Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

What chassis is this on? Is it the original ?

2. colettamerc

colettamerc
    from Orlando,Fl

Thanks everyone I will post some updates in a day or two. Its on a 1980 Olds chassis and channeled. I am going semi traditional but I love reliability so it is kinda all over the place so semi modern frame and modern motor I put a LS-1 in it. Done flame me to bad ;).

Attached Files:

3. It's okay....you aren't in SoCal,so we're used to seeing this,hahahaha!!!!
    Just kidding! The car looks great. Make sure you post some more pic's when it's on the road. I'm curious what it's gonna look like.

4. choptvan

choptvan

5. Bossy

Bossy

Mine is done now! Took about a year.

Attached Files:

6. I've had a lot of LS1 experience, I like those swaps. What headers are you running?

7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I like it!

8. colettamerc

colettamerc
    from Orlando,Fl

They are Sanderson headers. I like the ls-1 and the Lt-1's. I also have used them in the past here is a Impala I build a couple years ago with the Lt-1. Its nice to have a fuel injected motor you can just go out in the garage turn the key it starts without even pumping the gas.:D

Attached Files:

9. I've seen some 90's Impala guys run other headers, can't think of what they are offhand. I wonder if they would fit too. What alternator bracket is that you are running, as you know the alt would be located down low on the driver's side for an LS1 from the factory.

Love that your car is hard topped, I think a hard top and chopped '51 is the best look for a '51.

10. WoW!! Looks like this thread is open to streetrod mercs as well,thats cool at least the blue merc left the 51 rear window in a 51 mercury and it looks like a very quality finished car as well.

11. colettamerc

colettamerc
    from Orlando,Fl

Yes, I relocated the alternator but I might have to relocate it again if I add A/C. I got the bracket from a speed shop in Caili.

12. HRod 50

HRod 50

Yes, talk to RICK at Extreme Kustoms EXK on this board. He does do them reversed just to do something different but he can easily do this. I'm thinking about something similar next year or so when the body goes in for some serious Kustomizing, and painting.. Sam Barris, Dick Dean,Bill Hines, and of course Radical Rick Erickson all in one car:eek:.. Can't wait!

13. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I have looking to see how this was done and what I have seen is that some use an additional piece of sheet metal on to the hood that creates the cavity. I always thought that they were cutting into the hood. Please excuse the crude attempt, but I used the photo you had and made an outline of what shape I thought it would be based on what I found out. I know there are some gurus here that know more about this than me!

Attached Files:

14. There's more than one way to do it. Most do it like 51 Leadsled has descrived above. I do it a little diffenent thoe. I donot like to change the natural flow of the hood by adding a panel on top of it. I cut the hood and sink it a little and then shape the top edge of the scoop from 3/16" round rod slightly higher than the orginal hood skin and panel over. In easy terms sink 50% raise 50%. Oh it only takes a narrow opening about 1/2" at the widest section on the opening to get a real good effect.

Rick Erickson

Attached Files:

15. HRod 50

HRod 50

Told Ya! Going to Be Cool, Very Coooooollllllllllll.

16. colettamerc

colettamerc
    from Orlando,Fl

Got a door hung today and the fender skirts back on NOW its starting to take shape should have everything but the bumpers and interior wrapped up by the weekend. Cant wait to go cruising!

Attached Files:

17. I wonder how low some of your taildragger Mercs are?

18. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Good ol thread back up! Nice.

I am about halfway through Fermiumhalo's new '49 coupe, the chop is just about done, just a few more hours of welding and hating life. From there I should be ready to put the front end back on, get the 8.8 rear in, and maybe even get this turd running.

I've been working on my '51 driver coupe too, spent a few nights this past week cutting a '79 Olds 98 down to the floor/chassis. I got the car running and for free, with no title so there was little I could do with it scrap wise, figured might as well use it. I can say unless the rest of the project flies right through, I don't know Id ever go this route again. It's a shit load of work, but it has been on my "bucket list" of things I wanted to do someday, and I plan on swapping the front rotors to Chevy pattern, using some 49-54 Chevy rims to bring the wheels in, and I have a set of 54 Ford wheel lips to give me a smidge more clearance.

19. efmautoclutch

efmautoclutch

Been driving mine for 600 miles testing and making sure everything is strong. Getting ready to shut it down, im in Ohio, and going to finish the body work, interior and paint.

520 ci blown Ford, 5 speed Lenco, tubed, caged, rear view camera,ps,pb,pw, air, 12 function remote keyless entry, etc,etc,etc.

This is a grocery getter, 0-100 450 feet.

Attached Files:

20. well mine made it to the home just in time for Halloween.A 49 wood wagon, Very scary, ginormous project for a fist timer. All of you on the H.A.M.B. instill me with visions of grandeur and a can do anything attitude. I am still in the overwhelmed stage and having to reduce the project into many small projects. one thing at a time figuring out first things first. I suppose that would be a solid platform on which to build a car. Picked up a 9 inch and some Super slide springs next is the front end. So many options and so little cash.

21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Still collecting parts.

22. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

My '55 wagon is headed to the chop shop this Saturday. I am in the middle of making the 4-Door into a 2-Door. Once that is done it hheads out fora 3" total roof lowering.
    Glenn

23. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

How about some updates???

The '62s body got dropped back onto the frame for the first time in 2.5 yrs. All the floors, rockers, and rear quarters have been replaced. There was some minor clearance issues with the 4-link, so the body came right back off again, but it still felt like progress was being made. Hopefully I can get the motor, trans, and steering mocked up soon. Slow and steady or something like that....

[​IMG]

24. Have done a 5" chop since last posting here.
    Still a ton of work to get it finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. I hadn't bumped this one up for a while, any of you guys have some updates on your cars?

Mine is over with VooDoo Larry here in Elk Grove Illinois. We decided to re-cut my glass (except for the rear window) since none of it fit with factory gaskets and some of it was de-laminating. Also based on a few thousand folks urging me to run real vent windows in the doors, I bought a pair of frames from Bill Papke so Larry can cut then to fit.

26. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

My 51 Merc project is making progress. The chassis is complete waiting for the SBF and AOD trans. Should have both this month.

UnionVilleHaunt (Chris) is finishing up the bodywork. Glass is being cut and fitted. Body should be in primer in the next week. Transport to Savannah is planned by first week of May.

Here are a couple of pix.

Attached Files:

27. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Here are a couple of 51 Merc body work-in-progress pix.

Attached Files:

28. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

My 50 Merc project is a different story. Took it apart and bought the necessary pieces to fix the floors, trunk, and inner/outer rockers. Started the work, but quickly decided it was beyond my skill set to do it justice. So, I put it back together so that it can be finished by UnionVilleHaunt.

Here are some pix. Had removed the front sheet metal for media blasting and now in grey epoxy primer.

Attached Files:

29. Nice Joe, you plan to keep both?

30. Mom's Cyclone is coming along fine- down to the seats and a few emblems. They are keeping the car this summer for local cruise-ins and I'll get my time with it this next winter. It came out of the barn in 2006 where it sat since 1987. It will be good to get wind in the grille of the old girl again.

Attached Files: