazy on the exhaust note. On the freeway, my old 235 sounded like a pissed off bumble bee. The 455 sounds much better.

3. Deuces

Deuces

My vote for a 392 :D

4. jimmy63t

jimmy63t

the hemi would be cool. but i would save it for something els. i would go with the six. but if you ever have the chance go with a y block they sound awesome and its just and all around good motor

5. HEMI!!!! I'm running a Plymouth 318 in my 1959 F100

6. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

I built up a 223 about 12 years ago for a friend. Did it cheap, used aluminum flywheel(reground) , headers I think from J.C. Whitney, reground a stock cam and lifters from Isky. 2-1bbl. glass bowl carbs, Offenhauser intake. Anyway all said and done was pretty fun to drive and made a lot of people look twice. I think we had about $1300-$1500 in the motor and could still afford to drive it.

Michael

7. I agree! Plenty of "cool" factor with a Y-Block. ;)
    Sounds great too! :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0NvpedlXFk

8. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

not sure what i would save it for though that's why i was thinking of using it over the 6 banger, yeah could go with a y block, but i don't have one... although i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find someone to trade with :p

this is all i currently have of it, it's currently back in my hometown until i finish purchasing my house (which should be this month :D)

[​IMG]

9. Loose the wheels!

10. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

definitely! getting lowered about 6 inches and some steelies and www tires ;)

11. conormulroney

conormulroney

I have a '54 with the 223 in it. It is one of those indestructible motors and is dead nuts reliable. If I had both motors (with trannys ) and they were in the same condition, hands down I would go with the Hemi. Find some cool wheels, keep the tool box and hot rod it!

Conor

12. I'll vote for the hemi. I've got a magazine from the 60's where they dropped a 392 into a 50's Ford truck and the fit/ease of installation seemed amazing. It looked really good and I'm sure the baby hemi would look just as impressive. Nice little truck by the way.

13. Yup steelies, lowered, Hemi with a loapy cam....=AWESOME TRUCK!!

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Asking whether to use a hemi or six banger is like asking: Who'd you rather see in a bikini, Megan Fox or Hillary Clinton?

15. As Clifford research would say 6 equals 8. :cool:
    go with the six, nice set of headers, aluminum 4 bbl manifold. and as others have said, save the hemi for some other project.

16. Now let me help you out here if you have to ask that question then you should probably put the hemi on a pallet and ship it to Raytown.

The hemi will be more work but that's hot rodding. Un;ess you are trying to make it your dads old shop truck as it was the hemi is the only way to go.

Oh and BTW the hemi stock will make more zot than your '60 inline six unless you really soup the six.

17. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

put the hemi in and sell me the six!!!

18. brokenpress

brokenpress
    from Chicago

i'd say 6. hemi for that other build down the road.

19. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

exactly what i was thinking :D

so your saying use the 6 banger huh? it is skinnier after all haha :p

interesting, from what i could figure out the hemi doesn't have that much power due to the low 7 to 1 compression and large stem valves restricting flow. i was planning on sticking it in as is with a few bolt-ons, so i didn't figure on it making a lot of power, more than the six yes, but not "it'll run circles around it" type power...

are these 6 bangers hard to find? your the third person that wants to buy it hahaha

and if i ever wanted to use it in another project down the line it's not like i couldn't swap the six back in it with very little work, or even a y block ;)

my guts telling me hemi for now i think... but if it doesn't run like it's supposed to i'll do the six.

20. 73RR

73RR

Check again...1956 Dodge 315 with single 4-bbl was rated at 260 hp @ 4800rpm; 310 lb-ft torque @ 2000 rpm; and 9.25 comp.

Put on a good 600cfm carb, electronic ign, maybe warm up the cam profile and you got yourself a genuine hot rod engine.

21. krooser

krooser

I forgot...Hemi's don't fit in F100's...

[​IMG]

22. twofosho

twofosho

If it's truly a 315 HEMI and it's usable, or even if it's just a complete but buildable core, the answer would be a no brainer for me. Just bear in mind the "little" Dodge is not the most common of engines, or even HEMIs for that matter, and might take some doing chasing down the bits to make it work. Sure would be fun showing it off or just driving it for that matter. There are several people on here very knowledgeable about early Poly and HEMI motors that could lead you through the labyrinth, maybe one will see this thread and chime in.

A few responses have mentioned the transmission, but no one has really addressed the issue. Unless you have the transmission you would use bolted up to the 315, or have the transmission and all the bits to bolt it up, getting the engine hooked to one could be problematical. If you have to go down the adaptor road, you'll find it's less a road than it is a money pit. Again, maybe one of the HAMBers that know these engines will help you out with the information to get you going.

Of course, if you're bucks down at the moment, the cheap, dirty, logical, and effective way into a reliable and relatively powerful powertrain would be to find a decent running 5.0 HO AOD donor (Fox Mustang and especially Lincoln Mk VII LSC) and stash the HEMI under the bench to wait for the right time and project. One thing's for sure, if you sell off the HEMI and just pocket the funds, you'll probably be kicking yourself later.

23. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

nice! :cool:

the info i got was from hothemiheads, the block number is l8d5 which traces back to a 1958 big truck or bus, which makes since cause it has a governed 2 barrel carb. they told me it had 7 to 1 compression and large restrictive sodium filled valves, but that it was a good base for a motor build. i couldn't find any specs for it but based on that i don't see it having a lot of hp stock although it probably still has decent torque... definitely more potential though!

nope not going to happen, they are incompatible hahahha... looking good!!!

the motor is complete and supposedly runs, it has a heavy cast iron bell housing on it, but no trans. i'm hoping to adapt the 3 on the tree (or maybe even a 3 speed with od). the only way to find out is to try it, i'm sure i have a spare 3 speed i could use to mock up... i thought the other day i saw a thread with someone adapting a t5 to the stock bell housing... where there's a will there is a way :D

24. draggin breath

draggin breath

I'm assuming that you are still young. bolt in the 6 banger in a weekend and drive it. I'm an old goat and jumped cars as a kid and never stayed focused. Tag and insure the truck before starting on it,that incentive will help keep you focused. But rule #1 is KISS and ride.

25. Good point! KISS in my favorite Kelly Johnson saying. ;)

26. I mean, a hemi would be cool. and a six would be a cheap route to go, but why not consider an FE? A 390 would be a simple swap, speed parts are relatively cheap, and its a stronger engine then that hemi. Just an idea.

27. malkintent

malkintent

hemi just cause no one else said it was a good idea! ill do it for ya cheap if ya buy the parts!

28. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

yep, just turned 27... that's pretty much my plan once i decide and get a motor in it, once it's running it will be registered and driven, and i'll get to the other things like wheels, tires, and lowering it later. i honestly don't think the hemi would be that much extra work to swap in, but it would be more expensive...

i don't know, the FE's have never really got me excited, i think i would rather do a y block than a FE. also i'm not really worried about making a bunch of power, just decent power with a cool factor :D

actually it's really close, i think the 6 banger is back in the lead by a couple, but the hemi was in the lead at one point... wish i would have started a poll