Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So the title of the Thread you started is:

" Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours! "

At least one shop has offered to start a build ....

I have offered free transport of the body & associated
    parts to a shop that will start the build

Seems you need to donate the body & get the ball rolling :cool:

It is that simple .........

Jim

2. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

The body has already been donated but unless Ryan owns it no one will donate anything and nor should they. I don't want to own it because I'll have mud thrown at me for "getting the hamb to build your car for you" as I was acused in the first page.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the car back. I stated that clearly at the start. Maybe I should just start a thread and find the most deserving individual and give it to them but what value will that add to this board? None and I just become a mug who gave his car away to some guy.

I have said repeatedly I'm open to all suggestions. Let's presume Ryan's not interested. Now what?

3. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I don't think it's like they don't "support" the project. I imagine it's like this:

If Ryan steps forward and says "Yes this should/will happen", then everyone will rely on him for everything before anything happens. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need any more projects in the mix. It would be unfair of us to think he should be the sole and primary thrust for a project with the potential to be this complex.

This project shouldn't be bigger than it is. This car, as it sits right now, is a car that has been offered up as a community project. It would be no easier for Ryan to quarterback the project than Aussie Bill ('Cause Bill lives in OZ...and there are other Bills reading, probably:)). Maybe it would be a tad easier.

That's kinda what I meant by us seeing if this could get moving without a label. If this can be done...or if Aussie Bill, you would like to get this going, sign a Bill of Sale and send it to Ryan with money to send it back to you if he doesn't want to do this.

It kinda has the feeling of an idea with all the supplies...just no build plans. We need plans. And a manager. And in this case, the owner (whether current or a prospect) should be the manager.

Brian

And don't call me Hoosier Brian, Aussie Bill.

If anything call me Mis-placed Texan Brian.:D

4. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

True, I agree. Ryan has stated he thinks it's a great but I'm guessing it's "can't" more than "won't". I think he would like to get this off the ground but maybe I'm propsing the impossible. I just thought it would be neat to get this going...if only we lived in a legal vacuum. But we don't and my head's got a new bald stop from all the scratching.

I would love to be as much a part of this as I can be from over here. The car is waiting for someone to pick it up and start.

At this stage in my mind I don't own the car anymore so if you guys can put together a plan to make this happen then great. If not maybe I should just start a hamb auction, give half to a charity or for an emergency fund for members down on their luck?

5. TRUST ....

Does anyone with a positive post on this Tread have a doubt
    that once this body gets to a shop, the shop owner will try
    to somehow keep it ..... :confused:

This is a Thread with a lot of interest and a lot of input ;)

Ryan is not the reason things aren't moving forward ....

PICK A SHOP & I WILL GET IT THERE .....

If you build it .....
    It will run ....

Jim

6. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

But who will donate parts and time to my car? Or a shop's car?

Pick a shop. Who can we trust to do the right thing with this car?

7. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I'm with Jim. Chances are the car will go to a HAMBers shop who happens to be an Alliance Member (I know I'm not...part of it is lack of funds:( and the other part is I really hate my screenname). That would kinda give you a place to start if they flake out, which I would doubt they would cause this is the HAMB and we are many! I have an unbelievable amount of confidence in the HAMB membership. If anyone has come on here an openly said they'd contribute, I believe them 150%.

Maybe it is about trust, but part of trust is chance. Let's take a chance.

Whaddaya say mate? (yes I picture Paul Hogan when I think Australia...and uber-gorgeous women)

8. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Ok, let's choose an Alliance member's shop.

9. Bill,

Go back thru your Thread and choose a shop that has offered
    to host the build :cool:

Post your choice here on the Thread & allow that member
    to reply here on the Thread

Once that member commits I will go about scheduling a connecting
    load to the Denver area to pick up the body & transport

Jim

10. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I saw Ryno offered his shop. If he is still on board, I would see if he could have it there in MO (I think) until design is decided. But he would probably like to know who technically "owns" the car so he isn't subject to any type of suit.

EDIT: Also, I am in no way preferring own shop over the other, if there are others who offered. Ryno's was just the first I saw.

11. Sounds like a plan to me -- I am willing to help create a "project plan", help organize the charter, rules of engagement, and all the jazz (as noted in a prior post) . . . AND I'm willing to donate some flathead parts and potentially be a flathead motor builder - if the project is right and we can CLEARLY define WHAT, WHEN, WHERE and HOW this all works.

Okay - any respectable Alliance Members with shops in CO? A group of shops might be better . . . as long as we can figure out the 'end game', ownership/title, liability, etc..

12. Once the choice is made for a host shop to start the build,
    I will go about scheduling connecting loads to pick up the body.

At that point, with a commitment by a host shop, I will
    lay out a route from the pick up point of the body to the drop
    off point at the host shop.

Any member who wishes to donate parts for the build that
    is directly along the route or can relay parts to HAMBers
    directly along the route can post on this Thread and
    I will pick up as time & space allow :D

My intent is that everything is transparent so all HAMBers
    can see what transpires

If you build it .....
    It will run .....

