Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rattle can, dumbest idea i had...help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gunk, May 5, 2010.

1. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

So i decide to rattle can my 64 C10.....you can see all the streaks. Any idea how to fix. Scotch brite, then respray? Dumbass plan!

2. madgrinder

madgrinder

The trick is a good fan-tipped spray can.

Is it satin or gloss?

Satin... lay a little "dry spray" over the whole thing from about 12-14" away.

Gloss... scuff each panel and shoot each panel one-at-a-time. Get a coat that is semi-wet enough to flow-out. Use indirect lighting so you can see the wet texture, not just the coverage.

3. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

Primer. Maybe I should switch to satin. Only have one side done.
    Thanks.

4. Use one of those handles to make holding the can eaiser. Took 5 1/2 cans to do the 5w.

5. madgrinder

madgrinder

since you are not concerned with texture (primer), just make sure each pass overlaps the previous pass by half.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I washed my shoebox with scotchbrite sponges after it wad dry. Plenty of soap with water, towel dry. It'll even out.

7. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

Thanks guys. I will try the scotch pad and spray handle.

8. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

When I spray anything with a rattle can I use tips that are use for graffiti.they spray pretty wide and don't really leave streaks..

9. bikersteve

bikersteve

Might be better off buying or borrowing a spray gun, get a can of primer some slow reducer and/or retarder to mix with your primer to increase drying time

10. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Since I've never done graffiti, not sure which can that might be:p

11. cheemo

cheemo

I would sand it down and try again. Use a Fine paper - like 200 to 320. You might get away with 180 or something but why bother. I am sure you know, but the key to spray paint (and other paint) is thin layers, let it tack up then spray another thin layer. Spray can -> very thin layers = better final result.

12. cheemo

cheemo

I agree with bikersteve. A spray gun would be best.

13. 59mercsled

59mercsled

Go to the hardware store and pick up a pint of rustoleum and then go to harbor freight or steves wholesale tools and buy a $10 spray gun. Mix the rustoleum with thinner 2 to 1 and shoot away. You will have a nice job for under $30 bucks. This is how we did my friends s-10 last year after we had a rattle can disaster like yours.

14. oh no,...................better call maacco!!!! gotta be cheaper than than many rattle can bombs........just a thought

15. This is what I do. I painted my 32 frame with Rustoleum Satin and I've had several people tell me it's powder coat. USE THE VALSPAR HARDENER. You can get it from Tractor Supply.

16. 1962falcon

1962falcon

Go to a john deere tractor store you can get a gallon of blitz black paint for 30 bucks, or they offer it in a rattlecan that's made for painting tractors and shit

17. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

Blitz Black is a hot rodders dream, shoots nice in either a spray gun or a bomb can. It also looks very nice when it drys, with a spray gun you change how glossy it is.

18. Jake H.

Jake H.

If you want to get the crappy spray paint off, use a green scotch brite pad and some Comet. Do it soon, though.

19. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Harbor Freight Gravity Feed HVLP Spray Gun = $25
    Parts Store Gallon of Primer & Thinner = $25

Better finish than spray bombing it anyday.

20. Death to flat black!

All part of the played out imperialist sick boy kit! It is because of the abuse of the proletariat masses by those who insist on making their cars look like barbeque grills that glossy pastel colors and splash graphics will make a comeback!

If we communists believed in hell we would say, "To hell with the flat black barbeque driving capitalist bandits!"

Phuck Mi? No, Phuck Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Fan tips and one panne lat a time, hood fender door bedside

22. Def. get a gun and gallon. it will look really smooth if you just overlap your lines as you go and make sure you practice on some cardboard panels to get it down and build confidence.

Good Luck

23. Muttley

Muttley

You know you've arrived when Ngo Long Dong makes an appearance on your thread. How are things at the spark plug factory?

24. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i just rattle canned the bottom half of my car. forgive the glare in the picture off the chrome, its the only one i took today and its dark out now!!

anyways, a lot of guys wanna get "the good stuff" when they rattle can so they go rustoleum. ive found that stuff covers great but is more likely to cause "tiger stripes" as we call em. we use the krylon stuff. it doesnt cover as well and takes more passes and a couple cans more but the cans come with a nice fan tip and spray really well. just take your time and layer it on. your not gonna get it to cover your first pass so just get an even coat on a panel, let it dry for a min and start again. repeat until you feel its thick enough and you are sure you dont have "holidays" aka light spots.

also, flat is the easiest to lay down, satin coming in close second. its the gloss you really have to work at to avoid tiger stripes

the rustoleum is $5.00+ a can and the krylon is $2.87? a can. i just did mine yesterday! ive got some sanding to do on the roof before i rattle can it

[​IMG]

also forgive the stupid fender spears...they are coming off soon!!!

25. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

google montana hardcore spray paint

They make spray paint specifically for graffiti, and sell caps that will fit most paint cans. They should help with what size you'll need.

26. koolkat

koolkat
    from Merced CA

Spray each panel side to side, then vertically, then diagonally each way. Then a final wet coat.

27. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

The trick to rattle canning stuff is layer on layer spread evenly with lots of sanding between each coat. It just takes forever.

28. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

A cheap spray gun and a gallon of primer or even rustoleum.It will cost you half as much as all those rattle cans.

Just be careful. Once you shoot your own primer, you'll see how easy it is and you'll want to start shooting real paint over it.

Don't be afraid to spray your own car.. it's easy.

29. how many cans do you guys usually use? I've never sprayed canned a car but always wondered that

30. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

It's always good to see Long Dong.

No wait, that didn't come out right