Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

It seems most people are sincere in trying to compliment the car or owner but just can't find the words. If we were at a corporate finance function we would be equally awkward. No prob with those folks and you can have a positive impact on someone impressed enough with your work or ride to be complimentary, even if they don't get it all correct.
    The problem I have is with the guy that tries to argue with you over the make and model of car or what type of engine you have when they are just a casual observer.
    Or people that make totally disconnected statements such as " Yeah, I had a '41 Chevy with a factory flathead V8 like that when I was a kid but I didn't screw it up like you". Problem is you're driving a '34 Ford and it's a textbook case of perfect classic hot rod. What can you saw to people like that who are both liars, exaggerators and rude, all in the same sentence?
    Asshat?

2. Eight433

Eight433

Haha.. Shortly after I bought the car, I got to looking at the 3-hole exhaust manifolds on my 67 Cadillac and had to count the spark plugs to double check that it wasn't a 429 v6 :p

Kidding, of course.
    Nobody has said too much too stupid about my car yet, but it hasn't seen much road time yet either. Although, every once in a while, when asked what size engine it has (429) they go on to ask "429 FORD?" :eek:
    Uhh.... no. Cadillac!:cool:

3. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I looked forever for 4 matching 16" ford artillery rims, then finally got a new set of 7.50 and 6.00 firestones from coker, and fit some cool 40 Ford deluxe caps to the rims. Then some moron at a show says, "now you need some 22s on it instead of those skinny ole tires" It wasn't worth going to prison, but close.

4. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Put me in the corner with a dunce hat on....I'm gonna admit I had no idea Caddy made a 429.

5. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Was working in the driveway on my Jeep this weekend and had the garage open. My 54 F100 is parked in the garage. Had a guy from around the corner out walking with his kid stop and say “Hey when did you get the rat rod?” We talked for a bit and I explained that it was going to be done as a Hot Rod and that rat rod was a dirty word.

6. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

I got pulled over a couple weeks ago in my 59 caddy. Cop asks while writing a ticket: So...why did you put those huge wings on there? Are you trying to make it the batmobile?

How do you politely tell a cop whose being (a little) nice and writing you only a little ticket for a big problem that hes a dumbass and the factory put "those huge wings on there"?

Another guy at a restaurant asked me when I was going to finish my 57 chevy. I told him its a 59 caddy and he told me i was wrong because they only put fins on 57 chevies. Thats why they're so rare. That made me laugh.
    -GothY-

7. Abomination

Abomination

Yep - '64 - '67 (the one-year-only '63 390 is also in this family).

~Jason

8. thomas_l

thomas_l

When I'm out/about on my '49 panhead chopper I get the comments about it marking it's territory. It only takes a minute to tell why it does that by design. There's an adjustable oil feed coming off the crank to lube the primary chain, then that slings off and is funneled onto the drive chain to keep it lubed. Of course there's some bonus drips that fall off every time you stop. It's 1949 tech and those engineers weren't worried about what well or river those oil drops would end up in.

Most people appreciate learning something they didn't know about old iron. For the few asshats that just don't get it, I just tell 'em "maybe it's good you don't have one of these" and move on.

9. jandk

jandk

How much you got$$$

10. WTF??? Why do you post a picture of a car that "looks just like it"?? You remind me of the old 'My friend/brother/friend of a friend/neighbor that has one just like this but "sadly this one is not his but his looks just like it with a 454 bbc" BS'er...

11. kustombypook

kustombypook

You are absolutely correct!

12. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

What's a "rattlecan cage"?

13. In California cans of spray paint (rattlecan) are locked up so the taggers can't buy paint unless someone unlocks the "cage" for them. A deterrent for graffity. I don't know if that is the case elsewhere?

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thatmust be a So Cal deal. i have never seen paint cans in a cage here.

15. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

I had a so called "Hot Rod" builder ask me how I was going to fabricate my tail light in my 56 chevy around my gas tank filler. I told him 56 tail lights open to put gas in them. He did not belive me until I put the tail light on the quarter panel and opened it up.

16. Rich, Maybe so, I don't know. Maybe a LA county thing... Even Home Depot has a "Cage". I don't know where the other fellow that mentioned it is from?

17. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Caged here too, (Mesa AZ) you need to be 18 to buy it.

-KK

18. Hahaha, I love it... My brother had a '56 Chevy, I always thought that was really cool.
    We used to mess with the new guys at a gas station I worked at to see if they could "find" the filler. Great fun, until the customer got bent for taking so long to fill his tank. There were other cars with hidden fillers also, but I can't remember any at the moment. Thanks for the laugh and memories...

19. Eight433

Eight433

I've gotten carded at walmart before when buying DRY GAS! WTF? You only gotta be 16 do drive a car, but you gotta be 18 to buy additives for the gas? Mmm kay.

20. Same thing in Vegas.

21. ChevyDevil

ChevyDevil

Walmart cards for such things here in Indiana but the auto parts places don't. LOL

Staying on topic:
    Drove the 55 2 1/2 hours to pick up paperwork for the boss. The guy I had to meet keeps rambling about how I "shouldn't be driving her this far" and how I "should keep her put up and make sure she stays safe". Sorry I'm going to drive her!

22. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

guys doing construction next door to my shop just asked if my 55 bel air was "a nova, right?"

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I had the opportunity to be the dumb expert a couple days ago. I was browsing coverage of the Lansing Autorama on Facebook, and one of the photos showed a 324 Olds with Ross Racing aluminum heads. I commented on how nice it looked, and then thought “wait, that had to be a Chevy with Olds valve covers”, and said as much. Then I saw the valley pan beneath the intake.

Oops. I’m blaming the tiny iPhone screen for my error.

-Dave

24. As long as we're not trying to say DUMB things the 6 cylinder Chrysler
    engine is NOT a flat head!;)
    Flat head or over head has nothing to do with the shape of the
    combustion chamber.:rolleyes:
    Bill.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK I'll bite. Ford flatheads were not flatheads either? Are you saying something about "L" heads not being flatheads? I'm confused

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think what he means is that once you put an overhead valve head on a flathead block, it’s no longer a flathead engine.

Thus, I suppose with a thick enough flathead, you could put hemispherical combustion chambers in a flathead head.

-Dave

27. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

So i was at the local cruise-in last night. When a guy started asking me about our car club. We are a traditional hot rod club and hate the term rat rod thats not what were about but anyway, the guy asked what car was mine and all that bs so i asked what he was driving. He say "o that little rat rod over there" and pointed to his 84' camaro that he had sprayed with rattle can primer and take the hood and all the interior out except the drivers seat. He went on to say "ya were a late model camaro rat rod club".At this point im laughing and just amazed at what this guy is saying.What has happen to people!

28. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

what year plymouth is that?? i had one just like it!! is that chopped??

29. nofin

nofin
    from australia

That's got a big engine! What is it? Four litre?

LS6 454 in a OT Firebird.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  30. Huh?!?! Flathead and overhead has EVERYTHING to do with the shape of the combustion chamber. Are you saying that an "L" head (which on my planet, we call a flathead) Ford and, say, a Chrysler hemi have the same combustion chamber shapes? Sorry, I don't understand your point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.