Jim

13. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Okay I have been watching for a while Here is my take on this.I think you might be overthinking the problem. Dont just pic one shop. Pass it around If you want to help just step up, if you dont sit down. Ryan hasnt said no, so lets just run with it. It has no title lets keep it that way. A race car shouldnt have a title anyhow. Start a social group to handle the day to day. What questions to ask where it needs to go what parts are where and where do they need to go etc. I think you will have lots of volunteer management. Let the HAMB vote via poll. What kind of race car What paint scheme What motor etc. Let the members sign up for a lottery to make a pass in the car when its done. Donate the cost of a ticket to the HAMB. Run the car for a couple of years and sell it and donate the money to the HAMB. If it works build another one and do it all over again. Lets build a HAMB club car

14. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Dam you guys type fast.

15. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Ya kidding me? Zombrian is a great screen name. lol

And x2 on the second part. Bill you mentioned just giving it away as a last resort, and if the shop screws us and keeps the car, whats the difference? You were already planning on not regaining the cost of the car, we ourselves have nothing invested at this point, what can it hurt?

16. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

x2 lol

17. RichG

RichG

Whoever builds the car, wherever they build the car, I will still pony up as much money as my broke ass can afford to. I hope that the people who made offers earlier still feel the same way.

If this thing becomes the unofficial Hamb members car, or the Hamb Alliance car, or it gets auctioned off and the money goes to the Hamb, it's all good to me. I get to watch a bitchin' car be put together and have the pride in knowing that I had some small part in it.

As far as those who say it can't be done, I'm willing to bet not too many of them are Alliance members... or am I wrong on that?:D

18. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Right? I like horror flicks and my name is Brian. Simple enough. But I hate signing in with it. I'll think of something, and when I do it will be the biggest and oddest mass event ever! Imagine having to clean up the mess that is made when I blow all of your minds!:D

19. blt2go

blt2go

damn it, i'm in. i'll donate any blasting (soda, sand or media) to this project. i'm willing to travel 100 miles any direction to meet someone with the car or parts. i'll even prime it, but then i'm afraid i'll have to bow out, as my shop is full and i have customers to please.

20. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Ryno's sounds like a good place to start. With the HAMB drags in a few months people will be headed his way already and could handle a lot of the shipping. He will probably have donuts on saturday before the Drags start. Deliver parts get a dounut what a deal.

21. Well I am signing off for tonight ...

Those 50 to 75 m.p.h. headwinds on I-80 kinda took
    a toll on me today in Wyoming ....

For what its' worth ...

Out of respect of the HAMB heritage I think a Texas
    host shop would be a logical choice :cool:

Jim

22. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

The project plan should take into account all the various shops specialties, etc. and the correct order for the coupe to visit them. For example, blt2go on post 529 said he'd blast it, and that needs to be early in the build. He's in the OK Panhandle. From there to the next destination, etc.

And the project plan needs have steps to TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.

23. great idea and with enough positive hambers getting onboard, this could be a huge thing.
    ill be watching with intrest and will donate funds when it gets of the ground.

24. metalman

metalman

Been awhile since I've commented here, been sitting back and watching where this project idea goes. I'm surprised that we haven't had any real input from Ryan other then the one post, I would of guessed by now we would of had a least a yes, no or maybe, still working on it response. ??? Regardless, I don't see why it can't move forward anyway. If enough of us are on board I don't know why we can't form a social group and go ahead and do it. Without Ryan's permission it might not be able to run the HAMB logo but we're talking race car, no title anyway. The car would end up belonging to the members that joined the project, i.e. the social group and they would have sole discrestion on the direction the build goes and ultimately what happens to it when it's done by popular vote of this social group membership, not the HAMB general membership.The plan is to build it with donated parts, labor and money, the key word is donated. No one is going to lose anything they haven't willingly given away anyway. Maybe it will be a disaster in the end but what a fun ride to get there.
    I'm in and ready to get started. Have been from early on in this thread. My offer from back then still stands, I have a shop, I have the time. I can get this project started. I don't have the energy to totally build this car but I do have 30+ years experiance managing custom car builds, at times dealing with shops all over the country on the same car all while meeting deadlines. Once a build style was decided I could set up a build plan and delegate when and where it needs to be to get it done. I know there are other offers to do this from no dought just as qualified people, I'm just throwing my hat into the ring again to show I'm ready. After 27 pages I say let's either get started or let this thing die.
    Would be nice to at least get permission to run a HAMB logo on it.

25. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Sounds good to me. Do you need it blasted on the way?

26. metalman

metalman

Talking to me? If so, no. Made that mistake on the Vicky I'm building, went thru the trouble and cost of media blasting a lot of metal that ended up in the dumpster. It needs to be analized and a logical build plan done first.

27. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I love this idea! I'd be happy to help with any transporting around/through Utah, and will donate any parts I have that are applicable during the build. I can also offer storage if/when needed. I know thats not much, but if this goes I'd love to offer whatever I can afford.

28. Deadbird

Deadbird

Wow. This sure has generated a bunch of interest, or at least comments. Sounds pretty fun to me. Thanks for dreaming this up Bill.

Not sure what, when or how I can contribute, but if this thing gets moving I'll do something to help. Heck, I can at least buy a t-shirt when they come out.

29. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I think we need to get this to Albuquerque, NM as it's first move.

30. metalman

metalman

Lets rock & roll! Let's see if TrulyVintage is headed this way, tell him I'll show him some old trailers while he's here. If not I'll see if I can't run up and get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.